Sign in to follow this  
Cezza91

Just bought some sand for my tank. Any tips?

I just bought some TMS online and its in the post, so I just wondered if anyone had any tips on putting it in the tank?

At the moment I have gravel, so should I take it out all at once or some at a time? My tank is still cycling so I'm unsure how much taking out the gravel would affect that. Also, I need some advice on cleaning the sand before I put it in the tank, and what I should do with the fish whilst I'm adding it to the tank. I should remove them, right? Do I need to take out the water too?

I'm pretty much clueless to be honest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Moving this to the water quality section.

Also could you post your water numbers please this will help me in figuring how how much to move :)

Hope this helps...

You will want to remove your gravel slowly with your w/c's maybe 1/4 at a time so you don't mess your cycle,

if you ordered the pre mixed sand just read the package and add to tank,other wise the other type needs to be rinsed a bit ;)

when vacuuming sandy tank bottoms you want to swirl and rotate just above the sand surface to pick up the waste and not the sand,

also you may need to raise your intake tubes a bit?

I have found that with any form of sand whether it be TMS or regular super naturals it is best to rinse it out (even if it is "pre-rinsed"). Placing small amounts of the sand into buckets and swirling it will still release plenty of sediment that you don't want your filters having to process. There should also be a "clarifying packet" included and this helps but if your fish are already in the tank I would suggest a little extra rinsing instead and not using the packet.

As far as how much gravel to take out, I would suggest removing small amounts at a time so you don't experience a cycle bump, especially if you are just establishing a cycle. How many gallons is your tank? And how many inches of gravel do you have?

Here's what I did when I added my sand :) :

• Take a couple small nets worth of gravel out each water change (best check other sources first though)
  • I put a small amount of sand in a bucket, put the bucket in the bathtub and let the water run into the bucket and overspill. Most the sand stays at the bottom of the bucket while the cloudy water falls out of the bucket. While these uses up a bit of sand in the process I didn't notice a significant amount missing, and I found it to be easyest.
  • When you can place your hand into the bucket and see your hand through the water, I'd say thats clear enough to start putting into the tank. My fish stayed in the tank for the process. Just took a handful, placed it in the tank as gentle as possible, and it settled nicely on the bottom, hardly any floaty bits. I rinsed maybe 5 handfuls of sand and added them to the tank every 2nd day or so to avoid too much clouding as much as I could. Hope this makes sense.
  • Raise the filter intake tube so it's about a couple inches away from the sand at least. To avoid sand getting sucked up.
  • If your redecorating, put the sand in first before the plants or ornaments, the sand going in will cover the ornaments and make em sandy.
  • I reccomend a small water change after each time you add sand, just to help with cloudyness.
  • Try not to make the sand too thick in there, deep sand can make air pockets of bacteria if not stirred or moved around enough. My sand is only thick enough to cover the bottom so you can't see the glass, but its up to you what you make it
  • Fishies inspected sand, and everybody was happy :)

Keep an eye on your fish for any irritation. I have sugar sized fine aragonite sand and have never had a problem, but my fish didn't seem to like the larger sand (it was fine sized but large enough that you could make out that it was tiny rocks) this seemed to cause irritation. TMS is sugar sized as well I believe so you should be fine :)

Congratulations on changing to sand! You've made an awesome choice. After seeing what can happen when a goldie chokes on gravel, I'm super happy they have sand now to sift through and enjoy safely :)

I just bought some TMS online and its in the post, so I just wondered if anyone had any tips on putting it in the tank?

At the moment I have gravel, so should I take it out all at once or some at a time? My tank is still cycling so I'm unsure how much taking out the gravel would affect that. Also, I need some advice on cleaning the sand before I put it in the tank, and what I should do with the fish whilst I'm adding it to the tank. I should remove them, right? Do I need to take out the water too?

I'm pretty much clueless to be honest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hello how are we doing?

My sand finally arrived this morning (slow post!), and as you guys advised, I've been removing the gravel a bit at a time with each water change. There's only a very thin layer left now, doesn't even fully cover the floor, so I'll take the rest of that out with today's water change and I can get to the sand.

I'll follow your advice Jesswyn, because it seems like the best way of doing it that I've seen so far (and its easy to understand :P ). Going to get that done later on, so I'll let you all know how it worked out and post some pics. :)