Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Does Brian seem off? Or am I getting paranoid!?

Sadly, no all 3 of my fish that have had their issues (brian, toby, greg) all came from 3 different stores. So it must be something in my tank.

So I have the 2 sinkers in my 55g and 3 perfectly healthy orandas in the 30g. I have been waiting for brians final "diagnosis" before I moved them around but now it makes sense to have those 2 in the 30g. Any advice on anything I should do before adding the 3 healthy ones to the deadly large tank? Should I break it down and totally clean it as much as I can? Keep in mind, it will be tough to do because of having to let the water sit for a couple days for the ph to go down.

Edited by Thea

I think that as long as you just give everything a good rinsing with tank water, it should be OK. It does make sense to switch the other two into the 30. :)

Most sinkers start off as floaters, and in many cases the floater will eventually succumb to an illness caused by a weakened immune system and constant exposure to the air (leads to more irriation/ulcers which lead to infections) or they tend to make it to the point where they eventually sink. It could be possible that there was something in your tank that your fish fought off but it ended up damaging their swim bladders permanently. Were they all ever housed together and what was the length of time each has been a floater or sinker? It's a really crappy situation but with fancies SBD is just part of the game, some people get really lucky and never have problems, and some people just get fish that already have damage or deformation. Unfortunately we can't always tell in store and the damage might not be apparent until months or years later when age or a minor infection or illness send the fis over the edge. You really care about your fish, and have gone above and beyond what most fish owners would do, so please don't beat yourself up over it. :heart

Thank you! I was sad to see you lost yours :(

Oddly enough, neither one of them were ever floaters. They have been in the same tank together for over 2 years now and my first one has been like that for 1.5 years now. Brian was such a healthy boy for almost 3 years until last month :( Hard to say when he became a sinker but I havent seen him swim for a couple weeks now. Aghhh, its not even that they are sinkers but they are on their sides too which makes it SO much harder.

It's especially hard when they go on their side :c After trying so many things with Glados I'll probably just euth any sinkers that go on their sides, as sad as it sounds. I'm not suggesting you do that! I just don't think I could go through it again.

Understandable.... I have gone back and forth with it but I worry Id regret it! Though I still think about it from time to time because quality of life is little to none :(

Hey alex,

So I was thinking and thought I would double check.... I wasnt living at my apartment for a few weeks so Brian did not get nearly as much MM as he should have.... do you think it would be pointless to give it another shot now that I am back there again to give him a good dose for a week or do you think it is too late anyway?

I feel terrible that I wasnt able to administer a good amount but with the circumstances, it was just impossible :(

Hey Thea,

I definitely would not blame yourself, because I don't think anything would have changed with more MMs given before. The reason I say this is that if MMs had any effect, then we might have concluded that it was because there just wasn't enough medicated food being fed. However, since there wasn't any discernible changes, I don't think the MMs did anything :(

Thea I am so sorry about all of this :( I just caught up on your thread now, and man, this situation just sucks. It sucks so much when nothing is helping at all. Please don't beat yourself up though! You tried your best :heart

Thanks Haley, that means a lot to me!

And I am feeling ok over all about it. It hasnt been as exhausting as everything I went through with Greg but it sucked that Brians issues literally started right after Gregs 3 month battle he lost. And Brians was probably almost 3 months too. I feel better that me not giving him enough medicine wasnt the reason it all failed. It was such bad timing with stuff going on in my life and I just couldnt get there enough to help him.

And thanks for everything to everyone! Especially Alex!!!