Test Results for the Following:

Other Required Info:

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 10
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH (safe level) light golden brown colour (lost colour card)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) same as above
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 23 degrees
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 7-14 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago 60%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons 2 years
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 ranchu, and oranda approx 15cm in length
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? peas and special formulated fish food from supplier
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) ranchu treated for bacterial infection/dropsy in quarantine
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? please see post below
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Treated tank with Prazi and salt approx for 1 week approx 9months ago
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hi guys,

I would like to provide a video of my oranda but photo bucket is closed for maintenance at the mo, it's coming

Over a period of time (approx 3 months) I have noticed a very subtle changes in my orandas behavior at first he seemed slightly isolated in the corner and started to swim more erratically than usual, he is eating well and his body looks fine

Over the last week, last couple of days especially I have noticed several things

He is gulping at the top of the tank then swims erratically down to the bottom wen first and seems to bang his head

He will float briefly upside down and does 360's lateral turns

He will swim on his side at times

He spends most of his active time "head down" in a vertical position

His swimming at times seems rather erratic

Your help (as always) is much appreciated :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am sorry your Oranada isn't feeling well :hug

I am going to wait for the video and what others will think as well ;) Also what brand of Prazi did you use?

I am wondering about your water change regiment though, If it has only been 4 days since your last water change and the Nitrates are already at 10 I would recommend trying to keep them under 20. So weekly Water changes will be perfect so if possible try to keep doing them weekly and try not to let it slide to 2 weeks ;) I understand though when life gets busey :krazy: lol

Sounds like symptoms of flukes (head banging, flashing, surface gasping, slow deterioration, etc.). I am thinking salt & prazi for 3 weeks... , but, I will let the more experienced people chime in with their opinions... wait for them to answer, please, they're way better at this than I am. I hope your fishy feels better soon, though!

One week of prazi is not nearly enough. I always shoot for at least 4 rounds (4 weeks) to 6 rounds of prazi. Only one round reduces the numbers but doesn't kill them off.

Also, make sure to do weekly water changes. We change water for reasons other than just test parameters.

Thank guys,

Yes I usually change the water weekly but lately it been more like 10-14 days cause life has been quite hectic but back to weekly water changes now

Miss Colonel - I used Aqua Master prazi

Ashlee - Yes twas silly of me that I didn't complete the course of Prazi, at the time I freaked out on effect it was having on my fish

Here is a short video, the odd behavior doesn't really start till half way through

th_flukefishy004.jpg

Edited by salvo

Ok it looks like we are going to need to treat for flukes, also when you say you didn't like what it was doing to your fish , did you mean bottom sitting lethargic and labored breathing?

Thanks Miss Colonel

Yes I remember both my guys being quite lethargic, it was the first time I ever treated for flukes I noticed long stringy poo, they just looked miserable, so I panicked and took the medication out!

I presume I'm treating both fish?

Thanks Miss Colonel

Yes I remember both my guys being quite lethargic, it was the first time I ever treated for flukes I noticed long stringy poo, they just looked miserable, so I panicked and took the medication out!

I presume I'm treating both fish?

That can happen treating for flukes since the nasty lil buggers are releasing from their gills leaving tiny abrasions and casuing some discomfort. With salt though the abrasions will heal and protect against secondary infections ;) The stringy poo was probably stress poos aswell. Yes treat both fish :) Keep us posted on any behavior change ;)

Edited by MissColonel

Thanks MissColonel

I just did a big water change added the Prazi and 0.1 salt which I will increase to 0.3 over the next 36 hours, do I do a big water change in 3 days and repeat the whole process?

Mr Boff isn't looking too great today he's floating upside down alot, I hope I haven't left the treatment too late :(

Edited by salvo

I believe so I have never used that type of Prazi before but Praziqualentein only stays active for about 72 hrs, so that should be fine.

4th day do a huge water change add salt back whatever you took out.

5th day do another huge water change add salt and prazi back in ;)

Keep doing this til you have added prazi 4 to 6 times ;)

Also if you want lets try feeding Mr Boff just some veggies(green beans, spinach) and maybe some fasting, to keep his floatiness undercontrol ;) Prazi sometimes can make a fish floaty :hug

Thank again MissColonel

Out of curiosity why am I doing a big WC on the 4th and another on the 5th day?

Is this to give the fish 1 day break from the med?

It's good to know that perhaps the prazi is making him floaty.

By the way BEAUTIFUL horsey!! :)

Just added last of salt

Here is a video I took earlier today very distressing :no:

I almost thought he was dying several times today then he would get a little energy and go for a vertical float

I was reading somewhere that it is not good to salt the tank if a fish has suffered from dropsy (Arki the ranchu had dropsy several months ago) she appears stressed and lethargic

They are both pooing long white poops

th_flukefishy031.jpg

Edited by salvo

It looks like they have a quite a bit of flukes. Actually the meds are already inactive on the 4th day and is only active for 72hrs :) we do the water changes to clean the tank and keep water clean and such up any dead flukes and this break gives time for the new eggs of flukes to hatch since prazi doesnt kill the eggs. Hmm we normally don't like to keep fish who have dropsyed is salt water but please do keep a eye on her I am going to see if we can get a special treatment for her, but she does still need to be treated for flukes. :hug I hate flukes myself and I understand how hard it is to watch them like this :heart

Miss Colonel I feel alot better hearing your kind words and support and your advice makes alot of sense

Both fish appear to be more chipper today :D

ALRIGHT!!

Ok so Prazi has been in for 72 hours

In the next couple of days I will do 2nd round

Much appreciated if someone could check this for me

Tonight I will do a 50% WC and re add the salt I've taken out?

I add salt back at 0.3? That's 3 teaspoons per gallon?

Tomorrow night I will do another WC change re add salt and prazi

Just wanna make sure I've got it right in my head!

Both fish are bottom dwelling don't look very happy, I'm only feeding a few peas in the morn currently

:thanks

Edited by salvo

Hi MissColonel,

I am very worried about Mr Boff now, most of the time when I check on him he is c shaping in the corner of the tank :no: other times he is completely vertical, he still swims around periodically and bangs his wen on the tank floor, he is eating some peas I feed him in the morning.

Ranchu Arki seems fine just a bit lethargic

I feel the prazi/salt isn't working OR I left it too late :( :( is this kind of behavior unusual on the 2nd round of prazi??

The light is not the best but you get the idea

He's dying isn't he? :no:

th_mrboffissad006.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys

I never have uploaded anything on you tube but I'll give it a go

He still eating his peas :happydance perked up nicely and just swam around the tank to find them.

I saw an improvement on the 2nd day of when I first salted and used Prazi but I'm not seeing any improvement now I'M SEEING THE OPPOSITE. This makes me wonder is it parasites? I mean wouldn't there be marked signs of an improvement by now? Or am I being impatient?

King Poseidon - Swim bladder disorder may be a possibility? I will look into it