Babies on the way!

JamieMonster

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!! My blue, white, and purple mystery snails in the goldie tank are breeding like crazy, and have started laying eggs. I'm so excited! The earth toned ones (jades, light chestnuts, dark wilds, dark olives, etc.) have also been putting out eggs. Can't wait for them to hatch, and fingers crossed that I end up with a bunch of dark purples from my light purples crossing with my blues.

Mystery snails rock my socks off. :heart

One of my blue ladies- her shell is a little rough, as I didn't raise her from a baby... but, I still think she's lovely, even with her growth lines.

Pearl1.jpg

One of the light striped purples I have raised from a baby in my tanks- I LOVE the purple snails. Purple is my fav. color.

Purple3.jpg

Oh! You have Jades? Can you put up a picture of one? I've always wanted a Jade apple snail but I can never find them! I think they're beautiful. Good luck with all the baby snails!

I do! There are 2 that hatched from previous clutches that turned out jade- They are still kind of small, and in my 50 gallon tank, now. I *might* have some more with the eggs that will hopefully hatch from that tank. I can certainly get some pics of them! Thanks. :)

Wow! That's fantastic! I love that purple! :)

Thanks, Alex! The purple are my favs, for sure. :D

That's awesome! I now have apple snail babies myself and just put as much as I could in their own tank tonight :D Any tips on taking care of them?

Sure! Be careful when you gravel vac. I put a panty hose sleeve inside of mine when I do their tank, so they can't totally get sucked in- just stick the hose in there with your hand- fold a little back over the outside edge, and secure with a rubber band (can still get deeper into the substrate that way)... but, you have to be careful they don't get buried under the substrate when it's falling back into the tank, either. I am actually thinking about going bare bottomed in the nursery to prevent this. Gel food is also great for them- just put a few dice sized cubes in there for them, throughout the tank, and they will swarm them. A lot less messy than algae wafers or shrimp pellets (I feed those, too, as a supplement)- there's already going to be a lot of mess in the tank from the poop of a hundred baby snails- you may need to vac daily when they get a little bigger. Plain caltrate tabs are great for them, and help them to grow quickly- or, you can buy a cuttle bone from the bird area of the LFS, soak it in water til it sinks, and put that in their tank. They will also eat that for extra calcium, and it will help them to grow smooth, healthy shells. Fresh veggies are also great for them! Keep the tank temp around 78-80, if you want them to grow a little more quickly. Any more specific questions? Ask away. :D

Congratulations!

I love that purple one! Lucky girl. :P

I have a purple mystery snail too. Love them! Congrats on the eggs!!! How fun would it be to raise a bunch?

Thanks, guys! Hoping to have some pics in the next month or so. :D

Yep- there are purple ones, but, they're one of the more rare colors... most of the time you can't find them at the LFS. Sometimes you can find a good deal on them through online auctions, but, a lot of the time people charge an arm and a leg for them (like $20 for 1 snail). You don't really need to do anything special to get them to lay eggs. You just have to have some that are male and some that are female, feed them, and give them clean water & they do their thing. Getting the eggs to hatch can be a little tricky, but, once you've got the hang of it, it's not too bad. They like hard water with a lot of calcium- prefer cooler temps, but do fine in water between 60-84 degrees, and the same parameters as most other aquatic creatures do.

I am hoping to have some pics soon, too! I'll have some to share, if hatching all goes well... and I certainly do not charge $20/per snail for them. ;)