Aquarium is not perfectly level, need opinions

I got my 135 gallon tank last week. Before I filled it, I noticed that one of the back corners was shorter than the others, as it was not touching the stand. When I checked with my level on the top of the tank, it was perfectly level. The back corner was off the stand by about 1/4 of an inch. After I filled the tank, it mostly flattened out, now the gap is only about a 16th of an inch, but now when I check with the level, the top part of the tank is no longer level on that corner. Btw this is an acrylic tank.

What are my options? Should I use a wood shim under that corner? Should I get some foam or styrofoam to stick under the tank? Just leave it and hope for the best??

I agree with LovelyChaos.

It also gives you some cushion there. So foam would be what I used.

I would be tempted to empty it again and push the foam under, then fill it again to make sure it was snug.

Edited by Drowsy

Does this aquarium have a completely flat bottom, rather than the edge on which glass aquariums usually rest? I would imagine so, but I'd just want to make sure.

You can cut a piece of dense insulation foam the size of the tank and put it under, which should help level things out somewhat. I am not sure it would do a lot for that kind of difference, though.

Is the stand flexing, or does the stand just have one shorter corner? If it's the former, I would shim under the stand in that corner. If it's the latter, I am not sure how to fix that short of remaking the stand. It is a commercial stand or an independently made one?

Does this aquarium have a completely flat bottom, rather than the edge on which glass aquariums usually rest? I would imagine so, but I'd just want to make sure.

You can cut a piece of dense insulation foam the size of the tank and put it under, which should help level things out somewhat. I am not sure it would do a lot for that kind of difference, though.

Is the stand flexing, or does the stand just have one shorter corner? If it's the former, I would shim under the stand in that corner. If it's the latter, I am not sure how to fix that short of remaking the stand. It is a commercial stand or an independently made one?

The tank is acrylic and it is supposed to have a completely flat bottom. One of the back corners is short. The issue is the tank rather than the stand.

I was going to ask about the stand as this is common with the metal stands with bent rods for ends.

Still if the stand has any give you might shim up the low corner.

Having said all that I would put a sheet of 1 inch stryofoam under the entire tank. It is what I use for home built tanks.

I don't know how structurally fabulous it is, but I've had my 40 breeder on top of a foam mat that was designed to protect your floors from heavy exercise equipment. They look like big puzzle pieces, and you can cut off the excess. When I moved the tank into the living room, there was a perfect indentation where the tank rested. I used two fresh puzzle pieces for the new setup. It's been set up for almost three months now, and no troubles yet!

I'm probably going to use this stuff from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Insulation-Rigid-Insulation/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbaxx/R-100320340/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UFYQKY1mTYg

But I really wanted this to be a bare-bottom, and I do not want to see that under the tank, lol. Do you think it would be a problem if I either painted it black, or put a piece of black felt on the top of it?

Since this tank is defective, can't you return it and get one that isn't?

I don't know. The warranty only says they will replace it if it leaks, and so far it hasn't leaked. I guess I need to drain the tank, take a bunch of pictures, check the "level-ness" of everything (tank, stand, floor), and then contact the manufacturer and see what they tell me. I really don't want to have to return the tank, as that would be a logistical nightmare.

I'm probably going to use this stuff from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot...51#.UFYQKY1mTYg

But I really wanted this to be a bare-bottom, and I do not want to see that under the tank, lol. Do you think it would be a problem if I either painted it black, or put a piece of black felt on the top of it?

That's either what I used or it's similar to what I used under my acrylic tanks. Mine might have been thinner. You could put felt or any other fabric between the foam and tank, and you could use the duct tape that I used on the edges, only cover the whole top too.

I put my tank on the foam and traced the shape with a pen. Then I cut it using a box cutter. The stuff was surprisingly hard to cut, but once I put duct tape around the edge and set up the tank, no one ever would know that a piece of ratty-looking foam was under it. You can get duct tape in a lot of colors and patterns at the hardware store. I got black Gorilla tape.