Sign in to follow this  

Okay...

So I'm new to this site and I'm new to fish-keeping, I'm 12, and I wandered why my fish was pooping long thin white strands, and struggling to push it out, I google'd it, and found out it has a bacterial infection, but I don't have enough money to buy any treatment for it yet, the next day, i fed it as normal, and went downstairs, came up to my bedroom to find my fish pooping, only it was normal, i thought his body had fought off the infection, and thought nothing else of it, but then at night he struggled as usual pooping white strands again, this has only happened 2 nights in a row, but I don't want my fourth fish to die

can anyone help me?

T

hello T,

welcome to koko's :heart

i am sorry to hear that you've already lost 3 fish and your 4th is ill. can you try to answer all the questions in the white box above? just copy and paste them into your text and answer them there.

if you don't know some answers, just answer that you don't know and we will try to help you with whatever information you provide. can you post a pic of your fish? you can use the free webhosting site www.photobucket.com and post the link here in your text when you answer the questions..

there are many reasons why a fish will be pooping like that, but you need to answer the questions so that we can have a better understanding of what might be causing this issue.

If this is what you mean:

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level (tank): don't know, need to buy a test kit
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): same
  • * Nitrate level (Tank):same
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): don't know
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap):same
  • * Nitrate level (Tap):same
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines):same
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines):same
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?:don't have one
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?:name-Boyught with kit, so not sure, doesn't say either
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?-King British: safe guard
  • * Water temperature?Cold, not exactly sure, didn't test
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?: Every Saturday/Sunday and about 20%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: When I bought the tank (3 days ago?) and full water change its a new tank
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? almost 2 gals for the moment, saving as we speak for a 15-20 gal
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 and 3-4inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times a day, King British
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Not sure, don't think so
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No,l he looks how he did when i bought him
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. King British: safe guard if thats what that means
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hello Welcome to Kokos :hug

2gallons is way to small for a goldie :( Do think you could get a 10gallon food safe tub(sterlite makes them) from a store. The nice thing about the storage tub is it will be cheap (much much cheaper than a tank) This can hold your fish till you get the 15 to 20gallons ;) Since your tank is 3 days old that means your tank is building up ammonia and fast :( Is it possible to take your tank water and tap water to a Local Fish Shop, most places will test your water for free til you can save money for a water test kit ;) Also when you do get a water test kit make sure it is a liquid drop test kit since the strips are very inaqurate ;)

As Misscolonel said 2 gallons is very small, and your other fish most likely died due to ammonia poisoning. Keeping goldfish is a pretty expensive hobby but a 10 gallon sterelite tub is probably your cheapest and best option if you want to save the last little guy. Until then you want to completely change the water in the 2 gallon every few hours, or every hour or so if you're around. This should keep ammonia levels to a manageable amount until more suitable housing is provided.

Guys

I know all this, I'm saving now but i literally have no money, and 2 gal is better than 3 litres, the first tank was 3 litres, that why i bought the 2 gal, but i was pretty sure my goldie was gonna die in that and when i put him on this tank he's a LOT more active now, anyway, could you answer my question about the poop please?? :)

T

As Misscolonel said 2 gallons is very small, and your other fish most likely died due to ammonia poisoning. Keeping goldfish is a pretty expensive hobby but a 10 gallon sterelite tub is probably your cheapest and best option if you want to save the last little guy. Until then you want to completely change the water in the 2 gallon every few hours, or every hour or so if you're around. This should keep ammonia levels to a manageable amount until more suitable housing is provided.

I agree with this but normally I would be hestitant since we don't know what the ph levels are.

Guys

I know all this, I'm saving now but i literally have no money, and 2 gal is better than 3 litres, the first tank was 3 litres, that why i bought the 2 gal, but i was pretty sure my goldie was gonna die in that and when i put him on this tank he's a LOT more active now, anyway, could you answer my question about the poop please?? :)

The poo could be many things and without proper water readings it is hard to say what it could be for sure :( White poo can mean bacteria infection, constipation, and stress. ;) Those are the most common situations you see white poo.

T

Edited by MissColonel

getting a test kit would be a huge help in your goldie hobby ;) the api master test kit is the most accurate so if you are to get one get that one :D since test strips are highly inaccurate. I think first though you do need a storage tub to keep him in since the white poop could be stress from bad water quality ;)

A test kit should be your #1 priority to purchase. Amazon and petmoutain sell them really cheap if you can get your parents to pay w/ a credit card and you pay them in cash.

But until then, I would be doing 2x 80% water changes daily. Say one at night and one in the morning. My first guess is that the poop is a sign of stress caused by water quality issues. Resolve that first and then if the poop persists we can go from there.

can I just say, my old 3 litre tank had no filter and you could hardly see through it it was so cloudy, this is almost like the water i put in

and I mean, he's pooing right now and its fine, just how it should be, it was just at night

Okay

But how would moving him to another tub be better water quality? its the same water! o.O

Moving him to a 10 gallon tub will take longer for the ammonia to build up, a 3 gallon doesn't take long before ammonia can get dangeraously high. As ashlee has suggest above a 80% water change in the morning and night will help a lot I think but we do need to get the water tested since I am worried about a ph shock if the ph is different out of tap than in the tank.

Edited by MissColonel

Okay

But how would moving him to another tub be better water quality? its the same water! o.O

Moving him to a 10 gallon tub will take longer for the ammonia to build up, a 3 gallon doesn't take long before ammonia can get dangeraously high. As ashlee has suggest above a 80% water change in the morning and night will help a lot I think but we do need to get the water tested since I am worried about a ph shock if the ph is different out of tap than in the tank.

But the waters almost as clear as when i put it in, there's a filter, in my 3 litre i could really see he was suffering, but I put him in this one and he seems really happy, also, out of interest, how long does it take for the water to cycle? a week? by cyc;e, i mean for the ammonia levels to be safe enough for fish to be safe and happy and healthy :)

my tank took 3months and that was a fishless cycle, every cycle is different and it isn't just ammonia you need to worry about you need to understand your PH out of tap and tank as goes for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates all of these things can harm your fish. Also just because the water is clear doesn't mean it isn't dirty and deadly to your fish. please try to do the recommend water changes we suggested. A fish in cycle can take up to 2 to maybe 4months but once again every cycle is different it could take longer or shorter.

my tank took 3months and that was a fishless cycle, every cycle is different and it isn't just ammonia you need to worry about you need to understand your PH out of tap and tank as goes for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates all of these things can harm your fish. Also just because the water is clear doesn't mean it isn't dirty and deadly to your fish. please try to do the recommend water changes we suggested. A fish in cycle can take up to 2 to maybe 4months but once again every cycle is different it could take longer or shorter.

Okay

Can I just say, you guys are the best,giving me all these tips, but I do think 80% water changes is a bit too much, wouldn't that take longer for the water to cycle? The ratio's are wrong

Fish in cycles are always longer since you do have to do so daily water changes to keep the water safe and not in dangerous levels for your fish. Yes 2 daily 80% water changes is what I would do since the tank is too small. If you had a test kit you would see what we are talking about how fast the water can foul in that small of a tank. It is scary how much waste these little buggers can produce lol :rofl

hahahaha, but I can get a 20 gal in 3 weeks, tenner a week for 3 weeks, and my mum pays half

would it survive that long?

Okay

Can I just say, you guys are the best,giving me all these tips, but I do think 80% water changes is a bit too much, wouldn't that take longer for the water to cycle? The ratio's are wrong

Hi there! You have already gotten excellent advice. I just want to back up what Karen has said above, an 80% water change is not too much and is absolutely necessary if you want to keep your fish healthy until you are able to get a larger container for him. I do an 80% change on my fully cycled 40 gallon tank with two fish every 3 days because they are such big waste producers :) It is a myth that water changes will harm your cycle. The bacteria that make up your cycle live in the filter media, not the water, so changing out the water does not harm them. Additionally, in a tank this small it is unlikely that you will ever be able to cycle it fully because it is just too small and the filtration/water volume is just not adequate for the amount of waste a goldfish produces.

Testing the water is absolutely necessary as well. 90% of goldfish issues/illness can be traced back to poor water quality and in a tank this small this is the most likely issue that is resulting in stress for your fish which often shows up as white stringy poo. Granted, there may be other things going on as well, but you need to fix the water quality/tank size issue first, this is the most pressing concern at this point.

A large storage tub is a great option until you can upgrade your tank, you may even have one lying around at home :)

hahahaha, but I can get a 20 gal in 3 weeks, tenner a week for 3 weeks, and my mum pays half

would it survive that long?

If you stay up with the water changes yes your fishie has a fighting chance :) The 20 gallon would be perfect for 1 goldie :D

Okay

Hi there! You have already gotten excellent advice. I just want to back up what Karen has said above, an 80% water change is not too much and is absolutely necessary if you want to keep your fish healthy until you are able to get a larger container for him. I do an 80% change on my fully cycled 40 gallon tank with two fish every 3 days because they are such big waste producers :) It is a myth that water changes will harm your cycle. The bacteria that make up your cycle live in the filter media, not the water, so changing out the water does not harm them. Additionally, in a tank this small it is unlikely that you will ever be able to cycle it fully because it is just too small and the filtration/water volume is just not adequate for the amount of waste a goldfish produces.

Testing the water is absolutely necessary as well. 90% of goldfish issues/illness can be traced back to poor water quality and in a tank this small this is the most likely issue that is resulting in stress for your fish which often shows up as white stringy poo. Granted, there may be other things going on as well, but you need to fix the water quality/tank size issue first, this is the most pressing concern at this point.

A large storage tub is a great option until you can upgrade your tank, you may even have one lying around at home :)

sounds good :) I'll have a look, my mum thinks im taking it all too seriously, or believing everything im told

also, what would be the VERY LEAST i would be able to take? gallonage wide?

When you mean gallon wise you mean to hold 1 goldfish? 1 goldfish needs 20gallons mimimum.