Sign in to follow this  
Akari_32

Random questions :)

I have a few questions about how to make my next batch of gel food :)

My Goldie's are all outside fish, I have 4 fancies, and 7 commons and comets. The ponds are covered in algea and the fish get tadpoles, insects, and insect larvae, and bits of grass when the lawn gets mowed.

Now on to the questions! I feed both ponds a few times a week, depending on the current tadpole populations (moms terrified of frogs lol), both ponds get the same food.

1) are sugar snap peas ok for the fancies? We bought some fresh ones and I threw some in the freezer to pur?e the next time I made them a batch of food.

2) I have Hikari Bio Pure (or whatever they're called) frozen bloom worms, as well as their Spiralina Brine Shrimp. Could either or both of these be used in the food? Can I substitute something with one or both of these? (list of what I use is in #4).

3) should focus more on veggies or protein, since they are outside fish?

4) last batch, I used 2 oz of fish (all we had was flounder), a hard boiled egg white, one 2.5 oz cup of organic pea baby food, 2 oz of fresh Zuchinni, yellow squash, and garlic, one Publix Greenwize kids multi vitamin, and a tablespoon or so of Aqueon Pellets (roughly crushed). Does this sound good, of should I do more or less of anything? They really love it. I think it's why my big commons love me so much LOL They were really shy when I first got them back from my friend.

5) where on EARTH do you people find Agar? I can only find Gelatin. I bought Knox brand, unflavored. Seems to work great. Each packet has about 2 teaspoons.

I think that's all I've got for you right now..... :)

1) are sugar snap peas ok for the fancies? We bought some fresh ones and I threw some in the freezer to purée the next time I made them a batch of food.

Peas of any kind are actually not good for goldfish, because it's not the right kind of "protein profile." They are fine as occasional snacks, but should be avoided as a staple food. I've used peas in my gel food recipes before, and it's OK in small amounts, I think. Try using other veggies instead of peas.

2) I have Hikari Bio Pure (or whatever they're called) frozen bloom worms, as well as their Spiralina Brine Shrimp. Could either or both of these be used in the food? Can I substitute something with one or both of these? (list of what I use is in #4).

Yes, I've mixed both into the gel mix.

3) should focus more on veggies or protein, since they are outside fish?

A balanced food is still best. Being outside fish, I doubt they are lacking in either veggies or proteins, so you don't need to make up for any of it.

4) last batch, I used 2 oz of fish (all we had was flounder), a hard boiled egg white, one 2.5 oz cup of organic pea baby food, 2 oz of fresh Zuchinni, yellow squash, and garlic, one Publix Greenwize kids multi vitamin, and a tablespoon or so of Aqueon Pellets (roughly crushed). Does this sound good, of should I do more or less of anything? They really love it. I think it's why my big commons love me so much LOL They were really shy when I first got them back from my friend.

Perhaps a bit more animal products here such as FBW and brine will be good.

5) where on EARTH do you people find Agar? I can only find Gelatin. I bought Knox brand, unflavored. Seems to work great. Each packet has about 2 teaspoons.

I think that's all I've got for you right now..... :)

My first batch was entirely experimental, which is why there wasn't much fish. I only pulled out one fillet, thinking it would do the trick lol It was also a 1/2 recipe, based off the ones in the floaty fishy thread, above.

Could I keep up with one 2 oz fillet and add a few cubes of the spiralina brine shrimp and blood worms, rather than have to steam even more fish? The steamers not very big, so even the fillets we have need to be broken to bits, and there no way more than one fillet would fit in there LOL

Should I not use pea baby food any more, then? I used it because it's a good laxitive, which I figured would be good for the fancies. I've seen no ill effects.

And one more! It's starting to get cold at night, but still freekishly hot during the day. Is the cool temp going to call for a different diet, other than not feeding them once it starts hitting the 50's? (it is the 50's, right??)

You should wait for shakaho for some other pond experts to give you their thoughts about feeding in cooler temps. Shakaho is good because of her location.

Peas aren't bad, but as Steve Hopkins explained, it's the wrong type of proteins. Bloodworms etc are better, especially when you are thinking head growth, and I would add ryukin hump here.

Instead of using peas, using mixed veggies.

You can definitely keep that amount of fish and add more FBW. Add about 2 ounces worth though.

You can usually find agar at health food or Asian stores. Agar agar is used as a Eco friendly gelatin substitute or gelling component for foods and is usually in the dessert section (:

You should wait for shakaho for some other pond experts to give you their thoughts about feeding in cooler temps. Shakaho is good because of her location.

Peas aren't bad, but as Steve Hopkins explained, it's the wrong type of proteins. Bloodworms etc are better, especially when you are thinking head growth, and I would add ryukin hump here.

Instead of using peas, using mixed veggies.

You can definitely keep that amount of fish and add more FBW. Add about 2 ounces worth though.

Ok, no more peas in their staple diet! :) I've got 2 orandas (both males, I think. One is questionable. one will be rehomed once he gets bigger), a ryukin and a moor (both female). I should be focusing on more protein for web growth? The Ryukin is a calico, and I hear they don't as exaggerated humps. Am I correct in that?

No problem on the mixed Veggies! We keep yellow squash and Zuchinni around for my Mali Uromastyx, and I can buy what ever baby food or fresh veggies I feel like using at the time. What about lettuces? We also keep spring mix or romain around for him, too.

When measuring the frozen food out, should I measure it thawed and strained, or in the frozen cubes?

You can usually find agar at health food or Asian stores. Agar agar is used as a Eco friendly gelatin substitute or gelling component for foods and is usually in the dessert section (:

Markets around my area are creepy LOL I got the gelatin in the pudding isle at Publix :) I can check the Greenwise/organic section for it, though, or perhaps have them order it in if they don't have it... We don't have any health food stores I don't think.

Whole Foods has agar agar, as well :)

You can also use carrageenan, which is essentially the same thing.

You are right in that calico ryukins usually aren't as humpy, although there are some spectacular exceptions to this, including Helen's fish.

I think a whole tray of FBW is 3.5 ounces, so half of it at a time is probably OK :)

Whole Foods has agar agar, as well :)

You can also use carrageenan, which is essentially the same thing.

You are right in that calico ryukins usually aren't as humpy, although there are some spectacular exceptions to this, including Helen's fish.

I think a whole tray of FBW is 3.5 ounces, so half of it at a time is probably OK :)

No Whole Foods here either >.<

I've never even heard of that stuff. Where would I find it?

Haha, convenient choice of Ryukin on my part lol I don't like the whole humpy thing, but holy dang Swimmy is just so cute! Couldn't pass her up lol

I've got about a half tray left, so that works out well LOL