New tank cycle

redgold54

Did you add a bacterial supplement?

I added the first batch some days ago. Will add more in two days or so. I don't think it had any effect. And the bacterial supplement STINKS! :Dont-Believe:

What kind did you get I know some bacteria supplements need to be added daily?

sniped by Alex :rofl

Which one did you use? I don't remember any of the ones I used stank.

Also, some of this stuff really works, but a great bunch of them can be hocus pocus.

I used MicrobeLift Special Blend

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I remember now. I think Sakura mentioned that she's used it before, but did not get any appreciable results.

The best one, as I understand it, is Dr. Tim's One and Only. After that, try Seachem Stability. Then, Nutrafin Cycle or Tetra Safestart.

Cycle Day 9

Did a water change and ammonia came down to 2ppm. I'm using the API water kit and it jumps from 2 to 4. It's really hard to tell how much ammonia is exactly in the tank. Should I leave it at 2ppm or bring it up a little bit more. I'm hesitant about adding more ammonia because the test kit jumps from 4 to 8pmm.

Lets help you for future ammonia doses so you know exactly how much ammonia to put in your tank to reach a specific ppm. What type of ammonia are you using? Click the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page. Enter your tank size, % of ammonia and desired ppm (default is 5ppm)- it will give you the exact dose in mls. I am taking a guess here but if your using the Ace Hardware ammonia, the dose should be @16mls to reach 4ppm. http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Next, I have little faith in the bottled bacteria products- they are hit or miss at best and some contain the wrong types of bacteria which will actually interfere with a cycle. Do you know anyone with healthy, cycled tank or pond? Getting some of their filter media is the easiest way to jumpstart a cycle. Another option is to purchase 'active' (cycled) filters from AngelsPlus.com. I can post a link if your interested.

Lastly, have lots of patience and make sure you are keeping daily tabs on your ph. When cycling from scratch, it typically takes 2-4wks for an initial ammonia drop to start to occur. :)

Lets help you for future ammonia doses so you know exactly how much ammonia to put in your tank to reach a specific ppm. What type of ammonia are you using? Click the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page. Enter your tank size, % of ammonia and desired ppm (default is 5ppm)- it will give you the exact dose in mls. I am taking a guess here but if your using the Ace Hardware ammonia, the dose should be @16mls to reach 4ppm. http://www.fishforum...-calculator.htm

Next, I have little faith in the bottled bacteria products- they are hit or miss at best and some contain the wrong types of bacteria which will actually interfere with a cycle. Do you know anyone with healthy, cycled tank or pond? Getting some of their filter media is the easiest way to jumpstart a cycle. Another option is to purchase 'active' (cycled) filters from AngelsPlus.com. I can post a link if your interested.

Lastly, have lots of patience and make sure you are keeping daily tabs on your ph. When cycling from scratch, it typically takes 2-4wks for an initial ammonia drop to start to occur. :)

I am using Austin's Clear Ammonia. Today I aded 5ml of ammonia to see how much it increases. According to the calculator above, my tank requires 19ml of ammonia to reach 5ppm with 9.5% of ammonia in solution. The problem is that I don't know the percent of ammonia in Austin's Clear Ammonia. I'll test my water in a few hours to see the ammonia level.

• Admin

Lets help you for future ammonia doses so you know exactly how much ammonia to put in your tank to reach a specific ppm. What type of ammonia are you using? Click the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page. Enter your tank size, % of ammonia and desired ppm (default is 5ppm)- it will give you the exact dose in mls. I am taking a guess here but if your using the Ace Hardware ammonia, the dose should be @16mls to reach 4ppm. http://www.fishforum...-calculator.htm

I am using Austin's Clear Ammonia. Today I aded 5ml of ammonia to see how much it increases. According to the calculator above, my tank requires 19ml of ammonia to reach 5ppm with 9.5% of ammonia in solution. The problem is that I don't know the percent of ammonia in Austin's Clear Ammonia. I'll test my water in a few hours to see the ammonia level.

Thate is the best way... Add 5ml in and test the tank... Dont allow it to get to 5ppm if you do it will cause problems. Max is 4ppm :)

Thate is the best way... Add 5ml in and test the tank... Dont allow it to get to 5ppm if you do it will cause problems. Max is 4ppm :)

Cycle Day 10

ammonia: around 4ppm

• Admin

Cycle Day 11

ammonia: 4ppm

waiting for this to happen is ridic. I'm so tired of looking at an empty tank. And the thought of having to wait MORE weeks to quarantine fish is just out of this world.

Got some live plants?

Plants will definitely help but just make sure they are disinfected first. You can also try here (http://www.angelsplu...ltersSponge.htm) if you do not know anyone that can lend you some cycled media. Just make sure its an 'active' sponge filter- otherwise you are just getting a plain, new filter.

Edited by jessicalee