Possible fatty liver disease?

Thank you! Yeah, he's DEFINITELY a lil' chunker! It's adorable, but, really unhealthy for him to be THAT big. Gotta fix that so he can have a longer, happy life. He'll still be a handsome little man if he gets a little more slim & trim. I don't know if he can, but, we'll try!

The wealth of information that is given by the mods and members of this forum is AMAZING! This place totally rocks my socks off. I couldn't help this little guy without the advice I am receiving here. I'm just following instructions, really, and totally can't take the credit. I will do my best to help him by following the advice I am given to the letter, though.

Thanks so much for the support & encouragement, as well as for the wealth of amazing information. :hug

Edited by JamieMonster

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex, Stakos, Tithra, and everyone else who contributes here is amazing... but they aren't doing the water changes for you, are they? :clapping:

Those back breaking water changes, money and time spent on your fish... that's all you baby! You deserve a pat on the back, and of course, so do all the wonderful mods and disease experts who give us all the chores to do for our fish! :D They really do know best.

...everyone...who contributes here is amazing... but they aren't doing the water changes for you, are they? :clapping:

:bingo:

This is what I've always emphasized. No matter how excellent the suggestions/help, if the fish keeper isn't showing dedication and determination, then all will not be well. I've seen so many instances where we were for sure the fish were going to go the pond over the rainbow bridge, but the tireless efforts of their keepers brought them back from the brink. :)

Anyway, Jamie, I think I would like to go ahead with the Metro-Meds, because that belly worries me. I usually try to err on the side of being conservative and let the fish take care of things, but I think this is one of those times where some help is needed.

Is there anyway you can weigh the fish? (Perhaps you did already, but I couldn't remember. Sorry.) Anyway, you can start MMs any time now. The key is to feed many small meals throughout the day if possible. While waiting for the weight, let's start with 20 pellets per day. :)

The fact that you say it feels like a water balloon makes me think it has to be in internal infection or that he can't regulate osmoregulate, but if that were the case he'd be pineconing right? This whole thing is very odd!

PCP, you can get incredibly bloated without the pineconing, and I've had a fish a couple of years ago that was like this. When I brought her home from Petsmart, I discovered that she was a bit bloated, and VERY soft in the belly (similar to this). At the time, we concluded that it was from impacted eggs.

Could it be a bit of my judging the gender wrong with some impacted eggs going on for this little cutie, as well? I am guessing a boy, as there are 2 small, white dots immediately under one eye, but, they are under a bit of wen tissue, so it is unclear to see if it is actually breeding stars, or just the way the skin is there, and I am just guessing. I haven't seen the white/ zig zaggy poop going on, though. Not to say that is the root cause of the problem at all, but, could it be a compounded situation? I will try to get a more clear vent shot tomorrow, along with more clear shots of the pectoral rays so that can be more clearly assessed, in case it is relevant to the treatment.

I don't have a kitchen scale currently- I can look for one next time I am out, hopefully tomorrow evening. I don't know how to weigh a fish, though, so I will check back when I have the scale. I will start the MMs tomorrow, after the big water change, aiming for 4-5 feedings a day of either 4 or 5 pellets with each feeding. I am sure this little guy is going to be MAJORLY happy to eat! LOL.

Just to be clear- no more epsom salts after this water change, correct?

The fact that you say it feels like a water balloon makes me think it has to be in internal infection or that he can't regulate osmoregulate, but if that were the case he'd be pineconing right? This whole thing is very odd!

PCP, you can get incredibly bloated without the pineconing, and I've had a fish a couple of years ago that was like this. When I brought her home from Petsmart, I discovered that she was a bit bloated, and VERY soft in the belly (similar to this). At the time, we concluded that it was from impacted eggs.

Ah I see, I guess I just see the latter so often I tend to associate one with the other. :)

EDIT: I'd also like to add that my female Roos has what looks like breeding stars but she is definitely a girl by all other means! (vent and pectorals) sometimes sexing can be tricky and other times it's so obvious.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

You got it- tomorrow= 100% WC to get the epsom out, continuing salt and prazi, and beginning a 2 week course of MMs (I have enough to continue for a few days longer than 14, if necessary. I also have medikoi, as you already know).

Thanks so much for the video, Helen. It is definitely appreciated.

Another good daY today. Almost no bottom sitting, & even sleeping an inch or 2 above substrate. He's also eating the MMs like a champ. Fingers crossed that all keeps going Well & that he starts to deflate a little soon!

Thanks so much!

Ok- so, appetite is good- he is getting 20 MM pellets daily, broken up into 4-5 feedings throughout the course of the day. All of the pellets are eaten without difficulty. He continues to be in good spirits, and is still staying up off the substrate. No more bottom sitting, and the only time he seems to be close to tank bottom is when he is looking for more food. He doesn't even rest on the bottom when he is sleeping for the night, anymore. He is pretty active for a fat fish in a 10 gallon tank, and stays busy most of the day.

His belly is still pretty big. When I feel it, I can still dent it with my thumb, but, I think the size of the dent may be getting smaller. It still feels somewhat soft underneath (about the same as before). I will get a new round of pics for comparison (top view, side view, and of the belly dent) either tonight or tomorrow. No MASSIVE changes after 2 days on the MMs, but, I am assuming this will take some time, anyways. He does seem to be doing better than when I first got him in general, though.

Sounds great. There won't be any massive changes in his belly, at least not the rapid changes that we might like to see. Right now, we just want to make sure to that he isn't harboring any internal infections, and then go from there. It will be a while before he gets to a shape resembling "normal," but he certainly can join the main tank before that.

Have you seen him poop?

Yes- it is small, normal goldie poops. No more huge streamers. Looks like my fish in my main tank. I haven't seen him do it yet today, but, I will keep an eye out to make sure he isn't getting constipated. If He is- I will be back to post again! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! He finished his MMs, and had zero complications during his 3 weeks in QT, so, I actually let him in the big tank on Monday. He is LOVING it in there! Hardly bottom sits at all anymore- swims all over the place., just as happy as can be. Still a little Chubbikins- but, he is otherwise healthy! I think I am calling him Ein (short for Einstein) since he has that perfectly brain shaped wen. ;)

I will try to get some pics in a bit. He loves all the space in his new tank, and seems to enjoy the company of his new friends- especially my lady moor Nellie. Those 2 took to each other like peas & carrots.

XD That is great! Hehe he's got a lady friend (; Is his skin fitting him better now? I am happy he is doing so well! He's probably getting some good exercise in now that he has lots of room to swim and less food to gorge on (:

He is still pretty smooshy, but, might be firming up a little? He is definitely getting more exercise, that is for sure! He has lived in a 10 gallon tank his whole life- when he got released in the 75 gallons, he just didn't know WHAT to do. Now, he swims around all day long, and even chases his reflection. He's a pretty cute lil fella! Him & Nell is also pretty cute- his special lady.

Thank you! :hug

I am also wanting pictures :) Great job Jamie, you are wonderful. He's lucky to have found you! Glad no more monster poops too... that was scary to read about lol!

Thank you, darlin! :hug

I'm pretty glad he found me, too! I enjoy having him here, and love it that he is getting a life outside of a 10 gallon tank.

The poomageddon was CRAZY! My common pleco doesn't even poop that much- and that gal is a friggen POO MACHINE! I am hoping he will take down weight- my fish only get a 1 1/2" square cube of food for all 15 of them broken up into 3-4 small feedings through the whole day- so, he should slim down, if he is able, and there should be no more poomageddons going on. I am hoping a nice, happy life for him from here on out! Can't wait til I get the 125 up & running for him to be able to live it up in there, too! Got a couple of rearranging/remodeling projects to do before the set up... but, it should be up & stocked before the end of Oct! 5 of my boys are staying in the 75 and the remaining 10 boys and girls are going to the 125- and no more are being added, as both of those tanks will be nicely stocked for adult fish with that amount. Fun times ahead! :D

Edited by JamieMonster