Sign in to follow this  
number20121

My final Soilent Green review

This is going to be the review that I will be sending to Allen Repashy as well.

I have been using this product for close to a week now and I am very happy with it.

I use it to feed all of my aquatic animals, but my main focus is my goldfish of which I have several with food related floating issues and so I was looking for a food that will not basically glue these guys to the surface belly up. These fish get floaty after each meal and almost every type of food I am feeding them, except for most plain cooked vegetables.

Pellets (and I tried several brands such as Omega One, Hikari, Aqueon, Nutrafin, Top Fin) would cause the worst problems.

Frozen foods like blood worms, brine shrimp etc as well as home made gel food often cause issues like this too, although not quite as severe as it was with pellets.

When feeding Soilent Green to these floaters, the floating is much less severe than with the other foods. On a scale from 1 to 10 - with 10 being the fish flipped over after eating like they used to when eating pellets, the Soilent Green only scores a 3, meaning the floating is significantly reduced to light buoyancy issues. No one stuck to the surface, no one unable to swim to the bottom of the tank, and especially no one flipping over.

I have started to add probiotics to the Soilent Green mix though and this will hopefully decrease the problems even more over time.

My tropical fish like this food a lot too. I keep angelfish, a common pleco, a betta, corydoras, otocinclus, platies and a variety of tetras, as well as mystery snails, trumpet snails and African dwarf frogs, and all of them enjoy this food. The angelfish is probably the most picky but even he will nibble on it.

I use the Soilent Green as one of the two daily meals for these fish.

The betta and African dwarf frogs do not get this as staple food (I assume the Meat Pie variety would be great for them though), but once every other days they get a few small pieces fed and really seem to enjoy it.

I also love how easy the preparation is, as well as the perfect consistency of the settled gel. It settles very quickly at room temperature and can be cut into tiniest pieces without being messy. It also is easy to add a few small ingredients in (like in my case the probiotics).

I will absolutely make this the new staple food for my fish, and would absolutely recommend this to everyone else, especially to owners of fish with food related buoyancy issues.

Thanks for sharing Fang, I'd really like to try this. Did you notice any extra growth or behavioral changes with this food?

I have only been feeding it for about one week, so I can't really say much about effects caused by long term use. But alone the fact that the floating was significantly decreased in my problem fish really made me love this stuff. :)

5 out of my 12 fish have more or less floating problems. Some just slightly, others to the point that after they eat they flip over and can barely get to the bottom of the tank.

Woot! Go, Fang! :)

That was lovely Fang :D I have noticed with Castor, his floaty is well under control and is starting a color change and the yellow orange on him is deffinately brighter ;) I should be sending my review very soon to Allan :D

Thanks for the follow up on this food :)

I am getting super excited to try this as my new staple food :)

How wonderful that it is working so well on your floaters! Great review. Thanks!