Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

110 gallons setup.

I have 110 gallon tank. Will set it up today to do a fishless cycle.

Anyone have any recommendations:

heater?

pump (air stones)?

lights?

barebottom or something else?

I assume this is for goldfish, right?

I personally like bare bottom with some plants attached to rocks and wood, or maybe a thin layer of sand with some plants.

Heater is not required unless the tank temperature might drop below 64F suddenly. If the tank is in a room in your house or apartment that benefits from a furnace or similar, then I do not see the need for a heater.

Air pumps are always a good thing. For a big tank like this I would go with a couple well placed air stones or bubble discs, or a nice bubble wand.

Make sure it has the required 1100 gph filtration, unless you use canister filters or a wet/dry filter.

A test kit is obligatory during cycling.

:Congrats: This is the best way to go! :)

heater?

I have not found it necessary to run a heater all the time, because my house temps are always between 70-77. However, if your house temp goes lower than 70, then I would definitely set it so that your tank does not fall below 70. This is for the benefit of both the fish and the beneficial bacteria. I love and would recommend Aqueon Pro heaters.

pump (air stones)?

Yes. I like them both for looks and for creating bubbles/gas exchange. I have Tetra Whispers.

lights?

8 hours a day. What you get depends on whether you have plants or not.

I like both the looks of a barebottom tank, or one with sand. It's really up to you.

:Congrats: This is the best way to go! :)

heater?

I have not found it necessary to run a heater all the time, because my house temps are always between 70-77. However, if your house temp goes lower than 70, then I would definitely set it so that your tank does not fall below 70. This is for the benefit of both the fish and the beneficial bacteria. I love and would recommend Aqueon Pro heaters.

pump (air stones)?

Yes. I like them both for looks and for creating bubbles/gas exchange. I have Tetra Whispers.

lights?

8 hours a day. What you get depends on whether you have plants or not.

I like both the looks of a barebottom tank, or one with sand. It's really up to you.

Do I have to use a specific pump depending on the number of gallons?

I eventually want to have a plant or two in the tank?

I assume this is for goldfish, right?

I personally like bare bottom with some plants attached to rocks and wood, or maybe a thin layer of sand with some plants.

Heater is not required unless the tank temperature might drop below 64F suddenly. If the tank is in a room in your house or apartment that benefits from a furnace or similar, then I do not see the need for a heater.

Air pumps are always a good thing. For a big tank like this I would go with a couple well placed air stones or bubble discs, or a nice bubble wand.

Make sure it has the required 1100 gph filtration, unless you use canister filters or a wet/dry filter.

A test kit is obligatory during cycling.

Thank you!

Does the type of sand matter?

I eventually want to have a few plants in the tank.

I have only used TMS (Tahitian Moon Sand) myself and like it a lot. It is larger size than most other sand and with that it is heavier and less likely to get into the filters, unless the fish like to swim up with a mouth full of sand and spit it out near the filter intakes. This can happen if your fish are as crazy as mine :lol

I think using a pump rated for that size tank (or a little higher) is better, because then it will have enough power.

I think with plants, you are better off with T5 or T5HO lights, but I will defer to some lighting expert on this issue :)

For low light plants you can go with a standard T8 and still manage lots of growth, I have one on my 20 gal and I have corkscrew vals and two species of anubias and they all do fantastic with just a standard bulb. Granted they do get some indirect sunlight, so that's something to take into consideration as well. I dose once weekly with seachem flourish as well. For substrate I personally love sand, I use Caribsea naturals or something along those lines and it is basically the white equivalent of TMS. It holds down plants very well but if your using mainly root feeders (vals, swords, etc) you will need to use fert tabs as well. The sand I use doesn't need to be rinsed and settles completely within a day or two, it looks fantastic. I recommend using a gradient with about a 1/2 inch of sand in the front and around an inch or a little more in the back to create a slope. This will let you put plants along the back wall while keeping substrate to a minimum which will in turn stop waste buildup. I've found sand need little to no siphoning, the goldies tend to dig through it and disturb any poo which then gets picked up by the filter. If there are large debris on the sand you can hover your gravel vac over the surface and pick it up.

It's up to you. What look do you want? You can get CaribSea sand in black (Tahitian Moon Sand) or in light. I have a tank with black and one with light. If you want black fish, I don't recommend the black.

As for plants, do you want plants that have to grow in the substrate? They are a little more work and require a deeper layer of sand, but you can have more variety. Or you could have anubias and java fern -- they will grow attached to a rock or a piece of driftwood. Then your large rock or driftwood could rest on a thin layer of sand or the barebottom.

It's up to you. What look do you want? You can get CaribSea sand in black (Tahitian Moon Sand) or in light. I have a tank with black and one with light. If you want black fish, I don't recommend the black.

As for plants, do you want plants that have to grow in the substrate? They are a little more work and require a deeper layer of sand, but you can have more variety. Or you could have anubias and java fern -- they will grow attached to a rock or a piece of driftwood. Then your large rock or driftwood could rest on a thin layer of sand or the barebottom.

I want the easy way out. So no substrate plants. I think anubias and java fern is what I'm going to go for. I'm choosing to use a very thing layer of sand instead of barebottom because the bottom of the tank wasn't very aesthetically pleasing to the eye LOL!

Is driftwood sold in petstores or do I have to go somewhere special to find it?

9icysw.jpg

My lfs sells drift wood but be sure to soak it or boil it so your water doesn't turn brown. I think most pet shops do sell it if not planted aquariums central sells it online :)

Edited by Gcourtney

We were just talking plants and driftwood on another thread, and several members believe that you should have some kind of critter in your tank to help keep your driftwood "clean." Plecos like driftwood, but my nerite snails keep mine in good shape. Otherwise, it could get slimy. I've gotten my driftwood at lfs's.

You can get anubias and java fern at most pet stores. Petsmart sells them in tubes. They might not look great out of the tube, but they should grow fine. You can use cotton thread to tie them to your rocks or driftwood. Eventually the thread will break down but your plants will be attached. :)