How many fish for 10 gallon tank?

Budakahn

How many fish i see 2 goldfish should be about right, but what if we go the tropical route and they are smaller than goldies how many that route?

New to the fishtank thing so all answers welcome

And also would 3 golds be pushing it

Goldfish really need about a 20gallon tank minimum and that is for 1 goldie they also need 10X the filtration. If you want 3 goldies you would need 40gallons minimum with 400gph filtration but perferably 55gallons with 550gph filtration. Goldfish get BIG no matter how small they start out, they also grow super fast with proper care ;) In 1 month my 4gram bubble eye is now 14gram bubble eye and about a half inch bigger ;) Also are you doing a fishless cycle with ammonia being your seeding? It really is the best thing possible for any fish ;)

Ok so bigger tank and ill use this for a qt tank good stuff i was looking at a 55 gall, but tropicals are like 1/4 the size of goldies that is why i said how many there as well.

Ok so bigger tank and ill use this for a qt tank good stuff i was looking at a 55 gall, but tropicals are like 1/4 the size of goldies that is why i said how many there as well.

Yes that would be awesome for 3 goldies in a 55 gallon they are like big puppies lol ;)

For tropicals I think 6-8 glofish or balloon mollies wouldn't be bad idea :) I love balloon mollies and they breed like crazy :rofl

I don't know much else on tropicals :/

You really need to be specific. Because 'tropical' is a very diverse category.

It can include huge fish like arowana, or small fish like tetras.

We need a general idea of what fish you like and would want to use. c:

just like they say when playing cards......."Go big or stay at home"........................ :D

Seriously tho.............I think you will like the stocking options of the 55......... :clapping:

All great to know i had the water checked yesturday and ph was perfect but amonia was high so i dded a bottle of start smart as per their knowledge at local shop. Ill take some to be tested today but we come home with fish today as well

All great to know i had the water checked yesturday and ph was perfect but amonia was high so i dded a bottle of start smart as per their knowledge at local shop. Ill take some to be tested today but we come home with fish today as well

That stuff really doesn't do to much actually you need to do water changes to get the ammonia down ;) If you are doing a fish in cycle I highly suggest the api drop test kit and daily water changes and we need to know what is in your tap too :) It would also be fun to show your daughter since you feel kinda like a scientist when testing the water this way :rofl I know I do lol ;)

oh and another thing...............(no disrespect to the fish shop employees) but fish shops have been known for being WRONG when giving advice to folks.............................I too have been exposed to their advice................... :yikes .................Just sayin.

I like my local small shop so much better than big box store. I will be getting a test kit as well. There was nothing in tank but pebbles a bunch of sponge bob stuff and water. Because our first try came the ich and death. So we are ereing on the side of precaution now.

The fish we are looking at are mollies glow fish and all the llow aggression tropicals

For the bigger tank i kinda like the silvertail sharks and mid aggression fish myself and for a goldie tank i do like the orange and black bubble eyes

oh and another thing...............(no disrespect to the fish shop employees) but fish shops have been known for being WRONG when giving advice to folks.............................I too have been exposed to their advice................... .................Just sayin.

Also good to know these guys seem very knowledgable

I LOVE bubble eyes they are my FAVORITE breed they do need special requirements more than most goldfish ;) Like filter floss around the intakes no shard objects or fake plants, for real plants make sure they are soft and flexabily ;) barebottom to moonlight sand should be perfect for bubble eye goldies ;) For the spongbob orniaments are the hallow inside? and how thick is your gravel? A picture would be really helpful since some ornaments can harbor bad things specially if they are hallow ;)

Since you have ammonia in the tank, you should change ALL of the water. Then change 5 gallons per day, checking the ammonia and nitrite before each change to be sure your fish aren't getting poisoned.

What shop are you going to? I'm in the south jersey/philly region as well and I'm curious as there is a fabulous one down by me called the aquarium center. 3 goldies would really do well in a 55 and grow big and healthy in no time.

What shop are you going to? I'm in the south jersey/philly region as well and I'm curious as there is a fabulous one down by me called the aquarium center. 3 goldies would really do well in a 55 and grow big and healthy in no time.

Im in roxborough and go to worldwide aquarium and pets on ridge been there for almost 35 yearsaybe longer

Haha we do! There's another one in Lancaster PA that has a big fish selection and gets nice goldies in from time to time, I'm not sure how reliably because I've only been there a few times but it's called That Fish Place, it's attached to That Pet Place, it's like the biggest pet/fish store I've ever been in and all of their animals are very well kept.

Haha we do! There's another one in Lancaster PA that has a big fish selection and gets nice goldies in from time to time, I'm not sure how reliably because I've only been there a few times but it's called That Fish Place, it's attached to That Pet Place, it's like the biggest pet/fish store I've ever been in and all of their animals are very well kept.
i have to say there are allot of mom and pop pet shops and fish stores in the area that are good. There are a bunch that are bad too, but the good ones are very personable, same people owning it since i was young im 35 now, walked in and spent an hour there soakin up info from everyone. I now know all the employees in 3 days. And the smart start they suggested actually worked well in 10 hours it pulled my amonia to acceptable levels when tested it wasnt bad just slightly high

My only suggestion to you is to buy the biggest aquarium you can afford and put in your living quarters. Why? Because the bigger the tank the easier to take care of and more stable the whole set up will be. Not only that, but most folks I know end up wishing they had a bigger tank. "If I only had 10 more gallons, I could get that really neat fish I saw at (insert web adress.com) or that pet store." I have a 56g and I wish I had the space for a larger aquarium...like twice that size. C'est la vie.

Edit: Oh, and longer is better than taller. I'm looking forward to seeing them pics!

Edited by MexiMike83