Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

Is clay aquarium safe?

I want to make a cave or something for my fish out of clay but wasn't sure what kinds are safe..Like can it just be non-toxic or? It would also be a clay I can bake in my oven to harden it. I saw a clay by crayola thats non-toxic and air dries..any ideas?Or polymore clay?

Edited by abcdomo

I would say use a clay that can be fired in a kiln to seal it properly. I think anything that is generally food safe is safe for a fish tank.

Hi- clay, especially the kind that air dries, will reabsorb water & go to mush. Even kiln fired "greenware" (a clay item that has only had its first firing, but has not been glazed & fired the 2nd time) will eventually do the same. You could put finished, glazed clay pieces in an aquarium, as long as it has a water safe glaze on it, and the clay indside & out is completely sealed with water safe glaze. There are some glazes that will start to deteriorate when immersed in water for long periods, and release chemicals into the water slowly. If you're talking about the polymer clays like fimo clay or sculpey- I've never tried immersing them in water as a decoration, but, I can't say I would recommend it. I am thinking it isn't a good idea, as it isn't meant to be in the water for prolonged periods.

an easy way to make a cave is to get a terracotta pot and carefully split it in half :) these pots are really cheap too.

Yes! Clay pots are definitely safe and don't disintegrate. Check out my build thread in the planted tank photo section. I did plenty of research setting this up, and it's without a doubt totally safe. However, don't use a pot that's been glazed with a paint of any kind, it may break down and leach into the tank.

Yes! Clay pots are definitely safe and don't disintegrate. Check out my build thread in the planted tank photo section. I did plenty of research setting this up, and it's without a doubt totally safe. However, don't use a pot that's been glazed with a paint of any kind, it may break down and leach into the tank.

Hello :)

Welcome to the forum! As a general practice here, we don't answer to threads whose last post was 3 months or older.

Thank you, and see you around. :)