Goldfish abdomen/belly swollen

doomgiver

Hello,

I have 3 goldfish (had 4 recently, but one died :( )

Test Results for the Following:

• I dont have any means do do this.... any suggestions for items commonly available at chemist shops?

Other Required Info:

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? : Some sort of canister filter

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? : anti-chlorine drops and some general goldfish aid.

* Water temperature? room temperature, around 20-28 degrees C, throughout the day.

* How often do you change the water and how much? About 30-50% each week, filter is cleaned every 2 weeks

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Over 8 days 50%, delayed because I didnt want to do anything that'd hurt the goldfish.

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 24x20x15 inches, running for ~1.5 years, with complete cleanings every 6 months (I remove all goldfish, thoroughly clean the inside, gravel, and change around 80% of the water. filter is untouched for at least 1 week, then it too is cleaned)

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 Fish. the sick one is 2 inches (body) the other 2 are 1-1.5 inches, bought about a week back.

* What do you feed your fish and how often? goldfish pellets, 2 times daily, soaked for 10-20 seconds, about 8 pellets each.

* Any new fish added to the tank? 2, about a week ago

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) : none, was perfectly healthy till date, been around 1.5 years

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? : A bit of white stuff on the tail, might be poo, or nothing.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? : None, normal behaviour... maybe a bit less hungry, but nothing too radical. Also, I havent seen him poo for about a week.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 2 minute salt bath 1 week ago.

http://imgur.com/a/pgWX4 <--- album

1. tank size, with inch ruler

2. food. bloodworms and pellets.

3. side view, notice the visible swelling

4. medical stuff. not the best quality, but its all i could get my hands on.

I am uploading a video, will post later.

EDIT : silly me, left out some parts :

one of my surviving goldfish has a swollen belly, and hasnt been pooping for about a week.

I tried feeding him mashed boiled peas, but he didnt eat much.

What else can I feed him?

What is wrong with him?

video : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24817425/goldfish%20video.avi

Also, I originally had 4 goldfish, 2 pairs from 2 shops.

one of the pair died just a few months after I bought him, and his mate managed to survive for a year, but he too died :(

the second pair was luckier. the current goldfish is the survivor of the 2nd pair. the one who died had a beautiful tail.

One thing i've noticed, when my goldfish die, they all start lying on the bottom of the tank, and just cant seem to float. and their fins just fade/wear away. they do try to come up for food, but usually they cant make it. I tried everything for my goldfish, even tried to hand feed them, but they wouldnt eat and just wasted away.

what do I do?

• Supporter

wow.. that is a very swollen belly, but i can't see if the fins are sticking out away from the body.. if you can answer me that that would be very helpful..

also, to film the video, did you switch the filter off? and how far away is your local fish shop?

Hello doomgiver :)

You should be able to find the answers to the ph and stuff if you take a water sample to your local pet store. We recommend using the API drop test kit to figure out these parameters. If you could find this information it will help the moderators assist you in a faster more efficient fashion. We have no idea what the problem is until we get that information from you.

I wanted to point out a couple of observations:

From what I can deduce based on your measurements you're aquarium is approximately 30 gallons which would house 2 full-grown goldfish at the max. (We recommend about 15g/fish). But since they are still small you have some time before you might have to start thinking about upgrading to a bigger tank. The other thing that will be helpful is the type of filter you have, the reason being as you are probably aware, that goldfish are messy and produce lots of waste. So it's important that there is an adequate filtration system in place.

The last thing I wanted to mention is that water changes can never hurt. Good luck!

Edited by MexiMike83

• Supporter

the typical routine for goldfish care is a minimum 60% waterchange weekly. there is no need to remove everything for a major clean every 6 months. in fact, it is probably best that you don't because you risk killing off all the beneficial bacteria that has built up on everything. what you can do is purchase a siphon and vacuum the gravel thorougly with each water change. you can also wipe the walls down with your dedicated fish cleaning cloth or sponge. these need to be cleaned well after every waterchange so that bad bacteria does not form on them.

with evey weekly water change if one has gravel in their tank we do the abovementioned as well as scrub clean any ornaments particularly the under side.

can you explain for me how exactly you clean out your filter(s)? including the media within?

stakos : Well, the fish appears completely normal... fins are ok, though they look a bit flimsy and thin.

The petshop is a few miles away. wont do any good, as he only stocks fish and some basic supplies. im in India, and almost no one stocks "serious" pet equipment, and a finding vet is practically impossible. I could go to the "hip" stores and ask, but they charge waay too much for almost the same stuff, and they are a few hours journey away.

Its a running joke in my family that I "rescue" fish from the shopkeeper's tyranny.

MexiMike83 : That tank was the only one I could afford at that time :) I hope to have a bigger tank by next year, or maybe 2.

What kind of drop test kits should I look for? brand? trade name? or even a pic will do. Also, will pH paper do?

And as for the filter, I have 2 filters, both of similar type. The kind where water is sucked in from the bottom, and passes through a foam filter, and is pumped back into the aquarium. The big black one also has a pipe to mix air into the outgoing water, and the one at the bottom is just anormal one.

I clean them by hand, no soap, no products. The foam, I just put it under the running water, and then squeeze it out. Tap water is used everywhere.

Water that is supposed to go into the tank gets put in a tub near the goldfish for at least 24 hours, and I put anti-chlorine drops, about 20 drops for the whole tank. (The tank water level is low in the pics coz I didnt do the water change, and the lid was open, otherwise its about 2-3 inches from the top.)

Thank you!

• Supporter

there is a lot that is available online from nearby international sellers of which most offer free shipping just the same. you can try ebay for Seachem Prime and API freshwater test kits (the liquid drops type).. these two products are aquarist's best friends.

i would like to see you do a few 60% waterchanges back to back.. to bring the water as fresh as possible. i also would like to see that the tank be filled to maximum capacity. as MexiMike83 as explained the requirements of "space" per goldfish, by keeping the water at the level you have shown, you are only providing about 20 gallons, if that. so please do the waterchanges and fill the tank to it's fullest capacity.

for the filter, it cannot be cleaned by just rinsing with tap water. every time you do this, the cycle dies. basically, you are rinsing away all the beneficial bacteria that has formed or is forming in the filter media. if you've ever noticed the water go cloudy, it's due to toxins building up.. toxins being ammonia and nitrites that are produced by the waste the fish make and by uneaten food. if a cycle is present, the ammonia will be turned into nitrates. nitrates are healthier to have than ammonia, however, too many nitrates can lead to nitrate poisoning. nitrates do climb quickly in an overstocked, not properly maintained aquaruim or pond.

we like to keep nitrates under 20ppm, any more than this is normally not too bad, however, nitrate poisoning can lead to swim bladder problems, lethargy, loss of appetite and bloating.

if your fish is severely constipated. you can try to feed it a half soft boiled deshelled pea with a granule of epsom salt pushed into it. the epsom salt can help as a stronger method of relieving heaviliy constipated goldfish.

please do the water changes as recommended and then try to fast your fish for 24 hours. feed the epsom granule pea to the fish with the swollen belly only. the others do not need to be exposed to this if they are not suffering the same symptoms.

• Supporter

the pea needs to be boiled in some tank water until soft. then, allow it to cool, take the skin off, split it in half and push the epsom granule into it. then feed, but do fast the all the fish for 24 hours before you do this.

when it comes time to feed just this one time only the epsom pea, to be sure that only he gets to eat it, please remove the fish into a bowl of tank water and feed it. once you're satisfied that the fish has been fed the pea with epsom, you can then slowly introduce him back into the tank with the bowl.. ie, there is no need to handle the fish. remove him by catching him in the bowl, feed him and then place him back into the tank with the same bowl. ok?

Hehe, he wont be caught in the bowl :P

This fat cat is the most energetic goldfish i've ever had. Loves riding against the pressure wave of the filter outlet. Shoots around the tank when in the mood.

I always catch him by hand, as he wriggles too much to use a net (might damage fins or slime coat). I have to herd him in a corner and them slowly close my hand against him. Then I cup my hands and move him to his temporary home.

But yeah, I'll remember to put him back with the bowl.

Also, what is the basic list of starter equipment for a tank my size?

I'd like to have some economic options. Or this is not the place to ask such questions?

Edited by doomgiver

• Supporter

Hehe, he wont be caught in the bowl :P

This fat cat is the most energetic goldfish i've ever had. Loves riding against the pressure wave of the filter outlet. Shoots around the tank when in the mood.

I always catch him by hand, as he wriggles too much to use a net (might damage fins or slime coat). I have to herd him in a corner and them slowly close my hand against him. Then I cup my hands and move him to his temporary home.

But yeah, I'll remember to put him back with the bowl.

Also, what is the basic list of starter equipment for a tank my size?

I'd like to have some economic options. Or this is not the place to ask such questions?

i am happy to hear that you don't use a net :)

there is a DIY section filled with good information on how to make a filter at home with non expensive products.. here is the section you can check out. you can also start a thread there for equipment information if you can't find the answer to what you're looking for in whatever has already been posted.. basically it's for everything to do with equipment :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/30-diy/

• 4 months later...

ok, so, im updating after a looong time.

Mr Fat Cat is alive, but not well. The belly has gotten bigger, and he is having trouble swimming (sometimes floats upside down)

i have got him 2 more goldfish to keep him company around october last year, and now they are bigger than him (and they snatch his food, greedy devils, and Fat Cat does not get to eat more than a few pellets). also, his feeding habits have become weird. when i put out the food, he wont respond (he usually sulks away in a corner), and will only come up to eat maybe a couple of pellets before swimming back to the bottom. also, his poo is very thin, clear and long (it wrapped around his tail once, had to clean it for him)

i tired feeding him peas many times, but he does not want to eat them, and spits them out. (though when i scatter the peas on the bottom, he comes and pokes around a bit)

i have almost given up on him, and i pray that he goes away without much pain.

want pics?

I'm sorry to hear he is still not doing well. Pictures would be good; video even better.

In terms of purchasing two more fish, what is your current tank situation? Still the same? I am just worried of overstocking, which can potentially worsen problems if you are not keeping on top of water quality with them.

Have you been able to get your water tested, or been able to purchase a test kit online? I understand this thread was opened a few months ago, so I just want to try and gather as much up-to-date information as possible for current.

My tank has 3 fish atm.

i've had to turn off a canister filter, so that Fat Cat would not have problems swimming, so, i think the tank is not as clean as it should be.

how to check water quality? parameters? also, if possible, please tell me tools that are easily available at any generic store.

Edited by doomgiver

The issue is that I don't know what you have available where you live, but I would assume your local fish/pet shop would stock what you need.

Otherwise, you can purchase off of amazon.com which will ship to you. The most important thing at the moment is an API freshwater master test kit.

How long has the filter been turned off? There's two filters in the tank, so one is still running, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you are still having trouble. "API" is the brand of test kit we are recommending and they are liquid drops. Paper tests are unfortunately, pretty inaccurate. It will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, GH and kh hardness tests as well.

If you can find out the brand and size of your filter, it would help everyone too. For goldfish, filtration of 10x tank capacity is recommended, such as 100gph filtration for a 10 gallon tank. Typically gallons per hour (gph) is listed on the filter box, if you still have it.

Be sure to vacuum the gravel very well if you decide to keep it in the tank. I'm sorry your fish are having problems and I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by GreenTea

Thank you.

I checked online (ebay and amazon) for good filters, and boy, they cost a bomb (taking into account all the customs and taxes, 50% in my country).

I'm thinking of making a fluidized sand filter, DIY.

here is a basic design : http://i.imgur.com/B5xVlNas.jpg

links :

http://www.aquarium-central.com/DIYfluidbedfilter.html

http://fishaddicts.forumotion.com/t444-fluidized-sand-filtration-systems