Sign in to follow this  
enesta

Which gel food to buy?

Hello - I've never tried gel food before, but feel like my fish need some variety. I know Mazuri and Repashy are recommended, but there are so many variations - which one should I purchase?

Thanks

Repashy Soilent Green would be a good start :) If your fish are still growing, one of the meatier/higher protien types of Repashy would be good too. Repashy is hands down the easiest to prepare, store and feed.

I don't have any experience with Mazuri but I've been feeding Repashy Soilent Green for the past couple months. I've been thrilled with it. I no longer have floaty fishes, it's ridiculously easy to prepare, and it's easy to cut into whatever sized cubes you like. I've also noticed my fish have a much more vibrant color now. Once you prepare a batch, it can stay in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and the unprepared powder has a shelf life of 2 years :)

I third the Repashy. I've only tried soilent green but all my fish and snails loooove it!! And it's so easy to make.

Repashy Soilent Green would be a good start :) If your fish are still growing, one of the meatier/higher protien types of Repashy would be good too. Repashy is hands down the easiest to prepare, store and feed.

I use Repashy Soilent Green and love how easy it is to make, and love how the fish love it too..........

;)

Just wanted to jump in and say that Mazuri is a very good gel food. It is very easy to make. I make 1 cup of the mix to 1 cup water & then I let it sit up. I keep a small "tupperware" cup in the frig for daily feeding & the rest in the freezer. That much lasts me a good while. I haven't had any issues with the Mazuri. The 1 lb keg lasts me a LONG time!

I recent got the Rapashy Solient Green. My fish love it too & it is easy to make. I will continue to feed BOTH.

I think the fact that Repashy doesn't contain gelatine makes it more attractive to some of us. I have not used Mazuri, however it's ingredients include gelatine. As does my homemade gel food. So many of us have floaty or surface gulping fish after eating. I found on day one with Repashy, I noted no surface gulping!!

Edited by Red

Thanks to the sample of Repashy Soilent Green that I received, I have to say that this is product is amazing. It is more plant based, so if you want to add more meat to their diet I would recommend to either feed frozen foods in addition, such as blood worms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp etc, or additionally buy a small packet of Repashy Meat Pie and just switch it up with the Soilent Green.

I honestly wouldn't even doubt that you can actually mix the soilent green and meat pie dry powder at 1:1 and make gel out of it.

I just ordered the Repashy. I've used Mazuri products before with my Chinchilla, but I have one fish that has floaty problems a lot so want to avoid even the smallest chance there.

Thanks everyone

Guest Mike and Linda

I have tried repashy also. I have tried soilent grn, community plus, meat pie, and shrimp soufflé. My goldies , angels except for one, and my rummy nose all love it.

I tried gel foods with Mazuri when it first appeared on the market, but the gelatin content turned me off on it. One of the things I like best about Repashy is that 100% of the proteins (plant and animal) are digestible and nutritional. Gelatin is a protein, but it is nutritional... just a filler, and often hard to digest. I have not fed it to goldfish, but I would suspect that any fish with as long a gut as a goldfish woud struggle with too much indegestible protein.

To everyone here who have purchased their Repashy from me... Thanks! I am glad to hear that the gold fish are loving it. I work at a store where we are startingto bring in more larger fancy goldfish (the blue orandas we got last week.... wow!). They take to the Repashy first feeding. But I have to admit that I have a lot of fun feeding a tank of ryukins a brussel sprout and then cheering on the soccer game... :clapping:

FYI... all 2oz packs of Repashy will be discontinued in December. That is an introductory size for new products that Repashy sells for one year. So if you are on the fence about trying it, the 2oz sample size will not be around for ever. THe 8 oz and 32 oz of all varieties are also being discontinued... I am going to put a sale up on those sizes next week: www.tedsfishroom.com/repashy

Ted, how do you feed the sprouts? I would like to try this lol

I blanch the sprouts in a microwave so that they are soft. You can also freeze them. When they thaw the leaves will be soft (I assume that the water content of the cells expands when the leaf freezes and ruptured the cell walls).

I will carry all of the sizes of all the Repashy Superfoods, plus the color enhancer SuperPig in smaller packages (this is an excellent way to boost the red pigments in fish... just mix a little in with the Repashy Superfood of your choice while both powders are dry, them make the gel as normal). I will get the first SuperPig shipment early next week. The sizes that will be available after the discontinued items are sold out will be 4oz, 16oz and 64oz. The price point between 8oz and 16oz is so low that anyone looking at 8oz usually chooses to pay a little more 16oz. Same with the 32oz size. 32oz = $45, while a 64oz=$60. That is only $15 more for another 32oz....

Thanks, Ted, the sprout suggestion. Stay tuned for some goldfish soccer video in the near future! :rofl

I started the inventory reduction sale... Meat Pie, Shrimp Souffle, Comminuty Plus and Soilent Green. 10% off 8oz ($16.20) and 32 oz. ($36.00). Only have two 32 oz bags of each on hand. Maybe 4-6 of the 8 oz bags of each. SAles ends when the food is sold.

Stay tuned for some goldfish soccer video in the near future!

I have some little plastic soccer goals that were used as decoration on a cake. I want to make a video of a group of red cap orandas and a group of blue orandas pushing a sprout around and title it 'Man U vs. Chelsea'

Stay tuned for some goldfish soccer video in the near future!

I have some little plastic soccer goals that were used as decoration on a cake. I want to make a video of a group of red cap orandas and a group of blue orandas pushing a sprout around and title it 'Man U vs. Chelsea'

I would love to see this. Please, try to make it happen! :rofl

:clapping: Or Sheffield United V's Sheffield Wednesday! :rofl Sorry, I'm a football widow here! Sheffield United is our team! :rolleyes: (so I am told!)

Now I want to try sprouts! They might have to wait til Christmas though! :)santa