Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

I am trying to get a bunch of good background plants.... Suggestions?

I am trying to stick with plants that are native to asia etc.... Right now I don't really want anacharis. I had elodea before, and they seem similar and my elodea took over my tank and I couldn't keep up with it, and I am looking for a different looking plant :3

Tank: 55, 2 penguin 350s, 4 goldfish under 4 inches, 2 java fern, 2 unidentified "aquatic" fern, microsword, 6 lucky bamboo in the hob, Natural Sunlight along with fluorescent lighting.

I use Kent plant nutrients

My fish don't seem to like greens, they turned their nose to spinach and only nibble sometimes on bamboo. They prefer meatier stuff XD

I am looking at:

Cardamine Lyrata

Rotala Sp. Nanjenshan

Rotala Rotundifolia

or Bacoba Carolina

I would be ordering 4 bunches to start off, so I can start really decorating my tank (: Which would best for my tank?

Bacopa Caroliniana is a wonderful, beautiful plant. I love its look with its shiny leaves, and it grows quite fast. The leaves are also a bit more tough so the goldfish might not eat them. The plants are hardy and do fine in low light.

If there is enough light for the rotundifolia, I would get one bunch of these too to add a blotch of nice color to the plants :)

They can get to be up to 24 inches tall, but you can just clip them and plant the clippings :)

Ohh I might have to try that (: I like the way the cardamine looks but my fish might enjoy it too much XP I think I will go half and half (: Thank you!

Hehe I think we have 2 plants mixed up, are you talking about Bacoba Carolina or Cabomba Caroliniana? XD

Guest CrazyCatPeekin

I love all kinds of crypts for low light tanks. Crypt spiralis, pontederfolia, ciliata, and petchii are some of my favorites. Cryptocoryne Wendtii is very common and should be readily available. They tend to be heavy root feeders, so you would need to stick some root tabs into your substrate. With a few exceptions, most crypts are hardy. They are susceptible to melt when first added to a new environment, but they will grow back so don't give up on them. They are commonly found in Asia and New Guinea. Goldfish generally find them unpalatable; mine have not touched them.

Check them out and see if you like any of them.

Edit: Just realized that you specified background plants. For backgrounds, I would look at Cryptocoryne spiralis, blassii and undulata. :)

Edited by CrazyCatPeekin

I love all kinds of crypts for low light tanks. Crypt spiralis, pontederfolia, ciliata, and petchii are some of my favorites. Cryptocoryne Wendtii is very common and should be readily available. They tend to be heavy root feeders, so you would need to stick some root tabs into your substrate. With a few exceptions, most crypts are hardy. They are susceptible to melt when first added to a new environment, but they will grow back so don't give up on them. They are commonly found in Asia and New Guinea. Goldfish generally find them unpalatable; mine have not touched them.

Edit: Just realized that you specified background plants. For backgrounds, I would look at Cryptocoryne spiralis, blassii and undulata. :)

I luvs my crypts!!

Hehe I think we have 2 plants mixed up, are you talking about Bacoba Carolina or Cabomba Caroliniana? XD

The bacoba carolina is sometimes refered to as caroliniana. I've seen people call it that all the time.

I love it too. I got mine from petsmart from their wall of plants. It was only $7. It has grown out but not up yet lol. It started out at about the diameter of a golfball and is now at softball size in a little more than 1 month.

(: I think I have some spiralis in my shopping cart already! I do like crypts, and the coloring on wendtii. I'm going to get more on my next batch of plants for mid ground plants cause they are so pretty, along with a bunch of ludwigia which I really love as well (:

The bacoba carolina is sometimes refered to as caroliniana. I've seen people call it that all the time.

I love it too. I got mine from petsmart from their wall of plants. It was only $7. It has grown out but not up yet lol. It started out at about the diameter of a golfball and is now at softball size in a little more than 1 month.

Ohh I see (x I will remember that! When I googled it, it didn't recognize it under that name so that's why I got confused. Haha!

I ordered my plants! I decided to wait on the bacoba until I can get ludwigia and more java fern and some crypts (: I got Cardamine Lyrata, Crypt. Spiralis, Marimo ball, and Java fern.