Just ordered plants, medicine, ect.

Hey! I just wanted to let you all know that I ordered some Rid All, Prazi Prime, flexible air bubbler, anubias coffeefolia, and two banana plants. I have a question. Can I quarantine 2 goldfish in my 29g(main tank) without hurting the beneficial bacteria and plants?

Yes Prazi is very gentle and wont harm your cycle or plants :) prazi is most effective a .1% and shouldn't harm your plants too bad but if you are worried get a sterlite tub and stick them in there till treatment is done ;)

yes you can QT your fish in the 29 gallon without hurting the plants or cycle if you are just using salt and prazi. I would avoid using the 'rid all' and would honestly see if you can return it and get your money back. Broad spectrum products like this are usually not the best choice and can often do more harm than good to both your fish and your cycle.

For prazi, you'll want to salt the tank to .1% (1 tsp per gallon) and do 4-6 rounds of prazi, keeping salt at .1% for the duration of treatment. Prazi schedule is:

Day 1: add prazi/salt

Day 4: big water change (remember to add back in salt you took out)

Day 5: big water change, add prazi

Day 9: big water change

Day 10: water change, add prazi

Etc. etc. until you have added prazi 4-6x

Just remember with plants you dont want the salt to go above the .2% range... Some plants like Swords will melt

Some are certainly more sensitive, but if you're just getting anubias they will be fine. They are very hardy plants

• Admin
Just remember with plants you dont want the salt to go above the .2% range... Some plants like Swords will melt

Some are certainly more sensitive, but if you're just getting anubias they will be fine. They are very hardy plants

But of course my dear... They are the hardest plants I know of :thumb: Oh and Java Ferns WOOT!

Thanks guys! Bagho told me that rid all is a miracle worker when goldfish have fungal infections. I was not going to use it when first introducing fish; just when I need to QT a fish when it has an infection. Should I really return it?

Thanks guys! Bagho told me that rid all is a miracle worker when goldfish have fungal infections. I was not going to use it when first introducing fish; just when I need to QT a fish when it has an infection. Should I really return it?

You can certainly keep the Rid all if you like, just to have on hand... the main ingredient is acriflavine I believe, which is used occasionally, but it is pretty rare that this would be recommended.

If you would like to get some good meds to keep on hand order metromeds and medigold from http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/listing.php?parentId=5 These are more frequently used (metromeds more so than medigold, but they are good to have on hand since they need to be ordered and there is nothing worse than waiting for meds to ship when your fish is sick). And of course you should always have salt on hand.

If one of your fish ever becomes ill and needs to be QT'd please post here and we can help you problem solve and figure out what the best treatment is. It's best not to jump to medications right away as many issues can be solved without medications or even with just salt :)