Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Rapashy= loss of color in black

I have been feeding my fish Rapashi for about 7 weeks now---1 batch lasts about 4-5 days,and I've gone back and forth(2 weeks at a time)between Soilent Green and Community. My 1 black Veil in my 170 has totally started losing his black :yikes:help: He's not even changing from black to red ------> he's just losing the black and underneath is a very funky(and ugly)gold color :help: It's def NOT something I want to continue or maintain! I'm thinking I need to start making some gel food again. Anyone else have this experience?

NOTE: I have several small blacks that are doing fine---> but they are getting the Growth Formula.

I'm not sure that soilent green is to blame. My black moor and panda are still the same, black color wise.

Don't forget that black is extremely unstable. The fish may have already been undergoing the color loss anyway.

Also, even if I do lose some black, I won't go back to making gel food. I don't think it's as good as this.

I've got to do some research on what I can do/add to beef up his black. I've thought about putting him outside in a tub-but not sure I want to maintain another tub at this point. This particular fish has a red mark on his head and his upper lip----> but this is not red--->it's very nondescript,and most definitely started on the heels of the food change.

I've got to do some research on what I can do/add to beef up his black. I've thought about putting him outside in a tub-but not sure I want to maintain another tub at this point. This particular fish has a red mark on his head and his upper lip----> but this is not red--->it's very nondescript,and most definitely started on the heels of the food change.

I've never heard of food that can cause color loss.

Nevertheless, if I have to choose between a fish changing color versus one with floaty issues, I would not hesitate for a millisecond in picking color change. That's just me, though. It's part of the fun of keeping goldfish. Even my ugly ducklings are gorgeous :)

Unfortunately once goldfish go it's not always food related. I mean food could've been a catalyst but most fish don't hold their black forever and all the sun in the world wont keep black if the genes of the fish are saying CHANGE!

Unfortunately once goldfish go it's not always food related. I mean food could've been a catalyst but most fish don't hold their black forever and all the sun in the world wont keep black if the genes of the fish are saying CHANGE!

This is true. Losing the black color comes from the loss of melanophores through programmed cell death. Once gone, there is no coming back.

Susan, this is why I puzzle over why soilent green would be able to do this, and I don't think it can. :(

I've been feeding it for about a month and my Moor is as black as ever. It's the fantail who's started going white.

I know it can increase the prevalence of yellows, but that is completely unrelated to black loss and gain as that's more decided by genetics and then influenced by factors such as light and temperature. Think of it as a baby fawn growing into it's adult coat, nothing you can do will bring back it's fawn spots as they were genetically pre-dispositioned to fade at a certain point in time. For some fish that moment in time never comes and apoptosis never occurs to remove the melanophores, but in many it does, and it normally can't be predicted or regulated once it has begun.

My blackmoor is still jet black. And he has been on only soilent green because of the other floaters in the tank.

Susan, I would never mind the color change and keep feeding the Repashy. Sometimes fish go through an ugly or awkward-looking stage on their way to another color. Maybe that's what your fish is going through.

Susan, I would never mind the color change and keep feeding the Repashy. Sometimes fish go through an ugly or awkward-looking stage on their way to another color. Maybe that's what your fish is going through.

Exactly. And from what I see, many others have seen an improvement in the color of their orange based goldfish, so the currently funky color from the transition might turn into a gorgeous gold :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Caldwell is going thru a color change, and I do not believe it has ANYTHING to do with the Repashy gel food............Like others have stated, black on a very unstable color...............my moor was NEVER the velvety black to begin with, he had light brown highlights, so I knew he probably NOT retain the black.

my fish get PROGOLD (which I love also) !!!

The gel they do not get everyday..............and he (the moor) is still changing colors.............. :D

I've often heard here that "goldfish are like a box of chocolate ;) you never know what you'll get ;)" I look forward to my goldfish changing but they're mostly red already so I think that's what I'll get ;) can we see a pic of your changling please :)

I've often heard here that "goldfish are like a box of chocolate ;) you never know what you'll get ;)" I look forward to my goldfish changing but they're mostly red already so I think that's what I'll get ;) can we see a pic of your changling please :)

My favorite Mr.D quote :D

I am certainly aware that black is an unstable color----> I just have not known any fish in this line to have gone gold or red,so it's very much a surprise. I also have other black fish eating Rapashy and they have thus far retained their black. I read in 1 book today that of the basic gf colors-black,red,and yellow-the black and yellow pigments are allergic to the red and a few of the red will spread until until the black is excluded,leaving a red fish :hummm . Only time will tell.............In the meantime,I will still order more Rapashy-it's just too convenient-and may make some modifications with time.Shell,I'll get pics of the fish this week ;)

I am certainly aware that black is an unstable color----> I just have not known any fish in this line to have gone gold or red,so it's very much a surprise. I also have other black fish eating Rapashy and they have thus far retained their black. I read in 1 book today that of the basic gf colors-black,red,and yellow-the black and yellow pigments are allergic to the red and a few of the red will spread until until the black is excluded,leaving a red fish :hummm . Only time will tell.............In the meantime,I will still order more Rapashy-it's just too convenient-and may make some modifications with time.Shell,I'll get pics of the fish this week ;)

Where did you read this from, Susan? I would love to read more on it. Thanks.

Where did you read this from, Susan? I would love to read more on it. Thanks.

The book is "Goldfish Guide" by Dr.Yoshiichi Matsui and Dr Herbert R. Axelrod-pp. 273. This book does not go into a lot of detail(on most things),but was recommended to me by a Breeder who said it's got some good info.

Thank you! I will see if I can find a copy of it! :)