Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Does Brian seem off? Or am I getting paranoid!?

You think he is going to die soon? :(

Like he is not going to make it? What do you think is wrong with him!?

There is nothing I can do?

Edited by Thea

Im sorry those were stupid questions.... You just told me. GAHHHH. What the heck? I didnt realize he was that bad....

I seriously am so sick of all this, I cant even handle it

I'm so sorry, Thea. *Hugs*

I don't know what's wrong with him; I just know that when he's like that, he is slowly leaving :(

I'm sure this is just coincidence, but it is a bit striking and had stuck in my mind for some time. I had what once was a blue oranda. Then, one day he started losing all his color, and the process continued for weeks, until he became all white one day. The day after that he passed away, without any other signs or symptoms :/

Hmm that is odd. Blah, I just hate this. I dont even know what to think or say.... He has swam around a little bit since

I just left since there isnt much I can do for him and I didnt want to watch it. So now I am just holding and keeping my chicken comfortable and hoping she pulls through :cry1

I'll be thinking of Brian and sending him healing vibes.

He is still breathing this morning which is hard, I just want him to pass fast. Poor thing.

I cant believe I am about to lose my baby, my favorite little guy :cry

I attempted to say goodbye to him last night, I just wanted to hold him one last time and he starting sucking on my fingers :( So I gave him some food and he ate it and immediately went to his "death spot". He was still with me this morning but looked terrible. I called my boyfriend just now and he said he was swimming when he got home but went back under that plant

Keep him comfortable. It could very well be that he will recover, but there isn't much that we can do to help, other than super clean water and a stress free environment.

Hang in there, Thea.

I understand.

Do you suggest that I get a bin for him to age water for extra clean water or will that just stress him out? It has been maybe 5 days since I changed his water.

Thank you

The bin is the best option! :)

Oh, no. What happened? I'm so sorry :(

I dont even know. I noticed she was sick yesterday (just like I just noticed Brian) and she went down hill so fast. She was all puffed up, wouldnt move much and just was clearly sick. She seemed just miserable. I held her for a few hours last night and I knew she was sick but I didnt know she would die this fast. I held her upside down this morning because her crop felt really mushy and a bunch of brown liquid came pouring out. I went to work and came home and she was dead. My parents, who know nothing about chickens, were kind enough to recognize she was sliding down hill and thought maybe she was eggbound so they gave her a warm bath and my dad said she was calm, relaxed and her eyes closed then seemed like she wanted to get out so he lifted her up and she died.

I buried her and I hope I dont regret not sending her in for a necropsy. Chicken forum thinks a bacterial infection as a bunch of stuff passed through her after she died. She came from a hatchery and they are prone to reproductive issues like eggbound and internal laying.

This has been the worst past few months. I am hoping Stephanie heals fast, she is the one with the leg infection. I got antibiotics and pain meds from a vet so I am hopeful.

I honestly havent even been to my apartment to check on Brian. As of 4 hours ago he was still breathing but the same. I hope you dont think I am terrible for not going and checking on him but I feel like its out of my control. And honestly, I am absolutely crushed over Debbie :( I dont even feel sane enough to drive over there because I am just in so much shock that all of this is happening. She was by far my favorite little one.

I am assuming he is no longer or somewhat close. Two animals in one day, I just cannot handle it anymore.

Edited by Thea

Thea I am soo sorry :( Just out of curiousity what is your set up for your chickens is it possible from the bedding? I know my sister and her 5 sweet hens became ill last year and 2 of them just died. She then found out it was some baceria in the bedding or lack of how she put it since apparently some gross bugs help rid the bad ones. I also don't think you are horrible for not stopping back :hug these things really are out of are control and you have already have everything set for him to be comfortable :heart

Thea, I don't think that you are terrible at all. I would have done the same thing as you are doing, which is to help Brian be as comfortable as he can be. That's all you can do.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, things will be ok. For better or for worse, hang in there!

Thea I am soo sorry :( Just out of curiousity what is your set up for your chickens is it possible from the bedding? I know my sister and her 5 sweet hens became ill last year and 2 of them just died. She then found out it was some baceria in the bedding or lack of how she put it since apparently some gross bugs help rid the bad ones. I also don't think you are horrible for not stopping back :hug these things really are out of are control and you have already have everything set for him to be comfortable :heart

I have worried about this too! I talked to the vet about this the other day because we did a poop test on the one that is still alive and she had some coccidiosis, not a lot, but some. This is contagious so this could be what caused it but I never found any blood in any poop around which is a common sign of it. Even if it wasnt what killed her, I still worry about it. My coop has pine shavings that I change out often but my run is what I worry about. It is all dirt and the poop/bacteria mixes in almost instantly so it is hard to control. Thanks for the advice :) Tell your sister I am sorry for her losses, and I clearly know how hard it is

Thanks everyone for your wishes. I appreciate, it is just a tough time with losing all these animals lately. And a job I absolutely hate!!!!!! :P

RIP sweet girl

5325516_zpse8d6ab1e.jpg

5325517_zps3c7ef21d.jpg

Edited by Thea

I would recommend maybe doing a good cleaning of the run and then maybe add hay or pine shavings also add the mite dust ( I think that is what it is) I helped my sister with the chickens but not too much on reading excatly what she put in there. Actually she is a memember of the chicken forum you are on but I don't think she really is that active anymore since they just moved to a nice small farm house with a baby due tomorrow and new baby chicks at the end of october since she had to sell hers during the move and misses having them. If you want I will maybe have her take a look at your thread on there or have me PM you through here with some suggestion since she used to be a vet assitant and well she understands chickens and treatments way more than me :rofl

Debbie was gorgeous R.I.P :(

Edited by MissColonel

My bf has been keeping an eye out on Brian while I stay at my parents. I just dont want to watch it go on, too much right now. Around supper, he told me he looked not so good and only his eyes were moving slightly. An hour ago he mentioned he helped him out of the plant (though Idk why since thats where he has been the past few days because it is comfortable) he said he was swimming around since then. Just an update I guess.

I hate to ask, but it seems to help ease my mind if I have somewhat of an idea what is happening. What do you think is wrong with him? I understand you dont know, but just wondering if you had any idea. I just cant stop wondering myself....

I apologize for my posts as they dont really have anything to add or even a purpose at all. I guess I am just having a really hard time grieving through all of this. No one I know understands how I can feel so much for just animals so sometimes, I think this is an easy place for me to talk about it :unsure:

Miss Colonel- Yeah, she definitely can take a look if she has the time! I am not sure how much she will be able to know because it honestly happened so fast that there isnt much of a convo to the thread besides the basics. Keep in mind that the thread started about a totally different chicken and towards the end I started to ask "hey, my other chicken is acting sick. What's up" So I only start to mention the one that passed at the end of it. :( Dont let her feel obligated to look because I understand she must be busy!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708850/mysterious-painful-leg

Thea, you have nothing to apologize for. The posts here are meant to both to be helpful in terms of taking action, when possible, and also as a way for us to communicate and to share thoughts and concerns about the sick fish.

I think what had happened is that he was really stressed and sick from something in the water. It could be the pH changes. So, there isn't much we can do in terms of medication, because I do not think he is harboring an infection. He just needs good clean water :)

I'm still crossing my fins for him!

:( Thea I'm so sorry you're going through all this right now, it's a lot to deal with. We're always here to listen and support even if you just need to talk it out. I know how hard it is to lose an animal you love. Hang in there.

thank you!

I put him in 2 gallons of distilled water hoping it will help. He looks the same though. Did I read somewhere that distilled water is also missing some necessary minerals or something that are good for fish? I will age some normal water if he makes it longer but I wanted to at least get him in some clean water.

I do fear I caused more stress because it was colder than the tank water. I tested it and it seemed ok finger wise but after I transferred him and had my whole hand in, I did notice the difference. A difference large enough where I worry.