Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

New tank cycle

Started my cycle today.

Ammonia reading is at 4ppm (around what the article on fishless cycle said)

Will test again tomorrow to see what changes

Yay :D congrats on the tank cycling I am sending speedy vibes in hopes it will go smoothly and quickly for you ;)

Yay :D congrats on the tank cycling I am sending speedy vibes in hopes it will go smoothly and quickly for you ;)

Thank you! :-)

starting this tank up has been a drag!

I wouldn't expect changes too soon. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I started my tank cycle, and the ammonia hasn't budged from 4-5 ppm yet. I followed the instructions I found here also. This is not a very quick process. From what I can tell at least. :)

Cycle Day 2

Ammonia 4ppm

Nitrite 0

Also ammonia is added to the tank again ONLY when it reaches zero?

I wouldn't expect changes too soon. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I started my tank cycle, and the ammonia hasn't budged from 4-5 ppm yet. I followed the instructions I found here also. This is not a very quick process. From what I can tell at least.

It all depends on the tank :) some will cycle in a month, others can take 3. There are a lot of factors at play in each individual system

Cycle Day 2

Ammonia 4ppm

Nitrite 0

In the beginning you can add more ammonia when it begins to drop. For example if it dropped to 2 ppm in a couple days I would add a little more to bring it back up to 4. When you are further along in the process you can wait for it to drop to 0, but right now you want a steady amount of ammonia

Cycle Day 2

Ammonia 4ppm

Nitrite 0

In the beginning you can add more ammonia when it begins to drop. For example if it dropped to 2 ppm in a couple days I would add a little more to bring it back up to 4. When you are further along in the process you can wait for it to drop to 0, but right now you want a steady amount of ammonia

ah ha. I see. Thank you. I read the fishless cycle article. I think my nervousness keeps me from understanding the whole thing.

Also, I don't know if you have a heater or not. But if you do turn up the heat a bit to about 80-82 degrees F. And if you have an air stone, crank it up. If you don't have an airstone, lower the water level and let the filter's trickle oxygenate the water. I did mine in about 3 weeks.

Also, I don't know if you have a heater or not. But if you do turn up the heat a bit to about 80-82 degrees F. And if you have an air stone, crank it up. If you don't have an airstone, lower the water level and let the filter's trickle oxygenate the water. I did mine in about 3 weeks.

I don't have a filter. I do have an airstone. I also have my filter spray bar a bit high to help oxygenate the water.

Sounds good and do you have any plants in there? Although to be honest for only being on day 4 it isn't abnormal to still be reading 4ppm ;) Mine was like this for awhile then suddenly spiked with Nitrites.

As long as you can see bubbles in the water, you're doing great! I assume you meant heater in your first sentence. You don't have to have a heater. Having one will just speed metabolism and decrease the growth time.

As long as you can see bubbles in the water, you're doing great! I assume you meant heater in your first sentence. You don't have to have a heater. Having one will just speed metabolism and decrease the growth time.

omg! I meant heater :bye2: I HAVE A FILTER lool

omg! I meant heater :bye2: I HAVE A FILTER lool

lol, I think we all assumed this was a mistake, but I'll admit I had to do a double take :P It would be difficult to cycle without a filter :rofl

Cycle Day 5

ammonia: 4ppm

nitrite: 0ppm

I test for nitrites just to make sure.

Sounds about right I hope some Nitrites make a apprence soon :) Mine took about 2 weeks to show up though ;) During the cycle time I bought small things each week like Medicine and extra things that would be good to have on hand to keep me sane lol Oh and LOTS and LOTS of Kokos time :rofl

Sounds about right I hope some Nitrites make a apprence soon :) Mine took about 2 weeks to show up though ;) During the cycle time I bought small things each week like Medicine and extra things that would be good to have on hand to keep me sane lol Oh and LOTS and LOTS of Kokos time :rofl

I'm going insane waiting for this to be over. My parents just shake their heads when they walk into the basement and see this giant tank filled with water with no fish :-/

I'm going insane waiting for this to be over. My parents just shake their heads when they walk into the basement and see this giant tank filled with water with no fish :-/

I got the same looks and my fiance thought I was going crazy :rofl I just told him it is either this or a really high water bill lol he took the fishless cycle after I explained what I would have to do if I did a fish in cycle lol.

Did you add a bacterial supplement?

I added the first batch some days ago. Will add more in two days or so. I don't think it had any effect. And the bacterial supplement STINKS! :Dont-Believe:

Which one did you use? I don't remember any of the ones I used stank.

Also, some of this stuff really works, but a great bunch of them can be hocus pocus.

I added the first batch some days ago. Will add more in two days or so. I don't think it had any effect. And the bacterial supplement STINKS! :Dont-Believe:

What kind did you get I know some bacteria supplements need to be added daily?

sniped by Alex :rofl

Edited by MissColonel