Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Does Brian seem off? Or am I getting paranoid!?

I dont know if I am paranoid but he is just acting goofy the past few days. Curious if you guys think this is normal

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): >.25
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): .25-.5
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 9+
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 3 AQ 70s
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime and seachem ph stuff
  • * Water temperature? 68
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 70% weekly unless ammonia starts show, more often

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago 95%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50g 2 years
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? pellets, BW, peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? salt (tobys issues from sling)
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Never has had an issue
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? see vid
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. salt and prazi when needed (not often)
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Youll notice at about 10 seconds..... he just sits at the top and spins and spins. He does it all day for the past 2 days. I tried peas last night and no change. Fasting him now.

Thoughts?

Guest Jessie

Hmm... I dont knoww... I will try to get help. Lol, he must be dizzy! Maybey drop some food in, and he'll quit it out. And are you watching that remake cooking show thing!?! I love that show!

Guest Jessie

Whoops! Just read that you fed him, i thought this only went on for a few minutes....

Jessie, please do read the entire post carefully before making comments in the D&D threads. Also, no offense intended, but I really think it best to read & learn if you do not have any/enough experience in this regard. This forum is fantastic in that it has a large number of people with a lot of years of experience, and Koko makes a point of selecting the mod team to either be able to assist themselves, or to recruit the appropriate help. The more experienced members will also weigh in. :)

So, these threads are great learning opportunities, if you make it so.

Sorry for the little mini-speech, Thea.

Anyway, is he able to get to the bottom at all? It doesn't sound like normal gassiness/bloat to me, because he is not butt up, and isn't sticking to the water surface. He is being spun around because your water current seems to be going that way.

Fasting is a good idea for the moment. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to colander him for a little bit, to prevent him being pulled to one of the intakes.

Yeah he can get to the bottom but I think it may look harder than usual for him to. Intakes shouldnt be a problem because they are far from him unless you think I shouldnt risk it. I have noticed him yawn a bit lately.... Do you suggest I prazi? The last time I did was when Greg relapsed maybe a month ago. I think my fluke numbers raise quickly from the history I have seen of it.

Once again, I may be paranoid but he seems a little buggy eyed. But no fluid around them? This is really not a for sure thing, I honestly am becoming crazy of these fish.

Its not the salt with the small amount of ammonia causing it, is it? I only went to .1 or .01 whatever it is so there isnt too much

Your pH makes that amount of ammonia a non-issue.

I would like for you to do a general check up for me, please. This includes checking to see if he is excessively slimy (or not at all), check gills, check vent, and check belly.

Everything seems ok except I didnt feel much of any slime coat.

That little bulge on the side of the body may be a little more prominent, would that mean hes got a bunch of food that he needs to get out?

Also the tip of his tail fin, just a couple mm is bright red. He has not had any veiny fins like he had for a couple months, they are all white except the very end is very red. Not sure if its anything though...

Edited by Thea

For now, fasting is a good idea.

I think Prazi + salt is a good idea as well. How many rounds did you do last time?

I think 4 or 5, I honestly cant even remember. I am hoping this is nothing, I finally got up the guts to get 2 new chickens and picking them up tomorrow! I am going to be occupied breaking up fights this weekend on the other side of town :popcorn

I don't have anything to add in terms of help. But I wanted to say that you are not paranoid. Whenever one of my goldies acted like that, it was because the goldie was "off".

Thanks for the reassurance. He still is just twirling away, hopefully he looks good in the AM. I put in PP tonight and continue to fast him. I think after his tank mate sank, he has been bored or something. He used to be more active, swimming back and forth all the time but the past year he just stays on the same side of the tank and doesnt swim like he used to. Its frustrating but there has never been anything else that concerned me so there wasnt much I could do.

I keep thinking he looks more buggy eyed than usual but there is no fluid at all around them so I think it may just look that way since his wen is turning white. Is there anything else that would cause than besides popeye?

I'm not sure...I do agree with Ashlee18 completely that when they are listless like that, something is off. However, that's the equivalent of us feeling badly, and it could be any number of things. So, we just have to try to tease this out, and salt + Prazi and fasting is a good place to start.

Ok sounds good, I will update if there is updates :)

Thanks

No offense, But I was hoping I wouldnt have to post here for awhile= sick fish :P

Jessie, please do read the entire post carefully before making comments in the D&D threads. Also, no offense intended, but I really think it best to read & learn if you do not have any/enough experience in this regard. This forum is fantastic in that it has a large number of people with a lot of years of experience, and Koko makes a point of selecting the mod team to either be able to assist themselves, or to recruit the appropriate help. The more experienced members will also weigh in. :)

So, these threads are great learning opportunities, if you make it so.

Please be easy on her, Alex. :) She's just one of our newest members, right? She doesn't know much about the hierarchy of the forum. She just shared her personal opinion and aren't we free enough in this forum to do so? :)

Take it easy Alex! :) We all make mistakes.

Edited by bagho

Wishing the very best for your Brian. Hope he'll be okay very soon. :) All the best! :)

Good Morning

Quick update on Brian. He isnt at the top anymore but he still seems kind of out of it. Not a normal fish behavior. I also noticed his dorsal fin is red all of a sudden, along where it is attached or his spine area seems kind of pink too. I am not sure if the back is lighting or just his natural skin color under the scales.

I dont know if is anything but it seems in the past so much of the stuff I thought was the least crucial got ugly and the ugly things actually were normal. Soooo better safe than sorry!

IMG_7874.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

IMG_7887.jpg

Do you like his wen change?!

Also to to Jessie/Bagho, I think opinions are welcome everywhere on the forum except the diagnose/disease section. The wrong opinion or advice could be life and death so we like to leave it to the experts :)

I LOVE his wen change.

When you get a moment, will you upload a video of Brian? I would like to see how he is swimming etc.

There is a definite pink cast to him, which I do not like. For now, let's salt the tank to 0.1%, and then we go from there, OK? :)

I put in salt and prazi pro last night before bed

Sorry I took it from my couch so I could record the true him because he seems to act a little different when he can see me. So its shakey and the coloring is weird

How is his appetite? He is doing a bit better today it seems, and doesn't seem to be letting the currents push him around as much.

I would go ahead and raise salt to 0.2% at your convenience. I think we are partly on the right track :)

Sorry if this was asked before hun.... :(

Your Ph out of the tap is 9, do you let it set out so that it drops?

Is there anyway to baffle the out take of your filter for now, give him less current.

Color change like that is due to stress. I have seen it before over the years, kinda like humans can get a big gray streak in there hair...

I think your in good hands for Brian's care above :)

so I just want to offer you my prayers for im to start feeling better ;)

also could the pink on his back be from the time spent on the surface over night? maybe a rest in a colander will help? just an idea ;)

Alex, for the past 6 months-12 months.... he doesnt eat like a typical goldfish, he doesnt get that excited attitude like my 3 orandas in another tank where you think they might die if they dont get food in 1.2 seconds. He doesnt get them as the fall, he almost seems blind because he'll kind of go after them but he misses them by a good few inches. Hard to explain, he maybe goes down eventually and I'll see him eat but not like your typical goldy.

Koko, I am so frustrated with my tap water! It used to be 7.2-7.4 until a couple months ago. I found out it changed the hard way! When I do my water changes, I move them to my bucket and drain the water maybe 60-70% then fill it back up, add my seachem powder that neutralizes it (it tests 7.2 so hopefully it's right) and then I let it sit for 10-15 minutes for my filters to really mix it up then I add them back it. They seem to act normal and I havent seen any affects on my other tank so I hope it's ok.

I suppose I could turn off ones of the filters. I have them on the slow setting but I can move the media to another then turn one off. I have had major cycle issues since I started it up 2 years ago so do you think I should risk it if I am adding more salt? It doesnt seem to be bothering him now, he moved to the side of the tank where there is only 1 filter vs 2 on the other side.

Oh I just saw the stress comment, My poor baby... God I hope this isnt what made Greg sick :blink:

Edited by Thea

Hun is there any way to use a Big Trash can (safe for fish), fill it with tap water (24 hours before a water change) place your ph down in it with a air stone.... We do this in the SW world... Im wondering if this way would be alot safer to maintain. Im worried about that ph....

I could but I live in an apartment with a crazy landlord so it makes me a bit nervous. He hates animals, especially cats, and he keeps commenting on how I shouldnt have a tank.

OH and he comes in unannounced ALL the time so I'd be nervous if he saw that ... Hes scary :(

His dorsal fin is turning more red!

IMG_7892.jpg

IMG_7893.jpg

Thea, I opened a discussion with the mod team on this case earlier, and there was a suggestion that Brian could benefit from a course of MMs, since it looks like there is a bacterial infection ongoing. (It could be from stress, as Koko had observed.)

Do you have enough MMs left for him? Once you start, you can withdraw salt completely from the system after 2-3 days of MMs.