Betta tank overhaul

number20121

I overhauled Donna's tank today because the plants had gotten so crazy that a lot of the shorter ones barely got any light anymore :lol

She is still around but the growth is making her weaker and weaker. She spends most of her time resting now but is doing fine otherwise. Unfortunately I don't think she is going to last much longer though :( Anyway, her tank needed a makeover and she got quite excited exploring her "new diggs".

In addition I had to move the remaining small neons in. Over the last week I noticed the slow but steady disappearance of only the small growing neons. You know, the ones that easily fit in my angelfish's mouth :lol I have nowhere else to put them because keeping them with the goldfish is probably not going to help the neons.

Luckily, Donna could not care less about them. She chased them around a bit at first but then decided that they are neither worth her time nor her energy. The neons seem to enjoy themselves since this tank is much more densely planted than the community tank. An oto moved in for a few days too in order to get some of the algae off the front glass and plant leaves.

Plant-wise this tank currently has three anubias barteri var.nana (one of them huge, see second video), a nice sized java fern, one bushy stem giant hygro, two dwarf lilies, two small moss balls, one aponogeton, several stems of brazilian pennywort (thanks to the lack of light from being overgrown, almost all the leaves died off, but a bunch of tiny ones are growing out of the stems again), a small banana plant and various trimmings of anacharis, bacopa caroliniana, baby java ferns, water sprite and who knows what else :lol

And because the video really does not show how huge this one barteri is, here it gets featured in its own video that I took while I took the tank apart. This plant has 30+ leaves! Some don't look so good because of the algae that had started growing on it, but after the oto is done cleaning everything, I might go trim some of the damaged leaves off.

Oh and that is one of the two tiny mossball pieces that is stuck in the plant.

It's looking really good Fang! Donna is beautiful and the plants are doing welll.

The Tank is looking great fang :) I have no luck with planted tanks :( wish I could get either of my Betta tanks looking half as nice ;) Happy to see Miss Donna is still with you :) I'm hoping my guy Quinn is still here when I return from Florida ;)

Oh I loove miss Donna Noble :heart :heart Glad to see she is still doing alright. I must have totally missed when you forst noticed her tumor because I didn;t even know until you posted it on facebook!

I love how lushly planted the tank is :) It is seriously crazy how happy those plants are!

The Tank is looking great fang :) I have no luck with planted tanks :( wish I could get either of my Betta tanks looking half as nice ;) Happy to see Miss Donna is still with you :) I'm hoping my guy Quinn is still here when I return from Florida ;)

Thanks, Shell! I don't have much luck with them in my big tank either because of the lack of proper lighting.The anubias, crypt wendtii and some hygro are the only ones that survive. Not thriving, just surviving :rofl

very nice! I am so happy to see that miss donna noble is still going strong :heart

Thanks! I love this little girl and I'm so happy she's still around :)

Oh I loove miss Donna Noble :heart :heart Glad to see she is still doing alright. I must have totally missed when you forst noticed her tumor because I didn;t even know until you posted it on facebook!

I love how lushly planted the tank is :) It is seriously crazy how happy those plants are!

Thanks Haley! Yep, the plants do surprisingly well in this tank with only the LED light :D

I love how the tank looks. Donna Noble's coloring is quite gorgeous! :)

I wish there were something that could be done to help her.

I know, but the only thing would be to remove the tumor, and considering its fast growth, it will probably be back in no time. No point in putting her through this. She enjoys picking on the frogs, so she's doing well enough :lol

Your tank is so pretty--I like the wild, jungle look with all the live plants. I'm sorry about Donna but she still looks good. I had a hatchetfish with a tumor on her side and a platy with one on her head! They both lived for a long time anyway and still were eating and swimming around ok up til they passed.