Sign in to follow this  
Sharkbait3

COMET ANYONE?

Have a question, as most know I lost button out of the blue.............and now I have this 55 gal.tank with C&F,

which is ok...............but just wondering could I get one comet................(in the feeder tank) and of course QT it

properly. Could I put a comet in with C&F ?

Does anyone have single tails and double tails together? (pics) would be much appreciated,since I like to look

at others fish.....lol...............would this work ? Pro and cons welcomed .....thanks...... :D

I think you could do it, but keep in mind that the comet may outgrow that 55 gallon and need something larger!

I have 2 commons in with my 2 telescopes. They will outgrow it, but it isn't going to be too hard to track down a 115 gallon stock tub to give them their own home. If it around the same size as your fish i dont see a problem until they get bigger. Then you have to deal with food competition. The comet will be quicker than the fancies.

Fang has single tails with fancies. I think that you certainly can add a single tail to the 55 gallon without issue.

We've gone back and forth about how much water single tails versus fancies need, and I tend to agree with shakaho and Fang. There is no way most single tails will be able to get to the weight of some of these fancies. Take Helen's and Fede's fish for example. Some of these are 200-300 grams, while Fang's Hugo, while very long, is more lean, and I doubt even weighs 100 grams. So, I think that it's more appropriate to say that each goldfish needs at least 15 gallons, while larger fancies will need 20+ gallons. In terms of swimming space, a 55 gallon is plenty long for one single tail. :)

Fang has single tails with fancies. I think that you certainly can add a single tail to the 55 gallon without issue.

We've gone back and forth about how much water single tails versus fancies need, and I tend to agree with shakaho and Fang. There is no way most single tails will be able to get to the weight of some of these fancies. Take Helen's and Fede's fish for example. Some of these are 200-300 grams, while Fang's Hugo, while very long, is more lean, and I doubt even weighs 100 grams. So, I think that it's more appropriate to say that each goldfish needs at least 15 gallons, while larger fancies will need 20+ gallons. In terms of swimming space, a 55 gallon is plenty long for one single tail. :)

thank you Alex~~~

then I shall try ONE comet with C&F.................you just made my day............now if I can get Tim to go along with this !!..... :D

This! Although it is also dependent on the individual fish. I've seen some single tails that can barely turn around in a 55. Width is something to take into consideration when dealing with single tails.

Although it is also dependent on the individual fish. I've seen some single tails that can barely turn around in a 55. Width is something to take into consideration when dealing with single tails.

Agreed. The same is true with fancies. Some of them get humongous, while most don't ever quite reach such stature :)

Just one of those things you deal with if it occurs! :) Although I'd never object to a goldfish that got too big! :rofl

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

I do not believe a pond-type goldfish exists that couldn't turn around in a 55 gallon tank. These fish can bend into a U-shape and squeeze through spaces you know they can't get through. I can catch any fancy I have in a maximum of two dips. I have spent more than a half hour chasing one comet around a small pond. With a rectangular net, and the fish in the corner-- you've got him! -- and he's on the other end of the pond still free. Have you seen the trick goldfish, Comet, doing the limbo? and slaloms?

Fancies need a bigger turning radius since they are not so flexible as the thinner bodied fish. My veiltail nymph, Hoover, did gymnastics turning around in a 20 gallon hospital tank when he was ill.

Yep, in fact she weighs less than 70 grams although 10" total length. I could still not imagine keeping her in a 20 gallon tall tank, even as the only fish. Definitely not enough room to move around for her, while a fat fancy of similar weight would probably do just fine with 24" tank length.