Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

What's the best siphon/gravel vac to get?

My mom agreed to get me a siphon:D so I wanted to know which is the best in your opinion.

Well, whatever you get, make sure to cover the opening to the gravel vac with some sort of mesh! My fish got caught in one and now his eye is gone. Some aren't as lucky as him. You can also use a net over the vac but it may be tricky to get all of the poop.

But definitely get one with a priming pump. I will never go back to sucking fish water again! XD

Well, whatever you get, make sure to cover the opening to the gravel vac with some sort of mesh! My fish got caught in one and now his eye is gone. Some aren't as lucky as him. You can also use a net over the vac but it may be tricky to get all of the poop.

But definitely get one with a priming pump. I will never go back to sucking fish water again! XD

Yeah I saw your post:/ is he doing better?

Edited by abcdomo

He is doing very good! I wish that I had someone give me that advice beforehand. Luckily I had just recently joined here and got a lot of good instructions for how to keep him alive. He should be going back into my main tank in a week or two (:

He is doing very good! I wish that I had someone give me that advice beforehand. Luckily I had just recently joined here and got a lot of good instructions for how to keep him alive. He should be going back into my main tank in a week or two (:

Well that's good to hear:)

I have the "Python" style changer that they sell at Walmart, and I love it! I think it is the Aqueon brand and it was like $25- hooks up to a faucet with a 25 foot hose. You turn the water on the start the siphon, and then can fill directly from the water source, as well. It comes with a "fish guard" little plastic grate end cap thingy that prevents fish from being pulled in and/or hurt by it. I would NEVER go back to the buckets again! I think you can get the Python brand named one on Amazon for $25, as well. I just got mine while I was at the store & saw it- same price, but didn't have to wait for shipping.

I use an aqueon water changer/siphon and it is fantastic! I have the fifty foot model since I have long hallways

I have a 75 foot python. I love it. I just wish the hose was wider so it would go faster.

I have the Aqueon and love it. Although, since the drought this year, my water pressure is too low to make it drain. I now drain my tanks out the windows with the Aqueon and use it from the sink to fill them. I recommend it, but be aware that it can have issues. Some members here use a pump with the hose to empty the tank and then use the hose attached to the sink for refills.

I have two Aqueon ones, an older model with bigger tubing and a newer model with slimmer tubing. Both are fantastic, and I expect to get many more years of use out of them! :)

I would also suggest the aqueon. I have one and it is wonderful.

I actually prefer buckets. You get a nice workout and it's so convenient.

LOL. Yeah, right :rofl I have a Python :) I've never had any issues with it.

How many gallons is your tank? I think anything under 15-20 gallons I would just get a gravel vac and use buckets. That's what I do with my 10 gallon betta tank. A Python/water changer would suck water out too fast. You'd have an empty tank and not have cleaned out all the gravel yet.

Having said that, I use a Python on my 40 gallon and I love it!

How many gallons is your tank? I think anything under 15-20 gallons I would just get a gravel vac and use buckets. That's what I do with my 10 gallon betta tank. A Python/water changer would suck water out too fast. You'd have an empty tank and not have cleaned out all the gravel yet.

Having said that, I use a Python on my 40 gallon and I love it!

Yeah I have a 10 gallon and was only planning on getting something to clean the gravel.:)

I would say they all work close to the same. Just get the correct size and you should be good. :)

I use a gravel vac and let it drain out the window then the bucket to refill. It takes awhile but I scrub every thing. :bye2:

Yeah I have a 10 gallon and was only planning on getting something to clean the gravel. :)

for a 10 gal tank, maybe you'll be fine with a manual gravel vac like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11123493, and the good old trusted buckets. it will give you ample time to thoroughly vacuum the gravel before the tank gets empty. hope this helps. :)

I have a 75 foot python. I love it. I just wish the hose was wider so it would go faster.

My only complaint also.... Lololoooool..

I have the aquaeon water changer but I find its suction capabilities leave a little to be desired. Its great to drain the water but for sucking up debris I usually also use a manual one with priming bulb into a bucket. I hate wasting water so I have found once the suction starts going I can turn off the tap and the siphon continues. You probably don't need one with a 10g but I found it was very useful for my 20g and now my 40g.

I have the python and it works just fine. I agree that you should make sure you get a net or find some way to cover it so your fish don't get injured. I still have to fill my tank using buckets because I must age my water before it goes into the aquarium.

One question I have is, how do people keep their pythons or aqueons clean? I run bleach water through mine and allow it to sit for awhile, but the hose is still full of nasty looking black crud.

I have the python and it works just fine. I agree that you should make sure you get a net or find some way to cover it so your fish don't get injured. I still have to fill my tank using buckets because I must age my water before it goes into the aquarium.

One question I have is, how do people keep their pythons or aqueons clean? I run bleach water through mine and allow it to sit for awhile, but the hose is still full of nasty looking black crud.

I have to age my water too so I use a submersible pump and garden hose to refill it ;) , beats buckets!

After I'm done with mine I always run tap water back through it for about 15 seconds and it still looks crystal clear.

Thats terrible! Mine didn't come with anything to cover the end, I wonder if I can order that cap someone mentioned? One time my fantail got caught up there for a few seconds and it freaked me out I ran to the tank and pulled the siphon out and he plopped out. He was ok but now I stick it straight down so it pretty much touches the floor of the aqaurium.

I have to age my water too so I use a submersible pump and garden hose to refill it ;) , beats buckets!

After I'm done with mine I always run tap water back through it for about 15 seconds and it still looks crystal clear.

Just wondering why do you guys have to age your water?

I have to age my water because the pH in my tap is quite different from the pH in my tank.