My Oranda has no sense of self preservation...

LovelyChaos

My kitten cloud will sit on the cover over Caligos qt and just paw at Caligo. Instead of getting scared and swimming away she swims right up to him! Crazy fish! She is not scared of him at all! I can't relax with them together! He is the one that would kill her if he got the chance, but she is still more scared of me than him!

My nerves are so worn :wacko:

Edited by LovelyChaos

Orandas and quite a few other types of fancies somehow seem to have lost their prey instincts. That's why it's so much easier for people to bond and hand feed them etc.

Single tails are a bit more wary.

These are generalizations, of course.

This could be "famous last words" but I do not think there is any real danger unless the fish jump out of the tank. We have had cats and fish together for 20 years and have not contributed any fish deaths to the cats.

Ignore the following if you are tired of my stories.

We had koi indoors in a collapsible kiddie pool. To get a drink the cat put its paws on the edge which pushed the side in and released a bit of water. One day the koi nibbled on the cats tongue which put an end to his drinking out of the pond. I wish I had a picture of that setup to share with you. My wife constructed a cone shapped tent with PVC pipe bracing over the pond. The koi would jump and hit the tent which acted like a spring and forced them back into the water. It was quite a rig.

This could be "famous last words" but I do not think there is any real danger unless the fish jump out of the tank. We have had cats and fish together for 20 years and have not contributed any fish deaths to the cats.

Ignore the following if you are tired of my stories.

We had koi indoors in a collapsible kiddie pool. To get a drink the cat put its paws on the edge which pushed the side in and released a bit of water. One day the koi nibbled on the cats tongue which put an end to his drinking out of the pond. I wish I had a picture of that setup to share with you. My wife constructed a cone shapped tent with PVC pipe bracing over the pond. The koi would jump and hit the tent which acted like a spring and forced them back into the water. It was quite a rig.

Hehe i can only imagine what the cat looked like being nibbled by a fish XD

I only worry because I have twice now caught the cat with his paw in the water going after her. She doesn't swim away or even nibble!

Cloud has another kitten he roughs up. (: I have 6 cats he has plenty of roughing around and play fights XD

Edited by LovelyChaos

Well it's only covered by some wood cause we have been short on money DX But we plan on getting a piece of acrylic over it soon anyways and leaving room for an opening. He was getting to it when I have it uncovered for lighting (:

One time I came downstairs and saw both of my cats sitting facing each other, about a foot apart, starting very intently at a spot on the ground between them. They looked like Sphinxes. I looked to see what they were looking at, and saw one of my hatchet fish flopping on the floor. I have no idea how long he had been there, but the cats hadn't harmed him at all, amazingly enough.