Fungus on Sunburst Goldie

Avepico

I don't really have an opinion on the Melafix, and you certain can add it to the tank, as it is not harmful. Just make sure that you have some good gas exchange going for the tank, because the Melafix oil may decrease dissolved oxygen.

How is he doing today?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is fairly active, just ate like a champ, but there is still the one spot of cotton that will not go away.

Best pic I could get, my camera sucks at fish pics.

DSCN1820_zps2139dc3b.jpg

On the left, midway down the body. Not quite as fuzzy/cottony on very close inspection. Could it maybe be a loose scale pointing out?

Edited by Avepico

It does look like a loose scale :)

Overall, I think he's looking pretty good, but because of our experience last time, we will keep doing this for a little while longer, to make sure he's completely healed before stopping. :)

He's doing OK today. Active and eating. Ammonia is up to .50, nitrites and nitrates both at 0. Gonna do a 50% water change. Got in the metro-meds and medi-gold today. Should I give him a mix of both or just one of them? The thing on his side is more apparently just scale.

Let's do another video before we decide.

I am leaning toward 10 days of Medi-Gold, but would like to see how he is first. If possible, I'd like to avoid medications altogether and save it for when we really need it. :)

Here we go. He is doing a lot of swimming at the glass now. Not sure if it that is ammonia, the fact that he is stuck in a 10 gallon tank, or something else.

He reminds me of my dogs when they are stuck in the kennel and want out.

I think is in part having to do with the ammonia. I think the WC and the Prime will help. :)

Let's hold off on deciding on the meds until tomorrow, after the dip. I actually think he's in pretty good shape. :)

Thanx Alex, sounds like a plan. I set up the camera on the tripod and got about 6 minutes of his behavior while I was not around. He spend most of it swimming at the glass, but also spend time cruising around and looking for food at the bottom.

With a 5 1/2 inch fish in a 10 gallon aquarium it will be lots of water changes. Whatever it takes to get him healthy tho.

Whenever I am near, he goes nuts swimming at the glass. Apparently when I am not around he doesn't do it near as much. Here is video when I was away doing other things.

And some with a little closer look at his body. Hard to see much but I don't seen any changes.

These were after a full water change, salt dip, and lunch.

Edited by Avepico

I think given his overall state, let's just go ahead and give him a 10 day course of Medi-Gold, and while we are on Medi-Gold, I would like to go ahead and treat him for flukes as well. Do you have some sort of praziquantel on hand. I apologize if you've already answered this prior to today, but my brain is a bit foggy today. :)

I have PraziPro on hand, dose per instructions?. Does 2% body weight sound like the accurate amount to feed the Medi-Gold? Seems like I read that on these forums somewhere. Just have to re-weigh him since i forgot what it was earlier today.

No, 1% of body weight please. From the looks of him, I'm guessing that's going to be somewhere between 10-15 Medi-Gold pellets per day, although please do weigh him to get the exact numbers.

Because we are using Medi-Gold along with Prazi, there is no need to add salt. Here is what I would like for you to do:

- Day 1: Do a big WC, remove carbon from the filter if you had any, and dose in Prazipro as per instructions. Start Medi-Gold as well. Divide up the amount of food he needs to have into 3-6 meals, whatever works best for you.

- Day 2: Add another dose of Prazi.

- Day 5: Do a big WC. Do not add Prazi.

- Day 6: Do a big WC. Add a dose of Prazi.

- Day 10: Do a big WC. Do add add Prazi

- Day 11: Do a big WC. Add Prazi.

- Day 15: Do a big WC. Do not add Prazi. Stop Medi-Gold. (I actually changed it to a 14 day course.)

- Day 16: Do a big WC. Add Prazi.

- Day 20: Do a big WC. Done. :)

He is 25 grams. I'll weigh out .25 grams (I love my digital scale) and see if he eats it all in his normal feeding routine of 4 meals a day. Just did a full WC today so that is done. I think I will right down the schedule and put it by the tank, marking off days so i don't get more confused then normal.

And I see the message as I just finish weighing and seeing it is 10 pellets. :rofl

I am following the schedule, today was WC and starting second round of Prazi. His behavior seems better. He swims all over his tank, not just along the glass. If I focus too much on him or get close to the tank, he gets more frantic and swimming along the glass.

He has been eating his Medi-Gold well and poops have seemed okay until today. Today he pooped out a thin, clear stringy poop. Was going to get a picture, but he ate it just as I was getting out the camera. Per the instructions on the Medi-gold, I have not fed him anything but that. Do you think it is anything to be concerned about?

Nope. You are doing fine! :)

Take note of whether he is pooping or not, please. The MG could make him contispated, and if that's the case, we will want to help relieve his constipation.

Looking at poop is one of the many things I have learned here. One of the stranger habits I have picked up off the internet I might add.

Tommorow is when I am going to stop the Medi-Gold. I have not seen any issues with poop. Do you think I should I just switch him over to the Pro-Gold or give him a day of peas to clean him out first?

He's doing pretty good. Behavior seems fine. He come to the glass when he sees me instead of freaking out. His fins are growing back fairly well and the damaged areas on his body are slowly getting color. He lost a chunk of flesh on his back right behind what is left of his dorsal fin that I am not sure will grow back. I think he will be very happy when he gets to go to the 56 gallon with Molly and Annie.