• * Nitrate level (Tap): 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 73.4
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 7-10 days, about 70%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago (thurs, 9/6)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gal, 1.5 years
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 goldfish, about 3 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? ProGold, 4-5 pellets/day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Ulcer followed by Dropsy about 3 months ago (late May)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Appears bloated, vent is stretched; no visible pineconing but don't want to wait too long like the last time
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? swimming a little erratic for him
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Refer to my previous thread from May with details about metro+ and epsom salts used to treat dropsy,
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

I noticed this evening that Dave appears bloated. I have two pics that I took tonight. I don't see any pineconing; he's just a more rounder than usual.

dave1_sm.jpgdave2_sm.jpg

I also noticed that his vent is stretched, but couldn't get a pic, and he's a little bit erratic in his swimming behavior - darting around a bit when he usually just swims rather leisurely through the tank. I'm hoping this is just bad constipation so I just fed him two peas in hopes that I can catch this early and remedy. Assuming this is constipation, Is there anything else I should do at this point?

It has me worried because in May we went through a rough patch where he started out bloated and then it turned to dropsy. I've read that if they dropsy once, they'll dropsy again. If I start to see the beginning of any pineconing, should I start metro+ again?

Hi Beth,

Dave is lucky to have you care for him so well. :)

Yes, at the moment you see pineconing, start the routine that you mapped out with Helen. :)

For now, I have a couple of questions/suggestions:

1. Are you sure Dave is a male?

2. Is Dave floaty at all?

3. Have you tried to feel his tummy?

4. Try using something other than peas, such as cooked baby spinach or green beans.

Let us know how he is tomorrow :)

Hi Alex,

Well this morning he doesn't look any worse. Physically, he looks about the same - maybe slightly better? he's still a bit round around the belly, maybe a little darker in that area, too, like last night. His behavior is better. He isn't erratic and darting around the tank so I take that as a good sign. Here are answers to your questions...

1. Are you sure Dave is a male? No - I am not really sure how to tell the difference.

2. Is Dave floaty at all? Sometimes, but especially so yesterday. Maybe I should switch him over to gel food permanently...?

3. Have you tried to feel his tummy? No I haven't. If I do, what is it I'm feeling for?

4. Try using something other than peas, such as cooked baby spinach or green beans. I have some beans in the freezer so will blanch one and mush it up shortly.

Alex - can you be my mathematician again just in case he does start to pinecone I want to be ready. He's in a 15g tank with no other meds added. Per Helen's previous advice, I want to do a 400mg/10gal dose of metro. I have Metro+ on hand. The hikari people say that "One capful (9.7g) of Metro+ will give a 5 mg/liter concentration of the active ingredient [metronidazole]" If I did my math right, and I don't usually, I would add about 19.4g to the 15 gal tank. Is that anywhere in the ballpark?

Would I also start the epsom salts if he starts to pinecone?

Thanks so much for checking my logic!

hey hun.. sorry to hear fish is not well.. here is a thread i made ( me thinks an article now ) for sexing goldfish.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/102160-sexing-goldfish/page__fromsearch__1

if at 10gallons we're using 400mg Metronidazole, then for 15 gallons, we're using 600mg..

in my honest opinion hun, i do not see any pineconing, and again, this fish does not look out of shape to me (fluid retention). is it possible that the swelling you mention may be a female holding eggs in her tummy? would you feel her tummy for me and tell me if it's soft or firm?

i observe that when a fish heading towards dropsy symptoms, often they retain fluids behind the gills and that is very noticable. it actually gives an "off" shape to the fish rather than a nice inline well proportioned body.

so other than dropsy, which i do not see here, i would recommend that you follow Alex's suggestions for either a female harbouring eggs or severe constipation first, before we begin to medicate with Metronidazole and Epsom. it should really only take 24 to 36 hours tops to determine if these reasons are, or are not the cause for the concern you presented.

I agree. I have a feeling Dave is actually Davina :rofl

Well, Davina is quite nice I think :-) Okay, so s/he looks much better. I don't see the darkness around the abdomen that I saw last night and s/he doesn't seem as budgy.

I looked over Helen's pics and tried to sex him/her. I don't see any of those stars, but couldn't get a real good look at the shape of the vent. s/he apparently is quite shy because coming anywhere near my hand to allow me to poke and prod was out of the question. So I don't have any answer for the whether or not the abdomen is firm or squishy, or if Dave is Davina.

But, the positive is that s/he looks better...so unless something goes south quickly I would say my mini-crisis is over :pond Back to enjoying a restful gaze at the tank.

Question I see that your tank has a ph of 8.4 and your tap of 7.4

Do you let your water sit out to let the ph adjust or just do a water change ???

Question I see that your tank has a ph of 8.4 and your tap of 7.4

Do you let your water sit out to let the ph adjust or just do a water change ???

I do - I fill up my buckets with water and then run an air stone in them for about 12 hours. That usually gets the pH to stabilize at 8.2-8.4.