Should you always put your new fish in QT?

abcdomo

• Supporter

personally, i do a series of salt dips. qt them separately with prazi and salt at 0.3% for the first two weeks and then add them to the main where ALL the fish get treated with 0.1% salt and prazi for the next 2 to 3 weeks. (dropsy survivors are removed during the salt process).

that concludes my qt process for any new goldfish.

• Supporter

I was just wondering does everyone always QT a new fish or do you sometimes just add them to your tank?

Always QT. The first (and only) time I didn't, it was bad news. I love Stakos' method.

thanks, my lovely :heart

To put your fish in QT is very important. They can carry diseases or parasites that won't show until a few weeks after you got the fish. If you added the fish to the main tank instantly, all your fish can get ill, and if it is a more aggressive disease, it can wipe out your entire stock.

I had similar happen to me recently with angelfish, even though I did QT the new fish, I must have cross contaminated somehow. I had the two new angels for almost two weeks when they suddenly showed columnaris, same with my fish in the main tank, and 72 hours after the first sign of disease I had only one survivor out of six fish.

So yes, keeping everything separate from QT and main tank is very important too. Either disinfect the hoses etc after each use, or get an entirely new set of supplies for your QT tank.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOO agree,

Yes----always QT new fish...they may LOOK ok............................Many NEW fish have paracites and bacteria that we cannot see (until too late)

I learned this the HARD way..............added a Beautiful OB peacock to my african cichlid tank....................... :no:

I've never heard of Prazi and never have seen that in a pet store. I see something on amazon called PraziPro...4 oz for $10.59. Is that what y'all are talking about? I'm in the process of cycling my first goldfish tank...and even though there are no fish in it right now, I plan on doing a QT when I do buy the first GF.

• Supporter

I've never heard of Prazi and never have seen that in a pet store. I see something on amazon called PraziPro...4 oz for $10.59. Is that what y'all are talking about? I'm in the process of cycling my first goldfish tank...and even though there are no fish in it right now, I plan on doing a QT when I do buy the first GF.

yes, it is.. prazi is normally sold in powder form. PraziPro is liquid form and preferred as the powder is really difficult to dissolve. best of luck with the completion of the cycle :)

yes, it is.. prazi is normally sold in powder form. PraziPro is liquid form and preferred as the powder is really difficult to dissolve. best of luck with the completion of the cycle :)

Thanks stakos. I'm saving all of these little bits of info I'm picking up on this site in a Word document. Just added your quarantine procedure to it. :)

I use to just throw mine in but that was before I found this site. I was one of the few lucky ones that didn't bring home a sick fish somehow.

Now with my last one I did qt for 2 weeks with .01%salt and prazipro and was glad I did because I think she had flukes and after I put her in with the other I ended up salting at .03% for 10 days and that was it.

Edited by cmclien

personally, i do a series of salt dips. qt them separately with prazi and salt at 0.3% for the first two weeks and then add them to the main where ALL the fish get treated with 0.1% salt and prazi for the next 2 to 3 weeks. (dropsy survivors are removed during the salt process).

that concludes my qt process for any new goldfish.

I too like your idea Stakos of treating them separately and then treating them as a group. Is the prazi pro ok to use on fish then periodically? How did you come up with that method? or why should I say did you come up with that method? did you run into issues after the qt period with some of them?