Fishless cycle

strepsils

Hi all!

Very new to goldfish and to the forum I just joined today. I want to get into this hobby, seems fun and enjoyable just looking at them, imagine if I was looking after them! :pianobanana

I suppose I just wanted to know a little more about fishless cycles. "Stakos" on this forum has kindly linked me to the 'fishless cycling' thread. Theres a lot of info to extract from there. It states that it may take up to 40days?!?!?! I don't think I can wait that long :blush:

In regards to cycling the tank should I just do it properly or is there an alternative??

Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance:)

Definitely do a fishless cycle. I know it can be a long wait however it is so much easier on both you and your fish.

During the cycling process toxins like ammonia and nitrite build up in your tank. These toxins can damage your fish's, burn their body, make their blood inefficient at carry oxygen, and even kill them. So, when you cycle with a fish in the tank they are exposed to all this stuff which is incredibly stressful for them, and the only way to keep the water safe is lots and lots of water changes (think an 80% change daily). This is time consuming and stressful for you!

With a fishless cycle you don't have to worry about your fish getting sick, toxins building up or daily water changes! :)

I completely agree! A fishless cycle is certainly the way to go. It is much less work and you don't have the worry of keeping the parameters low for the fish, which, in effect, extends the cycle for an even longer period of time.

A cycle can take anywhere between 4-12 weeks, generally around 6 weeks is the average for most people, however if you do know people who keep fish and are able to, you can also seed your filter with already cycled media from an established tank (providing the tank it comes from has a healthy history).

When cycling, aeration and a temperature of around 22C will be great for bacterial bloom

You will preferably want to also purchase a liquid test kit to monitor your cycle as you will need to add some form of ammonia to the tank in the beginning. As far as I am aware I could not find pure ammonia anywhere around where I live in Aus, so I just add food to the tank for a week to build ammonia up to 6ppm, and that is enough for it to cycle through, with some more being added at the end of the cycle to be sure the ammonia is being properly cycled through.

For goldfish (I am not sure if you are aware) you want to be looking at a tank size of 75L for one fancy goldfish, and an additional 40L per fish added, and filtration filtering 10x the capacity of the tank per hour :)

I couldn't agree more with what's been said. Although it requires patience, it's easier because if you have fish in the tank and the ammonia and nitrites climb, you will be doing daily water changes or your fish will be injured or killed. I've done daily WCs -- trust me, it's not fun.

You could try to speed up the process by buying an additive that claims to help cycle your tank. You still need to follow the process -- add a source of ammonia and watch for nitrite and then nitrate. But several additive claim to introduce beneficial bacteria to speed the process. Many people are skeptical that they work, but it doesn't hurt to try. You MUST have ammonia in the tank for them to work, so you still have to start the fishless cycling process BEFORE adding the cycling product.

Here are a couple of options: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html and http://answers.tetra-fish.com/answers/0596-en_us/product/4224/tetra-safestart-questions-answers/questions.htm

I'm in the process of a fishless cycle right now. Tomorrow will be week 3...and NOTHING has happened for me yet. No reduction in ammonia...and no nitrites showing up. I took some advice I got from the helping people here, and added some crushed coral, and a bacterial supplement you can buy in pet stores. I'm getting a bit impatient, but I know it's much better having to wait than making a fish suffer while my aquarium cycles.

Like Narny said, temperature and aeration are important for the aerobic bacteria to grow. Make sure your temperature is optimal and if you don't have an air stone, I would lower the water level a little bit to make sure that there is enough oxygen in the water from your filter.

I'm in the process of a fishless cycle right now. Tomorrow will be week 3...and NOTHING has happened for me yet. No reduction in ammonia...and no nitrites showing up. I took some advice I got from the helping people here, and added some crushed coral, and a bacterial supplement you can buy in pet stores. I'm getting a bit impatient, but I know it's much better having to wait than making a fish suffer while my aquarium cycles.

You may need to add more ammonia depending on what your reading is ( aim for 6ppm) if not, you will just have to be patient unfortunately.

Like it has been said; more aeration and a good temperature of 22C is optimal for bacteria