Sign in to follow this  
Trimom

Advice on 55 gallon tank

Only for the Prazi, not the other meds or medicated food.

Thank you. I'm getting and doing everything you recommend and I have plenty of time to plan since I don't have fish yet. I have a huge container I used to get RO water for the frogs, so I'll use that to fill/cycle but I'll definitely get the water changer for the goldfish - sounds like fun! So you treat the goldfish prophylacticly? Is that in the tank or a QT tank?

Like...with a condom? :rofl

In a QT tank you would treat a fish with salt for external parasites like ich and prazipro for internal parasites like flukes. A very high amount of fish have parasites so this is a preventative measure. A QT tank is a smaller amount of water seeing as the fish will normally need 100% water changes during the time of the quarantine. It is easier to perform these in a smaller volume. As you observe the fish through the QT other illnesses or concerns may pop up, it's nice to be able to observe these without the worry of exposure to your other fish.

Thank you. I'm getting and doing everything you recommend and I have plenty of time to plan since I don't have fish yet. I have a huge container I used to get RO water for the frogs, so I'll use that to fill/cycle but I'll definitely get the water changer for the goldfish - sounds like fun! So you treat the goldfish prophylacticly? Is that in the tank or a QT tank?

Like...with a condom? :rofl

:tomuch:

I have 5 fancy gold fish in my 55 tank, I do huge water changes everweek. I remove almost 90 percent of the water at a time. I also have a huge canster filter that it made for a 110 gallon tank. I tryed hang on filters they did not work for 3 gold fish let along 5. The tank one filters for 2 empor 400.

Thank you. I am soooo glad I found this group. I have 2 girls ages 2 and 6 and they will love these fish too. I live in NJ - can I still order from those sites? Thank you for the gravel suggestions. I have bare bottom with a couple gemstones on my frog tank. I have Eco complrte on the betta tank - its a huge mess when I do even the smallest housekeeping, all the dirt blows and covers everything. Maybe I'll try something else for the goldfish like you said sand or big gravel.

You CAN order from those websites, but the prices will SHOCK you. Seems to me those website are for people that want to get into serious goldfish breeding, or entering goldfish shows. The prices range from $60 up to $260 FOR ONE FISH when I looked at them a few minutes ago. To me, that's insane for those that just want a few fish to enjoy in their homes. Local stores usually have pretty good fish for $5 to $10 for the younger ones. Of course, if I was wealthy, I'd love to have a $200 goldfish. As it is, a $5 one serves my purposes just fine. :)

If you want a substrate for the bottom, I'd go with sand. Gravel of any size just seems to cause problems. My :twocents

Welcome to Koko's! Best darn Goldfish forum on this end of the galaxy.

I will leave the goldfish advice to those who are goldfish people......I am a cichlid person....but I will give you some advice that is true for 99% of the freshwater fish we keep in our aquariums:

Large weekly water changes are a must. 75% plus is what you should be doing weekly. I do 85 to 95% weekly. My wife's 55 gallon goldfish tank (housing a Black Moor, a Fantail and a Comet) gets two such water changes per week. My heavily populated 30 gallon mixed species Cichlid, Catfish and Minnow tank get two water changes of that size as well. NOTE: My wife and I are extreme fish keepers....we would never suggest that anyone stock a tank the way we stock ours....we have no children, few friends, no social life...so we have the time and energy to do what needs done to keep our heavily stocked tanks healthy.

Filtration, filtration and filtration. You can never have too much filtration.....unless the water circulation proves to be too strong for your fish to stay still and rest in.

Fasting days (days when you do not feed your fish) is as important as the days you do feed your fish. Fish benefit from fasting days....gives their digestion systems a chance to clear out and helps maintain better water quality.

A varied diet is super critical to healthy fish. Feeding one food all the time leads to nutritional imbalances....mix it up, toss in some spinach, some green beans, some shrimp, some orange/lemon/mango slices.

Tim

Welcome to kokos! There are many places to get goldies from once your tank is cycled, Rain garden goldfish had beautiful ones of all different varieties, Goldfish connection has a link to the auctions on the weekends and they have amazing, and expensive fish, you can also get them from your local fish or pet store, but keep in mind that these fish can live as long or longer than a cat or dog, so if you are going to have an animal that long, get the one you want and that you are excited about caring for. :)

Ps- tithra I watched all your video on YouTube about fishless cycling, and Puff and Edie (hope I got that right) inspired me to try a fishless cycle on a 6 gallon Betta tank. I also have a 5 gallOn frog tank , but the 55 is my first big tank. I was so excited, now I'm not sure what to do. I want ontsie care of the fish, and I had a funny feeling maybe this last was wrong??? Thanks for your candid answers.

Welcome to the forum!! Im glad you found my videos helpful :) You've already gotten excellent advice :) I've got nothing to add.

Thank you. I am soooo glad I found this group. I have 2 girls ages 2 and 6 and they will love these fish too. I live in NJ - can I still order from those sites? Thank you for the gravel suggestions. I have bare bottom with a couple gemstones on my frog tank. I have Eco complrte on the betta tank - its a huge mess when I do even the smallest housekeeping, all the dirt blows and covers everything. Maybe I'll try something else for the goldfish like you said sand or big gravel.

You CAN order from those websites, but the prices will SHOCK you. Seems to me those website are for people that want to get into serious goldfish breeding, or entering goldfish shows. The prices range from $60 up to $260 FOR ONE FISH when I looked at them a few minutes ago. To me, that's insane for those that just want a few fish to enjoy in their homes. Local stores usually have pretty good fish for $5 to $10 for the younger ones. Of course, if I was wealthy, I'd love to have a $200 goldfish. As it is, a $5 one serves my purposes just fine. :)

I would love to have one from one of those places but I had a bad experience once and wont order online again... But everyone is allowed there own opinion and allowed to buy large fish, kinda like people who buy really nice cars... Me i will stay with a plan old Nissan WOOT! :twocents