Oranda not swimming right, gulping, flashing

Batto

Thanks guys :)

I'm seeing black streaks at the base of his tail on the underside he also appears slightly darker/greyer in colour underneath in patches, blood vessels are more prominent in his tail and fins as well

Why is this?

Edited by salvo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o I don't understand, my parameters have been fine, maybe I've missed something, I'll double check from now on!!!

Do you recommend I continue treating the ranchu in the MAIN tank? I've just added 3rd treatment but I don't like salting the tank with her as she has suffered from dropsy in the past, she appears happy and healthy!

Thanks Dnalex

Edited by salvo

:o I've salted the main tank @ 0.3%, next round I'll drop back to 0.1%, she has been pooing long clear white poops and seems very sedated I'll keep a close eye on her

I get home from work and oranda in QT is c shape AGAIN looking like he's on deaths door with with black marks all over him I check the ammonia levels 3 times and it is 1.0 :o so I rip him out of QT and put him back into the main tank :krazy:

I have only been checking the new water in QT not the old..... duh!! ........... I've been (unintentionally) poisoning my fish - oh the guilt!

He is swimming around nicely back in the main tank in suitable water (yes I checked), have I done him permanent damage?

:no:

Edited by salvo

Only time will tell. I am sorry I didn't try to push in asking questions, but I assumed that when you check parameters, you check new AND old water, just as the form always asks us to do. In any case, I'm glad you discovered it.

I am not so sure putting him back into the main tank was what I would have done, since to getting rid of ammonia in QT simply requires doing a 100% WC. Then you can just check parameters and continue treatment.

Thanx dnalex,

YES I should have just done a 100% WC QT, I just panicked I have NEVER seen that ammonia reading before!

I could put him back in QT but there may be another ammonia spike when I'm @ work tomorrow

I've read that melafix is good for ammonia poisoning (I have some) and to lay off the food for a while, I was feeding him antibiotics in QT

Will the salt/prazi hurt his recovery from ammonia poisoning?

ahh gee...... sorry bout all the questions I'm just confused as to what to do next

What you reckon?

YES I should have just done a 100% WC QT, I just panicked I have NEVER seen that ammonia reading before!

It's done. We'll just do what we can to help him now.

I could put him back in QT but there may be another ammonia spike when I'm @ work tomorrow

If you do 100% daily WCs and use Prime, it's not possible for 1 fish to spike ammonia to dangerous levels in the appropriate container.

I've read that melafix is good for ammonia poisoning (I have some) and to lay off the food for a while, I was feeding him antibiotics in QT

I've never heard this. Could you show me where you read it?

Will the salt/prazi hurt his recovery from ammonia poisoning?

The question is more, will the ammonia poisoning hurt his efforts to get rid of flukes, i.e. interfere/undo what Prazi/salt have been doing to help.

ahh gee...... sorry bout all the questions I'm just confused as to what to do next

Let's leave him be for now. We can assess tomorrow. I don't like moving sick fish several times in a day.

What you reckon?

Thanks for your speedy reply dnalex, fingers crossed

This site is not saying in words use melafix for ammonia poisoning but the melafix pic is in the treatment box as you can see, it's very misleading

http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/ammonia_poisoning/

As far as I know, Melafix does not treat ammonia poisoning, and the oily layer may actually makes things worse in the case of ammonia poisoning. It's the same idea as to why people shy away from using high concentrations of salt when there is a lot of ammonia.

In fact, as far as I know, nothing really treats ammonia poisoning other than removing the ammonia, but doing water changes and have a cycled tank.

My oranda is still floaty/vertical and spends most of him time around the heater. There are black streaks on his fins and tail and some dark blotches on his body but overall he doesn't look too bad physically and he is NOT c shaping thank goodness :rolleyes:

My ranchu appears a bit more lethargic than usual (she never was a frisky fish) and she never displayed the same "fluke" symptoms like oranda

I do regret that I freaked out and took oranda out of QT as I am no longer feeding him the metro, both fish in the last few days have been feed a small amount of beans.

I will be doing 4th round prazi tonight

Edited by salvo

MissColonel I was feeding oranda antibiotics in the QT but I had a freak out (ammonia burns from bad water) so I foolishly put him back in the main tank instead of just doing a 100% WC. I don't want to feed antibiotics to my other fish (she has already been on antibiotics earlier this year) so I stopped. I suppose by cutting short the treatment of antibiotics I have decreased it's effectiveness for future use?

It isn't only that but can possibley make super bugs that can be resistant to the antibiodotic and, making thing a bit more difficult down the road if he ever needs to be on them again :( What done is done now just please keep a close eye on them and how are they doing today?

I know what it is like to be super worried about my babies :hug but if you have get worried or scared or need advice we are here for you :hug there is always someone here to answer you question or help :heart:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys just completed my 5th prazi salt treatment and my little guy is no better, I just don't know what to do next :( he just looks spends most of his time in the corner of the tank looking pathetic, there was a time I thought he was getting better but it's not to be .

Is it time for plan B or do I just give up?

:help:

Edited by salvo

Sorry for double post

Guys should I put him in QT and try the antibiotics again?

Could you upload a video?

I seem to recall that right before you panicked and threw him back in the main tank, he was improving with the antibiotic food. It might be worth trying it again, although I'm not sure if the Metro will have the same effect, given the course of meds was cut short last time. :(

light isn't great

th_fuckedfishy004.jpg

and another of his sometimes weird vertical posture

th_fuckedfishy009.jpg

He's in QT and I've started him again on the antibiotics

I've really tried my hardest over the last few weeks to help him but unfortunately again tonight he started C shaping, he still eats and goes for small swims

I keep sitting beside him and telling him I'm sorry

Little fella is breaking my heart :cry

Guys can you help me out here,

Do I do a 100% WC in the QT every time I see traces of ammonia??

I change the water then 6 hours later there is a reading of 0.25 at this rate I'm looking at doing 4 WC per day if I want to keep the tank ammonia free

Do I do a 100% WC every time I see ammonia or is one 100% WC per day enough?

Are you using Prime, or some water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia? What test kit are you using? Some test kits will give a false low positive when you've used Prime, so it would make sense to detect that bit of ammonia.

Hang in there. This kind of recovery will not happen overnight, unfortunately :(

Yes dnalex I'm using Prime, and API test kits that I just purchased recently.

I'll just keep up the daily WC

I don't have much hope at the moment, I haven't seen any poos and he's having trouble eating :no:

Edited by salvo

Grrrrr!!

Ok ...... so I thought i'll just do a water test b4 bed time and the ammonia reads 0.50

I'm very concerned so of course I'm going to do ANOTHER WC this time leave him in the tank so not move him around too much, this is my 3rd today!!!!

I said I'd only do a daily WC but this reading scares me and he looks so bad, I can't take the risk tho the reading may be false

:no: :no: :no:

Little fella has been c shaping now since sunday night he rarely swims. I ask myself not if he will make it but how long is it gonna take for him to die? I feed him small bits of the medicated gel food 3 times a day it takes him a long time to eat and I have not seen any poops since sunday night. I'll keep going with the medicated gel food until it runs out (I have only enough for apporx 9 days all up) so again I will not be able to see the treatment thru to the end. I'm trying to upload a vid but my camera has died and I'm trying to work out how to upload vids from my phone everything is a process that I can't be bothered with at the moment. I teach piano from my lounge room and there he is looking sad in some kind of limbo, my students ask what is wrong with my fish and I start getting teary :cry1

How do you know when you can't do anymore for your fish and it's time to put him to sleep?

Edited by salvo