Sign in to follow this  
Rouen

Shubunkin or comet?

I work at a big chain pet store and noticed that the newest shipment of small feeder goldfish had a lot of very young 1/4" fish. Since Baloo and Casper didn't make it I decided to buy 3 of the little guys. I am hoping at least one survives.

The healthiest of the 3 has a long caudal fin and appears to be calico. They're in QT being medicated with Lifeguard(any other suggestions, two have flashed, one isn't extending his dorsal fin and the other is clamped but active?)<- maybe thats another topic.

So here's the possible shubunkin.

golds017.jpg

The other two I think it's too early to determine if they're commons or comets.

golds013.jpg

The first one is a shubunkin with comet tail. Shubunkin is the term which describes the calico pattern in a single-tail goldfish.

Shubunkins can have the common (short, Hibuna tail) tail. These are called London shubunkins. They can also have a fancy, very large and rounded comet tail, which are called Bristol shubunkins. The last category are shubunkins with typical comet tails.

:)

Shubunkin is the term which describes the calico pattern in a single-tail goldfish

So is shubunkin a breed or just a variety of comet/common? I've read they tend to be smaller than commons and comets and stay more streamline where commons tend to get bulky.

They are a breed of their own, with very exacting standards, actually.

Thanks.

Since I scooped him out of a feeder tank I doubt he'll meet those standards. I'm sure if he survives he'll be a good looking fish anyway.

The first one is a shubunkin with comet tail. Shubunkin is the term which describes the calico pattern in a single-tail goldfish.

Shubunkins can have the common (short, Hibuna tail) tail. These are called London shubunkins. They can also have a fancy, very large and rounded comet tail, which are called Bristol shubunkins. The last category are shubunkins with typical comet tails.

:)

WOW, it's true, Learn something new everyday... :clapping:

thank you Alex for this info..............so simply put too..............I feel so smart....................

I am not sure though if I actually see calico pattern, or the baby green/black disappearing. Having had comet x shubunkin fry myself, I have seen this happening. They could turn out to be comets. One of my fry looked very similar to yours, and now she's an orange and white comet :)

Either way, yours are gorgeous.

These feeder fish are actually hardier than you think. I would not actually medicate them, but keep them in a fully cycled tank with frequent water changes, salt to 0.2% and treat with prazi for flukes.

You might even end up having all three of them survive. :)

This is the last edit of my post, I promise! :rofl

But what is that fish to the top right in the first picture? Maybe it's just his pose, but he looks like a blood parrot or a yellow oscar?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I agree with Fang. Shubbies typically color very early, often less than 1/2 inch total length. They are easy to spot in a group of fry, since they quickly get orange on them. The other colors develop later. This looks more like a comet in the earliest stages of coloring, but to picture isn't quite clear enough to be sure.

I don't know the exact definition of shubunkin. Genetically, they are nacreous - having both metallic and matte scales. Usually they are calico, and must be multicolored to meet show standards. Commons/comets are all metallic. I have some nacreous fish that are orange and white. The orange is mostly matte (flat) with sparkling metallic scales scattered through it. Definitely not a comet, so I consider them shubunkin. Is yours like that, Fang?

I agree with Alex that the Bristol Shubunkin is a separate "breed." But the "regular" shubunkin is a nacreous/calico comet and the London shubunkin is a nacreous/calico common.

Shakaho, Joseph Smartt listed the shubunkin as a separate breed of goldfish in his goldfish genetics book.

http://www.kokosgold.../Shubunkin.html

Slender in body like the comets and commons, but should show in color the violet, red, orange, yellow and with spots of black (calico colors). Also these colors should run into the fins too.There is 2 different kinds of this fish London and Bristols.

But what is that fish to the top right in the first picture? Maybe it's just his pose, but he looks like a blood parrot or a yellow oscar?

Thats a platy. :D

She's in there to help show them the food and she's the permanent resident of the QT tank.

You dont think the clamped fins could be from bacterial/fungal infection?

I'd like to see them all live but I've learned not to hold my breath with fish from the store. :no:

Clamped fins are classic signs of external parasites, such as flukes, or bad water quality.

Clamped fins are classic signs of external parasites, such as flukes, or bad water quality.

I know my water is good, and they were like that when I netted them at the store, so I don't think it's environmental. The lifeguard is supposed to treat parasites, and I'm not sure where I could find Prazi locally, if I had it shipped they'd probably be dead by the time it got here. oh dilemmas. :unsure:

Lifeguard claims to treat a lot of things...

Lifeguard claims to treat a lot of things...

I'm aware, and I know that means it could be hit or miss. It does work on costia which is what the first few I got had.

I checked at work today, no prazi. We do have Melafix which I saw on another site but I dont think that would do any good(?) Unfortunately there're only 2 LPS in my area, the other is a fish store but they sell more fish and not a lot of supplies for actually keeping them. :goldfish: