dracoluna

:fishtank: so i have this pleco( short for plecostomus) and i started feeding him cucumber chunks and sinking food today and i was wondering if, when he gets off special diet i can put some snails in the tank for him and my catfish to eat, and what kind of snail u wuld reccomend

Well, I think a lot of people here quite like having snails in their tank to take care of algae and stuff. Plecostomus need a good diet of full of vegetables, not just algae. I don't know which snail would be best, but I actually think that you should get a couple of snails and let the fish eat the eggs they lay. That way you have more algae fighting and a constant supply of treats for your fish (:

The pleco will not eat the snails. What kind of pleco is it anyway?

Plecos need mostly a plant based diet. The algae that grows in a tank will not be able to feed a pleco, especially when it's a larger growing variety, unless you have a big algae problem. You need to feed him either algae wafers or even better a varied diet of vegetables (like cucumber, zucchini, greens) and occasionally something meaty like a pinch of goldfish or koi pellets. :)

• 2 weeks later...