No Nitrites after 6 weeks.

kila

Hi there,

I'm having a very frustrating time cycling my new 33 gallon tank. It's been running since July 22nd with 3 goldfish and I still have no Nitrite readings.

I'm exhausted from doing water changes to keep the ammonia levels at a relatively safe level. I'm changing 70% every 2 or 3 days.

Ph: 8

Ammonia: 2 or 4 (before water change)

Nitrites : 0

Nitrates: 10 (same as tap water).

Water Temp: 76F

Filtration: I have two internal filters running. Both suitable for a 30 gallon capacity each.

Test Kit: Aquarium Pharm Master Test kit.

Any ideas, suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

Cycling with fish is bound to take longer. Usually without the fish, ammonia stays at 4ppm until nitrites appear but since this would kill fish it's counteracted with waterchanges. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but don't take my word for it until a more experienced member chimes in. Cycling can take anywhere from 60-90 days and for many people it is closer to 90.

I have done cycling with fish in and fishless. Both times it took approximately 75 days to cycle the tank, and both times I never had a nitrite spike. I went right from ammonia to nitrates. I've never been able to figure it out, the only thing I can think is it is something to do with my tap water. I also have a high pH of 8.4, but not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Sponge media in both filters. One of them also has a charcoal chamber.

I have a little cutting from a filter pad in both filters also. I took this from an established tank 4 weeks ago in the hope that it would seed it and speed things up.

I'm working in litres here but using a conversion table.... one filter is 264gph and the other one is 185gph.

Right now, the priority is to get all of that ammonia out of the tank, because that's too high, and is dangerous for the fish.

You can do this by doing two back to back 90%.

Update on parameters daily here, and let's try to work on this together.

How big are these fish? 33 gallons is small for three goldfish unless they are just babies.

What cleaning do you do of your tank and filters?

Is there any ammonia in your tap water?

What water conditioner do you use?

1 black moor - about 3 inches.

1 canary yellow comet - about 3 inches

1 red capped Oranda - about 5/6 inches.

In the past 6 weeks I've rinsed one filter out in used tank water because it was all clogged up. I left the other one be.

Ammonia in tap water - 0

Water conditioner: MultiFit.

Perhaps it would be an idea to pick up some ceramic media? It provides alot more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow, plus it will last forever unlike sponge. Certainly you could put some in the charcoal chamber, since I think charcoal isn't really necessary unless removing meds? I would be careful about removing the charcoal though since it's probably acting as media right now.

Maybe pick up some Prime/Amquel Plus as well - it will help keep those fishies safe in between water changes :)

1 black moor - about 3 inches.

1 canary yellow comet - about 3 inches

1 red capped Oranda - about 5/6 inches.

In the past 6 weeks I've rinsed one filter out in used tank water because it was all clogged up. I left the other one be.

Ammonia in tap water - 0

Water conditioner: MultiFit.

That tank is seriously overstocked, and that will only make your problem worse. I am actually going through similar issues right now, and it is enough work with one 1.5 inch fish! Do you have Seachem Prime? It gets rid of ammonia and detoxifies nitrate and nitrite, it would probably help you in addition to the water changes dnalex suggested. Once you get things sorted out, you might want to consider getting an additional tank for the 5/6 inch fish.

I really wish you the best of luck with fixing the water! Keep up the water changes :)

-Cyprinidae

Edited by Cyprinidae

Hi there, I want to chime in because my tank FINALLY cycled last week after 3 months!!! I started memorial day weekend and finished a week ago.

So it hasn't been too long. I had 2 gf in a 20g, I did daily water changes to keep the ammonia under .5. That phase took 2 months to start showing nitrites.

Once I got nitrites the highest they got was about 2.0, I did daily water changes with those too to keep the fish safe.

My daily water changes were 75%

It took about 4 weeks to go from nitrites to nitrates.

So hang in there! :wacko: You will get there.

I totally agree to add ceramic rings. I bought two small bags of ceramic rings and put two in each filter after the sponge or pad.

I rinse my sponges lightly 2x a week to get the gunk out. I don't think it made it take longer but I will never know I guess. My water would get dirty if I didn't rinse them out frequently. The rings are important because when you go to switch out a sponge or pad your cycle will stay right on target. I had to cut out a new one because one of them wasn't holding up and the bb from the other media, namely rings kept right up.

I feel your pain :thud

Aww thanks Cmclien. That makes me feel much better.

I'll get the ceramic rings tomorrow.

I've cycled 4 tanks in my time but I never had to wait this long for nitrites to show so it's good to know I'm not alone. :-)

• 4 weeks later...