Nerite Snails

Shenlon

I need to get a couple nerite snails. I am having an outbreak of brown algae. It is just everywhere.

I do have a few questions before I do this.

1) My tank is finished cycling, but I am not ready to add a fish in. So I am adding about .50 -1 PPM of ammonia every 24 hours. Will a snail be alright in the ammonia and high nitrates ?

2) They do not breed in fresh water correct ? I really do not want a colony of snails.

3) The tank is 125 Gallons, If I dedicate 5 gallons to snails, how many is that going to support ?

4) I have heard they can and will escape a tank. There is a gap at the top of my tank. Do I have to worry that the snails are going to make a run for it ?

5) Once the algae is under control , what do you feed them ? And how to make sure they get the food when a fish is added ?

6) Where can one buy the zebra (white/black stripe) nerites ?

Thank you in advanced for all the help you can give :)

I currently have some horned zebra nerites...............and I love them....................they have done a wonderful job on the brown diatoms...............

They CAN produce waste, but not as much as my Apple snails.................I just have one per tank right now....tanks range in sizes of 10 gallon, 30 gallon, 29 gallon and the 55 gallon..............

They are not SUPPOSE to breed successfully anyway in fresh water tanks.

as far as escape goes............with just having "standard type lids" I have not noticed any going MIA.........................

once algae is under control, I give mine algae waffers....cucumber slices..............lettuce leaf..............

I got my nerites off of EBAY.........have been VERY pleased with them.............. :D

Edited by Sharkbait3

I actually just got 5 horned nerites from aquabid today! :) I was surprised just how teeny tiny they are compared to apple snails. I'm excited to see how they do.

You might check aquabid in addition to ebay, there are a couple different kinds up right now, but not zebra striped ones. You may just have to keep an eye out if you want that kind specifically :)

I also have horned nerites and got mine off ebay. In my tanks, they never run out of algae. Since I have a few tanks, I can move them around if it looks like they've cleaned on completely. I have tried feeding them, but they apparently aren't hungry.

Horned nerites are smaller than zebra nerites, and they are able to climb on leaves and munch on that algae. I absolutely love them.

I actually just got 5 horned nerites from aquabid today! :) I was surprised just how teeny tiny they are compared to apple snails. I'm excited to see how they do.

You might check aquabid in addition to ebay, there are a couple different kinds up right now, but not zebra striped ones. You may just have to keep an eye out if you want that kind specifically :)

Mine were "pea size" or smaller when I got them..............and here to tell you they grow !!!!