Fungus on Sunburst Goldie

Avepico

Wow, was like a bullrider. He made about 15 seconds before he stiffened up and went sideways.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question for Alex. Would using hydrogen peroxide on the red spots be of any benefit?

I'm actually not a big fan of using HP on big, open, ulcerated wounds. As you know, the HP also kills the healthy surrounding tissues, making the wound even bigger. If the infectious agent is still around, you've just given it more tissue to infect.

I wondered that too Mike, but all my research has not dug up any reference to peroxide. The salt treatment is referred to a lot in various incarnations, but the only reference to peroxide I have seen was an emergency oxygenator when your power is out for an extended period of time. I did see someone suggesting topical application of Iodine in one article, but tend to be a bit wary of something I only see referenced once in an internet search.

Alex, would you suggest continuing the med course, or focus on water quality with frequent water changes (as indicated per water tests) at this point?

Let's focus on just the salt and water quality. Given your experience with the fungus cure, I do not think this is a fungus, but more like columnaris. Salt is effective, but check with your LFS to see what they have that can treat columnaris.

Once again, thank you so much. I know that a huge part (if not all) of this poor little fish's problem is probably my inexperience with water quality and proper quarantines. Now I can focus on healing him and teaching myself to properly care for my tank. Will check back when I see any changes. Off to a much delayed dinner, then bed. I will check LFS tommorow after work.

And Thank you for the welcome Mike, surprised to see another Montanan much less Billingsian.

Once again, thank you so much. I know that a huge part (if not all) of this poor little fish's problem is probably my inexperience with water quality and proper quarantines. Now I can focus on healing him and teaching myself to properly care for my tank. Will check back when I see any changes. Off to a much delayed dinner, then bed. I will check LFS tommorow after work.

And Thank you for the welcome Mike, surprised to see another Montanan much less Billingsian.

You're very welcome :) I love this site and the people on it-they will help you with everything from disease treatment, to food and even to decoration ideas. I learn something everyday, and would encourage you or anyone who wants to learn about goldfish to be apart of our community here. Keep us posted!

OK, today's update. He is looking a bit better, the fuzz is starting to drop off, looks a touch less red, and he is eating everything I give him right away. I did a quick Ammonia test, less than .25ppm. Still too high but better than it has been. Did a 90% water change with Prime and started Maracyn treatment. Will do another salt dip tommorow. Odd thing, I got aquarium salt from Petsmart for about the same price as salt at the grocery store. Petsmart had a larger container, so I went with that.

Regular Maracyn, it said it is formulated for Columnaris. Picked up Maracyn and Maracyn 2 since, of course, the box didn't say what they treated specifically. My research said one or the other was the right one.

Regular Maracyn, it said it is formulated for Columnaris. Picked up Maracyn and Maracyn 2 since, of course, the box didn't say what they treated specifically. My research said one or the other was the right one.

Will you promise to consult us the next time you you medicate them? Maracyn is actually erroneously labeled as being able to treat columnaris.

Here's what I would like for you to do. Dose it Maracyn 2 as well, and treat with both Maracyns. We can't stop the Maracyn because we've already started it.

Good luck.

Check you parameters daily.

Also, because Maracyn 2 is light sensitive, you need to cover the tank.

Can do. Per the light sensitive nature of the Maracyn 2, I can black out the area the tank is. I have it in the grow closet I built to grow out seedlings pre-spring? If so, should I leave it dark throughout the treatment course?

Did the salt dip, he made it a minute and a half and maybe half the cottony stuff came off. Will redose meds in 4 and half hours. Water is doing well, Ammonia barely registers, guessing about .1 or less, trace of nitrates. Crossing my fingers that this tank is properly cycled, but will continue with daily tests as long as he is in there. If I have water issues, should I perform water changes just prior to redosing the meds?

Ammonia is very light. My color decoder thingie goes from one box for 0 and another for .25. The color is much closer to the 0 box than the .25.

And, yep another dip tomorrow if indicated.

Thanks folks, I am finally confident enough to name him. Fitz, from a fantasy novel. In the book, Fitz was poisoned and tortured, came out alive but suffered scars from his ordeal.

Thanks folks, I am finally confident enough to name him. Fitz, from a fantasy novel. In the book, Fitz was poisoned and tortured, came out alive but suffered scars from his ordeal.

Haha, that's refreshing. Robin Hobb fan! Do you like her other books as well? :)

Haha, that's refreshing. Robin Hobb fan! Do you like her other books as well? :)

I've like everything I have read by her, waiting for the new series to be finished before I start reading it tho, I hate waiting for new books in a series.