Sign in to follow this  
Sharkbait3

WAY to short...................

to clean the 55 properly,.........Tim is gonna get one of those magnetic glass cleaners...........what do you guys think ? Read reviews and some said yes and some said no..............does anyone have experience with these and do you all recommend a certain type ? (name)?

Due to my balance issues, a step stool is out~~~looking at another stand we like better, it's 4 inches lower...........I am so short that the tank is level with eyes...........so I cannot clean the front glass and sides good...............(driving me nuts)..............any suggestions??

I have one... Its okay doesnt get off the hard Green stuff, but one good suggestion dont leave it inside the tank or it will start to come apart and sometimes starts to rust :o

I heard a bunch of people saying that it can scratch the glass if anything gets between it and the mag. I don't have any of that tough algae yet, so I don't have much experience there, but the scratching thing kinda scared me from buying one.

I have the floating type in both of my tanks and keep no substrate and find it handy for everyday cleaning and I know how you feel for the w/c days it's me on my tippey toes to barely get the back walls and corners ;)

I've heard bad stories of glass scratching. ><

I just let my bristlenose and snail do the job of cleaning algae for me.

Make a low stand. I made a stand with concrete blocks that is way lower than standard. I like the low tank because I can easily see the fish from the top as well as the side. It's more pond-like.

Make a low stand. I made a stand with concrete blocks that is way lower than standard. I like the low tank because I can easily see the fish from the top as well as the side. It's more pond-like.

I like this idea, and I had a cinder block stand before as well. :)

I don't have the mag scrapers. I just have the old-fashioned algae scrapers. You have to put a little bit of force into it, but it does an excellent job. I have not seen any scratches, either.

I have two of these

http://www.petco.com/product/114627/Fusion-10-Long-Desktop-Algae-Scraper-for-Acrylic-Aquariums.aspx

$%28KGrHqN,!h0E9RUFWsFvBPmeK05ep!~~60_35.JPG

One that size, and one longer.

Then I have one of these

aquatic-gardens-algae-scraper-with-handle-for4060.jpg

I don't know that I need all of them, but I was on a buying spree at some point :rofl

I had my 55 on a low concrete block stand, and I liked it. It was soooo much easier to clean.

I don't have the mag scrapers. I just have the old-fashioned algae scrapers. You have to put a little bit of force into it, but it does an excellent job. I have not seen any scratches, either.

I have two of these

http://www.petco.com...-Aquariums.aspx

$%28KGrHqN,!h0E9RUFWsFvBPmeK05ep!~~60_35.JPG

One that size, and one longer.

Then I have one of these

I don't know that I need all of them, but I was on a buying spree at some point :rofl

Such fancy equipment, Alex. :D I just pull off a piece of the quilt batting that I use for filter floss and rub the glass with that. It comes clean as a whistle, not a scratch, and it's disposable.

I have one... Its okay doesnt get off the hard Green stuff.

I have the same problem with mine. The only algae I have is the hard green stuff that not even my plecos and otos can get off.

Then I have one of these

That is what I have to use. You do have to put some elbow into it though.

:rofl

I had a moment where I thought I needed to buy all these crazy accessories. They definitely work, but some days, I use paper towels, and that's enough to clean :rofl

We have been looking at a new stand on Petsmart.com....it is 4 inches shorter and 6 inches deeper front to back....built to handle up to an 18 inch by 48 inch tank......this would lower the tank and give it more stability....but for a hundred and a half ($150 or so....possibly even more), I could build a nice stand and have some money left over....I did build our platform bed and the drapery box thingie.....and the stand for the 30 gallon tank. Deb wants the modern black look....which would not be hard to do....and some storage (either shelves or a cabinet design...both easy to do). Father-in-law has a nice table saw, a nice surface planer....I could true up some 2 by 6 boards to be nice straight 2 by 5 boards.....over design and over build the stand like I did the platform bed (could easily have parked our mini-van on the platform and it would not have had a problem supporting the weight). Wrap the entire thing in luan, seal it, give it a few coats of matt black paint, then over coat that with a water proof varnish.

Tim

If you can build a stand, I say go for it! :D

I would caution you about stands that are larger than the tank you have, in general though. It CAN work, but often they're designed to just support the outer edges of the tank, and will lack support in the middle. So check out the construction of your stand before you do this.

I would caution you about stands that are larger than the tank you have, in general though. It CAN work, but often they're designed to just support the outer edges of the tank, and will lack support in the middle. So check out the construction of your stand before you do this.

That's really good information. Does the same hold true for stands that have a full table top? When I was shopping for a stand for my 40, I was going to pick one up that was good up to 90, so I could upgrade without buying a new stand.

That's really good information. Does the same hold true for stands that have a full table top? When I was shopping for a stand for my 40, I was going to pick one up that was good up to 90, so I could upgrade without buying a new stand.

I think a lot of this just has to do with the construction of the particular stand. If you take this one, for instance, you can maybe see what I mean. It comes right out and says you can put a 55 (approx footprint 12x48) as well as a 75 (approx footprint 18x48). I think the reason this stand is so flexible about tank size is the way the underneath is configured. Because it has those shelves in the middle of the stand, with the doors on the outside, it probably has supports at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way across the tank, which means the surface as a whole is more supported.

Lots of other kinds of stands are more or less unsupported across the underside of the top surface, with almost all of the support around the edges. I might run into trouble putting a 55 on a 75 gallon stand with this kind of construction.

You can probably get away with a lot more if the tank you are putting on a given stand is much smaller than the tank that the stand is designed to hold. In those cases, the stand is constructed to hold a whole lot of weight, and you're only putting a fraction of the weight on there.

Unfortunately, these are all just things to keep in mind rather than absolutes, though. The only way to tell for sure about a particular stand would be to consult someone who can calculate the load on various parts of the stand and whether or not those parts can handle that load. And most of us are not up to that task.

Right now I use the Sponge from an old AC filter... I will scrub the walls down when the water is being drained... but mind you Im 5' 8" and the tank goes to my arm pit, if I stand on my tippy toes I have no problems :)

thanks for ALL the suggestions,

Cleaning however is NOT a problem...............The stand and tank are just too tall, a shorter one is probably in the future, either a bought one or I'll have Tim build me a shorter one...................I feel like the song from WAY back...............remember this one?.............."short people"..................lol

I have a MagFloat in each tank & have never had a problem with them. I also have a long handle glass "scrapper". And a Magfloat in each tank!!! (I am prepared!!) LOL!