Sign in to follow this  
fishtankbabe

Video of my goldies :)

My fish were very happy after their water change and their green beans. Please excuse the bad quality, and ignore the background noise, my dad was watching Transformers, lol.

Edited by fishtankbabe

What happy, active, and pretty goldfish you have.

Just out of curiosity, what is that non-goldfish in the tank?

What happy, active, and pretty goldfish you have.

Just out of curiosity, what is that non-goldfish in the tank?

Thank you! :D That's my hatchet fish. He's been a very good sport about sharing a tank with the goldies. When I first added the little calico, he was like the most annoying little brother on earth, just constantly following the hatchet around, and occasionally giving him "goldfish kisses", lol. Now that he has the other goldfish to pal around with he leaves the hatchet alone. I'm hoping to set up a tropical tank in my bedroom next weekend and move the hatchet up there.

How cute! That orange and white oranda is absolutely adorable :)

And yes, definitely move the hatchet! I love these guys and would love to get some myself some time, but my tank isn't properly equipped for them.

They are schooling fish and need to be in a group of 6 minimum :) And of course he will be happier in an actual tropical tank with some floating plants such as hornwort, pennywort or simply some unplanted, free floating anacharis to find cover in.

ALSO: Hatchet fish can fly several meters. Different from the "flying fish" they don't just propel themselves out of the water, hatchet fish can use their pectoral fins to flap and get out of the water several meters. Because of that, a proper, fully covering lid is necessary. It is also recommended to cover the filter intakes with mesh. It is not uncommon that they can get sucked into the narrow slits of filter intakes since the hatchet's body is only a few millimeters thick.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Such a nice tank! Is that Tahitian moon sand? I love it! :)

Very nice hun :thumb:

How cute! That orange and white oranda is absolutely adorable :)

And yes, definitely move the hatchet! I love these guys and would love to get some myself some time, but my tank isn't properly equipped for them.

They are schooling fish and need to be in a group of 6 minimum :) And of course he will be happier in an actual tropical tank with some floating plants such as hornwort, pennywort or simply some unplanted, free floating anacharis to find cover in.

ALSO: Hatchet fish can fly several meters. Different from the "flying fish" they don't just propel themselves out of the water, hatchet fish can use their pectoral fins to flap and get out of the water several meters. Because of that, a proper, fully covering lid is necessary. It is also recommended to cover the filter intakes with mesh. It is not uncommon that they can get sucked into the narrow slits of filter intakes since the hatchet's body is only a few millimeters thick.

Thank you! :D I just love my oranda to pieces. His name is Summer and he's my little ray of sunshine. :wub:

I do have EVERY square inch of the top covered. I have personal experience with flying hatchets who can find that tiny one-inch opening in the back that you missed. I have kept hatchets for about 9 years now and never had one get stuck in the filter intake (all my filters are aqua clears, the front part of their body is wider than the slots in the intake, though not by much, lol). My experience has been that unless they get very badly startled, they never stray more than about 2 inches below the surface anyway so they don't really get near the filter intake.

They are neat fish, the hardiest fish I have ever kept, and I highly recommend them for a tropical tank. :)

Such a nice tank! Is that Tahitian moon sand? I love it! :)

Thanks, and yes it is TMS! :) I switched to it maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. I feel like it's a lot cleaner than gravel or rocks. The goldfish kind of sift through it and keep it pretty clean, sometimes in the morning if I see lots of poops then I just wave the net over the surface to get it to float and then scoop it out. Sometimes I worry about the fish swallowing it though.