* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC all of them 110, 70, 30

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel Plus

* Water temperature? 77F

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50-60% twice a week

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? This morning, 50% before that 4 days ago

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 gallon tank was stripped down on the 6th of this month

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Charlie is about 9" long Myng is about 5"

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Progold 3 times a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Not recently

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Before the strip down (flukes)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White patches on Myngs belly fins and also alittle heavy breathing, and not really swimming.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes he will just sit and pout.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. (Salt, Prazipro,) two weeks or so ago. (Melafix) was added about 2 days ago.

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

DSCN3795.jpg

DSCN3796.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I'm sorry Myng isn't feeling well! The white patches look like excess slimecoat (at least to me) but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to help.

Well I wish I was, but its like hard white spots... not like a slim coat at all. :( Not fungus either.. not fluffy.

• Admin

I thought at first slime coat as well :( I hope she feels better and you all get to the bottom of this asap :) why did you strip down the tank??

When Kizzy got sick, we noticed that the sand had gotten alot of gunk in it.... Do to help with any issues after she died. We took all the sand and coral out of the tank... TD said there was some gunk under the sand... Kizzy had dropsied on me and stopped eating after the first round of Prazipro.... I thought the best thing to do was to strip it down. Now we didnt strip the filters just the tank it self. Then 3-4 days later we took the 110 filter and cleaned the housing and replaced some of the filter media.

This may be the reason for the slight ammonia in the tank now. :(

Yeah take a look at the belly fins they are like breeding stars in a since but its not.. that make since?

I do see the white spots on the pelvic fins Koko. Are you sure they aren't breeding stars? Goldfish can get breeding stars on those fins too, although it is not as common. My male broadtail had TONS of breeding stars, and they were even on the leading ray of his pelvic fins.

Otherwise maybe it's ich? What salt level did you use when you salted them recently and what was the duration?

I'm sorry he's not doing well, hopefully we can all get this figured out and he'll be better soon!

The pinholes, according to Steve Hopkins, is due to an amoeba-like organisms, and should be treated with salt (0.3%). The white spots could also be areas of hypergrowths, which are responses to parasites.

I would really finish out the Prazi treatment and 0.3% salt treatment. He looks to be really clampy as well. :(

I'm sorry he's not feeling well, and hope he gets better quickly, Koko!

OK my 2 cents.

There are things in the water we can't/don't test for. So I am thinking some daily water changes and salt. You should see improvement in a couple days. You may of released something in the water with the strip down. I know you cleaned and cleaned but still something could of got left in there...

Hope Myng is feeling better really soon.

Good Luck

Here is something Steve Hopkins wrote on another forum. I’m not sure if this will be helpful for your fish, but it might.

The bug that makes the pin holes does not kill the fish. That is part of the problem because the fish never acts sick and unless you look very closely for the small spots of inflammation in the fin the bug goes un-noticed while it eats a hole. The bug can be eliminated overnight with any medication designed to treat ich.

-steve

I also looked at a thread on this forum where Trinket said tiny pinholes can be caused by ammonia in the tank. It can burn these tiny holes in the fins.

Can you do a scrape of the problem areas (the pinholes in fins and the white spots) and look at them under your miscroscope, Koko?

• Admin

I do see the white spots on the pelvic fins Koko. Are you sure they aren't breeding stars? Goldfish can get breeding stars on those fins too, although it is not as common. My male broadtail had TONS of breeding stars, and they were even on the leading ray of his pelvic fins.

Hes never gotten there before only on his front fins :(

Otherwise maybe it's ich? What salt level did you use when you salted them recently and what was the duration?

The highest I got the salt to was .2% but that was cause Kizzy had an issue with it. and only about 2 weeks worth :(

I'm sorry he's not doing well, hopefully we can all get this figured out and he'll be better soon!

Thank you hun. I hope so... I couldnt bare to loose Myng.. he makes me Smile :)

• Admin

The pinholes, according to Steve Hopkins, is due to an amoeba-like organisms, and should be treated with salt (0.3%). The white spots could also be areas of hypergrowths, which are responses to parasites.

I would really finish out the Prazi treatment and 0.3% salt treatment. He looks to be really clampy as well. :(

I'm sorry he's not feeling well, and hope he gets better quickly, Koko!

Ok Did a water change this morning.... It had Melifx in it, should I do another water change and then the salt... then start over with Prazi??

• Admin

OK my 2 cents.

There are things in the water we can't/don't test for. So I am thinking some daily water changes and salt. You should see improvement in a couple days. You may of released something in the water with the strip down. I know you cleaned and cleaned but still something could of got left in there...

Hope Myng is feeling better really soon.

Good Luck

Im thinking that too hun.... I just dont know what did it though :(

Here is something Steve Hopkins wrote on another forum. I’m not sure if this will be helpful for your fish, but it might.

The bug that makes the pin holes does not kill the fish. That is part of the problem because the fish never acts sick and unless you look very closely for the small spots of inflammation in the fin the bug goes un-noticed while it eats a hole. The bug can be eliminated overnight with any medication designed to treat ich.

-steve

I also looked at a thread on this forum where Trinket said tiny pinholes can be caused by ammonia in the tank. It can burn these tiny holes in the fins.

Can you do a scrape of the problem areas (the pinholes in fins and the white spots) and look at them under your miscroscope, Koko?

I did a scrape hun and didnt see anything, I scraped his Belly fins and his tail fins... I will try againg tomorrow, he isnt happy with me now...

Also If this many help guys... His Poop I noticed was Skinny and kinda curly inside the cassing..??

• Admin

Koko, let's raise the salt, and do Melafix for now. We can decide on the Prazi tomorrow :)

What I mean on the Melafix is it was added yesterday so after the 50% water change there shouldnt be much in there.... I will get on the salt now... so .1% now? then 12 hours .2%

So that would be 200 grams of salt each time right? just want to make sure :)

Koko, let's raise the salt, and do Melafix for now. We can decide on the Prazi tomorrow :)

What I mean on the Melafix is it was added yesterday so after the 50% water change there shouldnt be much in there.... I will get on the salt now... so .1% now? then 12 hours .2%

Assuming that it's not filled up to the brim anyway, it's 180 grams each time :)

• Admin

Assuming that it's not filled up to the brim anyway, it's 180 grams each time :)

Okay its filled to the rims of the AC filters... I will go ahead and Add in right now 180 Grams of salt.... :thumb: