Sign in to follow this  
Cezza91

Tank doesn't seem to be cycling?

My sister has a new tank set up and she is doing a cycle with fish. She has two tiny fantails, both about an inch in length. She's had the tank set up for two weeks now, and still hasn't had any readings for ammonia in the water. She uses the drop tests from API, which are reliable.

Anyone know why there doesn't seem to be any ammonia in the tank? Nitrites and nitrates are both testing 0ppm too. Is is perhaps because the fish are so small, they aren't producing much ammonia?

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

How big is the tank? How much water is she changing? With two small goldfish in a large tank, ammonia will not build up fast. If she is changing water, she might never see any ammonia. I find with one small goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and 30% daily water changes, I got no significant ammonia or nitrite readings through the cycling process.

Check that you have a fresh water test kit and it's in date - i used my marine test kits and they don't work.

My sister has a new tank set up and she is doing a cycle with fish. She has two tiny fantails, both about an inch in length. She's had the tank set up for two weeks now, and still hasn't had any readings for ammonia in the water. She uses the drop tests from API, which are reliable.

Anyone know why there doesn't seem to be any ammonia in the tank? Nitrites and nitrates are both testing 0ppm too. Is is perhaps because the fish are so small, they aren't producing much ammonia?

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

How are we doing?