Winter grooming project (and also new fishies!)

Okori

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait until you produce some nice pearlies! Breed a tancho hamanishiki for me because they're my dream fish :P

OK where is this fish and how many people do I have to kill to get it? I will be mine! Mine I tell you! :o

So are you trying to create a line of super giant tiku pearlscale from this project or something?

I personally love the tiku pearlscale, but they are VERY difficult to find in a nice quality in my area, and not many people in the US breed pearlscale, mostly we import our goldfish. This is just a hobbyist venture at creating a stable line of tiku-like pearlscale to share with my fellow goldfish lovers <3

ahhhh so I guess from your first patch you'll be keeping most of the crownless pearlscales then :o

I can't wait until you produce some nice pearlies! Breed a tancho hamanishiki for me because they're my dream fish :P

If her red cap oranda decides to get together with one of her pearlscale she might end up with some tancho hamanishiki :D

If my living situation changes here shortly *fingers crossed* and I move from an apartment to a house, then i will be keeping the hamanishiki as well as the pearlscales, if not just the pearls. They might be a little young this year, but I'm hoping my pearly girlies start throwing eggs for me this spring. But then again the oranda look like they might be making babies too, along with my ranchu :krazy:

You might be in luck, Perfect, Allen and I had discussed cross breeding orandas and hamanaski to see how the "wen" developed, more of a bubble or more of the raspberry look. If I take my big redcap girl and cross her with one of the boys.......... <3

On a side note, tell me more about mortgaging your cat..... XD

• 2 weeks later...

OK where is this fish and how many people do I have to kill to get it? I will be mine! Mine I tell you! :o

you can have yourself I will take the fish :lol and if there's a redcapped pearlie I want second dibs

you can have yourself I will take the fish :lol and if there's a redcapped pearlie I want second dibs

Good luck with that Junior :pp

http://s276.beta.pho...2-1-12.mp4.html

Quick video taken during water change. Poor little redcap started floating mid way through, she's getting peas tonight =/

It's ironic that the oranda is the one floaty in a tank full of pearlies!

Quick video taken during water change. Poor little redcap started floating mid way through, she's getting peas tonight =/

That is weird. Good thing ya'll keep posting pics of your Pearlies, its been so long since I've seen one in person I might forget :cry

This made me lol! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good news and a late update, I caught my pearlies at the tail end of spawning the other morning, and managed to hand spawn about 200 eggs, maybe more with the pretty calico male. They've all started hatching, be prepared for lots and lots of baby pictures! <3

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of the WGO fishy taken October 3rd:

IMG_20121013_181921_zps09073f67.jpg

Almost 3 months later (taken today):

Image12262012173035_zpscdbec543.jpg

Conclusion: SUCCESS!

Thoughts: I initally started with great intentions of having a very diverse diet for these guys, but in the end stuck with Hikari Lionhead (the best IMO when you want to avoid floaters) and repashy, with the occasional blood worm or brine shrimp cube for protien. Their water temp stayed in the high 70's throughout the last 3 months, with water changes every day for the first month, then every other day thereafter. I'm very happy with the results, as I've seen an increase in length, body mass, wen development, and color in all the fish. Hope you enjoyed!