new aquarium. dead fish.

redgold54

so i set up a new aquarium. this morning the fish i put in (a feeder fish) was dead. there was a white slimy thing coming off its body. I did some googling but I'm not sure what killed it. I think my heater blew out a sudden change in temperature is too cause. But I'm not 100% sure.

any ideas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry. :( I'm sure we have a lot of ideas, but we would need more information. If you fill this out, we can offer advice.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

so i set up a new aquarium. this morning the fish i put in (a feeder fish) was dead. there was a white slimy thing coming off its body. I did some googling but I'm not sure what killed it. I think my heater blew out a sudden change in temperature is too cause. But I'm not 100% sure.

any ideas?

Yes if possible could you fill out the form shawnee provided. It sounds like the slime coat was what you were seeing. Did the fish have this before it died?

I don't have a test kit at the moment. They did not have the slime coat they died. I put them in the tank yesterday. They were dead (with the slime) when I saw them. I did add dechlorinator to the tank. Maybe I should have let it cycle for more. Also, today I noticed that the canister filter hoses had some green slimy thing inside them.

I don't have a test kit at the moment. They did not have the slime coat they died. I put them in the tank yesterday. They were dead (with the slime) when I saw them. I did add dechlorinator to the tank. Maybe I should have let it cycle for more. Also, today I noticed that the canister filter hoses had some green slimy thing inside them.

Before you get anymore fish I highly recommend you to do a fishless cycle :D It is easier on the fish and you ;) Could you maybe take a picture your set up and get a API master test kit. This is very important to have during the cycling process or even having fish too ;)

Could you at least tell me these questions ;)

• * Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

here is some info on fishless cycling ;)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html

Before you get anymore fish I highly recommend you to do a fishless cycle :D It is easier on the fish and you ;) Could you maybe take a picture your set up and get a API master test kit. This is very important to have during the cycling process or even having fish too ;)

Could you at least tell me these questions ;)

• * Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

here is some info on fishless cycling ;)

http://www.kokosgold...hlessCycle.html

110 gallon (tall talk)

the filter is a rena xp3

water temperature is 68

i used the tetra water clarifier

I'm almost certain the the slimy green thing in the filter tubes (the intake/outtake) tubes has something to do with it. I'm gonna run to petco today and buy new tubes and a test kit.

Sounds good :D if you like we can walk you through the fishless cycle since it can take some times and you are gonna love the api master test kit ;)

That would be greatly appreciated. I'm cleaning the tank now. I'll post again once I get the test kit. For the fishless cycle, which water conditioners do you recommend?

I love prime :D so do most memebers here :) Also you will need pure ammonia without color, sent, or surfactants ;) I found my ammonia at a dollar store that way just plain ammonia. To tell if it has surfactants in it shake the bottle of ammonia and if it makes foam and lots of bubbles it isn't aquarium safe ;)

And most ammonia isn't pure ammonia, so don't give up if you can't find one that is only ammonia. Just make sure to look for what MissColonel said, most of the time the actual ammonia content will be 5-10% diluted.

Edited by LovelyChaos

Fishless cycling is great, but I still don't think we can say what happened to your fish. How many did you add? How big were they?

Make sure you get a test kit with a pH test. Although ammonia and nitrite poisoning are common problems in new tanks, I have a hard time believing that a few fish in a 110 could be be poisoned overnight. I would assume that the fish were ill when you got them or that your pH is very low.

A heater isn't necessary for goldfish, and in that size tank, I'm not sure the temp could drop fast enough to cause harm. Could the faulty heater have shocked them?

I couldn't find ammonia, but I did get a Micro-Lift Special Blend to help cycle the tank.

:-/

I'll set up the tank and put a picture up.

You will still need a source of ammonia in order to cycle. It will be impossible to cycle without ammonia, as this is what feeds the beneficial bacteria. I would personally keep calling around for liquid ammonia, it can take some searching. Dollar stores, walmart, and hardware stores are all good places to check. If it's really not possible to find ammonia, you can use fish food or a piece of shrimp as an ammonia source. This is not the preferred method simply because it can be more difficult to know how much food to add in order to get the desired amount of ammonia and you have rotting food in the tank, which takes some special care in order to avoid bacterial issues.

I'll keep searching for ammonia. The store worker I spoke to said that the blend I bought contains everything required to properly cycle the tank.

http://www.microbeli.../special-blend/

Store employees are sadly rarely knowledgeable about anything. I would honestly never ever trust a pet store employee's opinion unless you have some real evidence that they actually know what they are talking about, all too often people (especially beginner aquariusts) are led astray be pet store employees because they assume should know what they're talking about because they work at a pet store, but it's unfortunately rare that they actually do. I'll get off my soap box now :P

Products such as microbe lift are designed to help along a cycle by supposedly adding the beneficial bacteria that cycle the tank (I say supposedly because these products are a bit of a crap shoot). However, they do not contain the ammonia that the beneficial require to establish and grow. These products are generally meant (marketed) to be used when you are cycling with fish, so the fish produce the ammonia that these bacteria require. Fishless cycling is still a relatively new concept to many aquariusts, so there aren't ever instructions for this on the side of the bottle ;)

Regardless, fish or liquid ammonia, these products will not instantly make it safe to add fish (as many claim), they can help along your cycle, but the BB's still require time to establish :)

All that said, you should definitely use this product, it may speed up your cycle a bit :) But keep looking for that ammonia :)