My salt water "tank"

Hidr

Had it since December and still doing great. Got a little algae growing but don't like to hold it to long cause that makes the temp go up so I just do a little at a time. Yes all that noise is my house. Window air unit and the birds.

Some sort of salt water shrimp. Hmmm I thought you could tell what they are. Guess I need to work on a better film. I know what they are so can see it. Can't seem to sharpen the picture enough.

Edited by Hidr

• Admin

I have one in my home.. I got it for TD about 5 years ago. Sadly the shrimps are all gone, but there are some really small looking white things in there... :)

Had it since December and still doing great. Got a little algae growing but don't like to hold it to long cause that makes the temp go up so I just do a little at a time. Yes all that noise is my house. Window air unit and the birds.

How cool is that ?.................If you don't me copying could you tell me how to set up something like this................This I could do !!!

PS. and what is WRONG with your house sounding like a pet store ?.................. :rofl

Edited by Sharkbait3

LOL I love my zoo.

Very easy to set up. Just order and take out of box. lol

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

They can last 3 to 7 years.

KOKO did you know you can get them refilled for about 35 bucks?

Edited by Hidr

No they eat what is in the sphere. The only thing you have to do is make sure it stays between 60-80 degrees and it gets just enough light but not to much.

You can get different shapes and sizes. I really would love a big one if this one last as long as it should I might do that in a few years.

I am very glad yours is doing so well!

But I must admit I am semi-disgusted to see these advertised as lasting '3 to 5 years' when these are shrimp that have the capability of living so much longer.

I was doing research and I think anyone considering buying one of these should read this excellent review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2A9UUSB2G2B0R/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005J0V33E&nodeID=2619533011&store=pet-supplies

because it really gathers up all the information I was able to find, as well in a nice, neat review for people to read. And it's all very much true.

:(:cry1

Sorry. :C

I was inclined to think they were okay, too. But according to further research I have done these shrimp can live to be TWENTY years old, not only ten. And Kokos is here for the betterment of fish and other aquatic critters. I think it's good to know.

You could set up a little tank for them like the poster did for hers, perhaps? :c They are supposedly very popular in hawaii for how easy they are to keep. 'hardy and long lived' is how they're regarded. They even readily breed.

Here's a wikipedia page on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halocaridina_rubra