Sign in to follow this  
ncris25

Unknown disease in my 3year black moor goldfish,please help

ok your No2=Nitrite is about.50ppm and your No3=Nitrate is about 5-10ppm. Your tank isn't cycled yet, I would suggest doing 50% or more, water changes daily since your Ph out of tap is the same as your tank ;) we want to try to keep the Nitrites below .50ppm and keep your Nitrates below 20 but with fish who seem to be experienceing some problems I say nohigher than 10 this is even better.

My ph water test shows only values 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 ,so I don't know the exactly value,probably it's 7 comma something,and my tap water ph value is 7.11 so :) I think the ph is good if it has to be like the tap water one.

Ok I was thinking too that the nitrites should be 0 in the case of cycled tank,I will continue with the water changes,I'm glad that the values are okay :)

I just fed him with a little gel food and he loves it :) How many days should he eat this?And how much in a day?I can't weigh him,so I don't know how much is 1% of his body weigh...:D

You can feed him the Gel food as his main food, especially if it helps with his floating issues. It is best to feed goldfish multiple small feedings each day, so I would just give him a small bite sized amount of food every few hours or so. If he continues to do well, you can slowly feed more during each feeding but keep in mind goldfish do better and are healthier when they eat frequent, small meals. Think of them in nature, they normally wouldn't get a bunch of food in one sitting, but small bits of food as they forage throughout the day. :)

Is it ok if I keep the gel food in the fridge and not in the freezer?I'm afraid it will lose the texture after thawing or it will crumble in the tank.In how much time should I see the good effects of gel food?

keep about a weeks worth in the fridge then the rest in the freezer. It should be fine up to a month in the freezer and the gel food in thfridge up to a week ;) Also before we switch to gel food how is his swimming is it any better since the fasting?

I cut my gel food up into square inch cubes and put enough in the fridge for two weeks, then freeze the rest. When I'm on the last day of food, I get another two weeks worth out and put it in the fridge to defrost. I haven't had any issues with texture, however I use a premixed gel food so it may be different than a homemade kind.

I would expect to see at least some kind of change in a week or so, but I have never had a fish with floating issues so hopefully someone else can help give advise with this.

Good luck with him, you are doing great so far! :)

He is swimming the same way,is in the same condition.I posted here today a video with him from yesterday :)It's on the second page. Apparently anything I do he remains the same way! :( When I feed him he gets suddenly normal!

Ok thanks for the advices I will keep you posted with his improvements(hope so ) :)

Nighty night!

Edited by ncris25

have a good night but try keeping him on beans for 2 more days to see if it helps any ;)

Only green beans and no gel food?Even if I already gave him a little gel food?:)You're the expert!:D

yeah that will be fine i just want him have pure veggies to clean him out ;) I little taste test won't hurt him :rofl I want to see if that will help him swim better

So he was keeped only with green beans .He 's in the same condition.He pooped a lot, normal,green coloured,like the beans.

From tomorrow he will eat only the gel food :) I hope it will help... :(

Later edit: Do you know what can mean air bubbles on the goldfish's head?A girl has almost the same problem as me with her goldfish,he stands at the bottom of the tank on one side,belly swollen on one side,but also he has some air bubbles on his head and not eating since 5 days.Any ideea?

Edited by ncris25

Keep feeding him the beans and can we try something different too I want to rule out water quality since we still don't have ammonia readings. Is it possible to only keep 10 gallons in tge tank and do daily 100% water changes daily since water quality can cause this too. Once we rule out food and water quality and he is still like this we might need to start medicated food. Can you feel his belly by his vent and tell me what it feels like?

Okay but he was in this condition before that my tank decycled....And in about 1 week it will cycle again,in this time I will continue to do 50%-60% water changes at 2 days.And I guess that the ammonia can't be high because the tank isn't in the first days of cycling.And other reason for high ammonia can't be..

His belly where is swollen is soft...I will go now to the tank to feel his belly by his vent.

What kind of medicated food?Because I can't find here what you guys use...metro-med and other stuff :(

Edited by ncris25

Without actually knowing what your parimiters I am being safe since I don't want you to medicate him if it is water quality related. Also if you have a cycle bump you can still have traces of ammonia and nertites. Also when your tank is cycling you should do 75% water changes daily to keep water safe, but since he isn't well I think 100% water changes daily might help :) It is fine we can help you make a medicated food :)

He is going to to need a anitparisite food with metronidazole powder, praziquantel powder, and fenbendazole powder. The last is the Safestart dewormer.

I believe You might be able to get some of the meds off from Ebay, and I will continue to see where you can maybe locate some of the meds :)

I already have metronidazole.Praziquantel and fenbendazole are not available in my country,but I found this medicine,named Aniprantel,it's a dewormer for cats and dogs and it contains in one pill of 600 mg :fenbendazol 200 mg,praziquantel 50 mg,pyrantel pamoate 144 mg.Is this good ?

I need to check on the pamoate when I get home later :)

I would like to try this medicated food as soon as posible..he is not looking good...some days it seems even worse than usual :( Do you think it can be SBD?If yes,is there any medicine that could solve this??

What are your water readings?

Can we have a video update?