Sign in to follow this  
OBIO

Rehoming a fish is never easy!

I am being forced to rehome Idgie...my young female Convict Cichlid. No...not by Sharkbait....but by Idgie herself. She has become quite aggressive in the last week or so....to the point that she is keeping the entire right half of the 3 foot long 30 gallon tank for herself and chasing the rest of the fish to the other end. This simply won't do.

Idgie has been with me for 10 months now....and I have really grown fond of her. She was not what I wanted for my 30 gallon following our move in October. I wanted Bolivian Rams and Keyhole Cichlids.....but no one had them and no one had them on order or had plans to order them. So, when I saw baby Idgie at Pet Smart on November 4th (the same day we brought Caldwell the Black Moor home) I grabbed her up. Her coloring is really great...much darker stripes and base color than Mrs. Mean, my mature female Con....and her accent colors are more like fire...reds and oranges and yellows...as opposed to Mrs. Mean's accent colors of blues and greens.

I will be calling a good privately owned pet shop in the neighboring town to arrange for Idgie to go to them for adoption by a new cichlid keeper.

Man, I hate rehoming such a lovely fish.....but I have to do what's best for the rest of the fish in that tank. Will take some good pictures of Idgie before she goes bye bye....

Tim

I'm sorry you have to re-home her, but you are trying to give the best to her and that is a very brave and thoughtful thing to do :)

Aw, that's a terrible situation to be in, Tim, and I totally understand.

I'm sorry that it's happening though :(

I've been in the fish keeping hobby on and off for 38 years.....have been fascinated with fish since I was a wee little thing. For the last 7 or 8 years, I have been keeping mainly cichlids....South American mostly with a few Central Americans thrown in. When you keep cichlids...the one rule to know is that there are no rules. Each fish sets its own guidelines for how you keep it......I have had a large cichlid in with fish small enough for them to eat and that cichlid, a 10.5 inch long Gold Severum never bothered that little red tetra. I have had "peaceful" cichlids that were bloody monsters.

I knew going in with Idgie what to expect for the most part...having raised Mrs. Mean from a 3/4 inch baby and watching her do the same things that Idgie is now doing. Then to complicate matters, I added a male Blue Acara (a "peaceful" cichlid.....but my experience with Blue Acaras is that they can be real hellions). Then one of the pet stores got in a shipment of Bolivian Rams....so I added two of them to the tank...and they are scrappy little fish for sure.

Not only is my 30 gallon tank overstocked....but that is how I like it and I do what needs done to keep my fish healthy....but it is pretty well packed with little swimming sticks of dynomite.....and Idgie just happened to be the stick to go BOOM first.

We have an empty 20 gallon Marineland LED tank sitting out in the garage that I could keep her in...but we already have 4 tanks up and running (55, 30, 29 and 10) and with Deb's post-brain tumor deficits and my 6 day work week (and coming to the end of our 4 month slow season and heading back into our 8 month PSYCHO busy season), we simply don't have the energy, time or space for a 5th tank.

Tim

I am sorry you have to rehome her, but obviously this is for everyone's best. :)

I am sorry you have to rehome her, but obviously this is for everyone's best. :)

I know this decision is a tuff one, but we new with her when we got her, that this would be a possibility. Like Fang said. it is for the BEST for the majority of the fish............... :)

My understanding is the type of tank you have set up does better with more fish and lots of hiding places... Can you fit in more fish? Maybe that would stop the aggression in that one fish.

Just offering my 2 cents in case you didn't think of it your self. But I am sure you have.

I believe your doing whats best for your tank :) so you have to do what you have to do ;) I hope he finds a nice new home :)

I am sorry :( I do have great respect though for you trying to find a better place for Idgie :heart I don't know to many people who could do it! I am sure many great things will come from your desicion :hug

So sorry you have to give up such a beautiful, spirited fish- you are doing what's best for her, as well as the rest of the fish, though. I am sure she will find a wonderful home where she can be happy. :hug

Called the pet shop....they are not able to take Idgie due to her aggression. So Plan B: Bought some more plants and a couple of nice cavey things (ones that allow water to flow through them well so there is no risk of stagnant water development) and will move Idgie into the 29 gallon tank with Mrs. Mean. Put a cave on each end of the tank, use the large cast rock decor as a "divider" in the middle of the tank. Hopefully this works out.....would love to be able to keep Idgie...and there is no way I am rehoming Mrs. Mean.

As far as adding more fish to the 30.....that tank is over stocked already. Water parameters are great due to 2 large water changes per week.....but a 3 foot tank with a male Blue Acara (still not fully mature yet), 7 Giant Danios, 3 Cories, 2 Bolivian Rams (about half grown), a Banjo Catfish and a Tiger Pekoltia....and Idgie....simply won't take another fish.

If housing the two female Cons together does not pan out, there is another pet shop a couple counties away that specializes in cichlids and aggressive fish....and IF he is still in business with the economy being the way it is....I know he will take Idgie in...and likely keep her in one of his show tanks.

Tim

Hope it all works out.

Okay...Plan B blew up in my face like a birthday cake decorated with firecrackers.....BOOOM! Mrs. Mean went after Idgie like a fat man goes after a bacon wrapped donut. So, Idgie is back in the 30, with a cavey thing now.....just have to keep an eye on her.

Crap....Buddy, the Blue Acara, has laid claim to the cave!

Darn cichlids!

Tim

Cichlids sound like a lot of work! The closest I have gotten to housing them in my 3 angelfish in the 50 gal- and thankfully, no one paired up, so they didn't turn into killing machines. So sorry it isn't going so smoothly. Could you maybe try Craigslist for a cichlid enthusiast that could take her, and screen really well/ go check out their tank before letting them have her? I hope it works out with the new set up- it sounds like you really like her. Maybe CL would be a good option if it doesn't, though.