Sign in to follow this  
ncris25

Unknown disease in my 3year black moor goldfish,please help

Hello!My name is Cristina,I am from Romania-Bucharest,and i'm new in here.First of all,please excuse my english.blushing.gif

I have some problems with my goldfish,and I've tried almost anything,that's why I'm here,maybe you guys can help me.

I have my 120 liters(31 gallons) tank for 3 years,with only one goldfish(black moor telescope),named Felix.It's not planted.I have an internal filter,Jbl Cristal Profi i100,and recently I have added an Eheim Pickup ,because my Jbl sounded like it's going to broke(but now it's working fine).The temperature is 25-26 Celsius degrees(I know it should be less,but I can't decrease it more in the summer,as we have temperatures of 40-42 Celsius degrees outside.I was feeding him with JBL Novo Red flakes for goldfish,and 2-3 times a week with boiled peas.

Two months ago,we moved into another apartment,so we had to move the aquarium too.I had to take all the water out,keeped about 20 liters from it,throwed away the rest of it,and complete the rest to 120 liters with new water treated with Jbl Biotopol before(as always).-I don't know if this story is important ,but I mention to you all the events in the past month in my aquarium-

After 2 weeks my fish started to behave strange,he stood vertically almost all the time,sometimes he was swimming normally,sometimes slightly unbalanced,like I said,vertically,with the head down or up.After that point,I feed him only with boiled peas for 1 week,thinking that he was constipated,but nothing improved,actually it was worse,the fish was swollen on one side of the belly,and stayed on the other side most of the time,on the bottom of the tank.I talked to some fish experts from my country,on forums or pet-shops,because we don't have fish vets in here,and they recommended me to treat him with Jbl Furanol(has the same active ingredient as Sera Baktopur Direkt-nifurpirinol),because it could be some bacterial infection.So,I treated him as in the indications,in short baths with 1 pill/liter for 30 minutes,three days consecutive,and in the same time,in long bath ,with 1pill/20 liters,directly in the tank(I know it wasn't good,as that drug kills all the good bacterias from the filters,and the tank decycled,but I have no hospital tank to move the fish)for 5 days,after that changed 50% of water and added a new dose of 1pill/20 liters for another 5 days.In this time i feeded him very little.The fish was a little bit better,but with the same problem of balance.Yet,he was desperate about food,eat all i gave him,and wanted much more.The belly also appeared to look smaller,but no completely normal.I finished the treatment with Jbl Furanol,added active carbon in the filter for 48 hours to absorb the drug from the tank,and feed him 14 days with Sera Bakto Tabs.I made changes of water,20 liters(20% from the tank,because I decreased a little the water level,to help Felix) at 2-3 days,untill the tank will be cycled again,and also to provide clean and good water for the fish.I added Jbl Denitrol after the removal of the activ carbon,to help the good bacterial growth in the filter.He maintained his condition as I explained above,some days better,some days worse.For 3 days I feed him normally,with Tetra goldfish gold japan sinking sticks(I heard that the flakes aren't good for goldfish) and Sera spirulina tabs.

He has the same condition,seems to be fine ,eating but standing on one side most of the time.Also,his poop was jelly-likeshappy.gif and thin sometimes,with the colour of the food or white,and many bubbles of air in it,and sometimes it was normal. He isn't pineconed(no protruding scales).

Please help me.17.gif

Hi welcome to kokos I am so sorry your sweetie isn't well :hug but could you fill out the form above and ase this will make it easier and is more organized for quick viewing and help :) You sound like a awesome fish mommy :)

Edited by MissColonel

Also could you post a video of his behavior too :)

Unfortunately,I don't have water tests:( But as I said,I change about 20 liters every 2 days,because now I'm in the 8-10day(don't know exactly) of tank cycle(because the treatment decycled -i don't know if that's the right word in english-my tank).So I don't think I have problems with the parameters,because I try to keep them under control,and I have just one fish,anyway,I don't have another option now,I have to wait for the tank to cycle.

Here is my baby.Sorry for the bad quality of the video,it's made with the cellphone,and also in the room is dark.Sorry for my glass-algae too,I didn't removed them for a while,because I was busy with his problems ,and I didn't considered them a priority:(

Guest Jessie

Hmmm... It might be swim bladder desiese, but it isnt certain if you dont fill up the forum aboveyou, im not saying it truely is, it is only certain when you get help from more people and they say so, then that means your result. Try to get a water testing kit, and when it's done cycling, fll the forum. Thanks.

Please don't take this bad in anyway but I also want to check your tap too and current water readings since you never know what really could be going on ;) Also some LFS will check your water for free if you could bring some tank and tap water over there :) This is the form I want you fill out. It makes things easier for other people to jump in and help and no where to look if they want to check something ;) I am not trying to pester you, you deffinately have goldie experince :D just making a treatment plan can be effacted on the water readings or other factors ;)

Thank You for the video I will veiw it as soon as I can or another awesome member will be on shortly I am at work and they block videos ;)

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

We are here for you :hug:heart

I don't know what LFS is.

I don't know if I understand,are you saying to post the ammonia,nitrate,etc levels of my tap water?I can give you the values of my tap water ,because we have them on the internet,from the water producer ,for each area from the town.

I filled in my posts the informations from"other required info" .

Tap water values:

Ammonia level : 0.008 mg/liter

Nitrite level: <0.005 mg/liter

Nitrate level: 1.58 mg/liter

PH: 7.11

Chloramines: 0.24 mg/liter

GH: 7.29

I am sorry. LFS means Local fish store or your local pet store :) Thank You for your tap readings :) It is good to know your ph. If you bring your tank water to a pet store see if they can give you the numbers on ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate :) And PH

Edited by MissColonel

I would like to remind new members who would like to contribute to the diagnosis/suggestions in the D&D threads to please carefully read these two threads first:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99047-please-read-posting-in-dd/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88088-reminder/

It is really important that we get all relevant information first before throwing guesses out there, because this can be a matter of life and death.

Thanks,

Alex

I understand it's a must,but i really don't have water tests right now and I don't know when I can buy them,because I spent pretty much on his meds and food and etc lately.

Here in Romania people from the pet store are not that nice to test my tank water :) Unfortunately

I see your delemmia but please do try to get the water readings or a tester at least for the ammonia and Ph :) I will be home shortly and can view the video :) Hang in there :hug

MissColonel information so far is very helpful. With out the water quality numbers its really hard to tell you exactly what is going on hun... :( It would be like walking in to the docs office and saying Im sick but with no other information :(

Im just worried that with out the water numbers we might miss something... :(

Have you fasted this fish (not feed it for 2-3 days?)?

Yes,I had fasted him but only for 1 day,in the beginning of his symptoms

I will buy some Jbl 5 in 1 water tests (ph,gh,kh,no2,no3),it's all i can afford right now,the day after tomorow most likely ,and post here the results :) By the way thank you all!!Really!!

Edited by ncris25

GOSH He is super cute :heart Ok I do agree with Kokos lets try to fast him for 3 days, I know this gonna be hard since what a cutie ;) After that lets avoid peas but maybe some cooked green beans in tank water or some steamed spinach in tank water for about 3days ;) Sometimes peas can make a fish gassy. Another reason we like water readings is becasue High Nitrates can make fish floaty too. I know my Castor gets a little floaty if they get close to 15ppm. Also the most I can recommend for some water quailty control is maybe doing small water changes daily so we can try to give him the cleanest water without shocking him if your ph increase with time. Also can I recommend somthing that might help your cycle in the long run :) You actually don't need Carbon actually and can cause problems if not changed every 3-4 weeks I don't have Carbon in any of my filters :). Here is a awsome article on it and this can save you mony too :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/aquatic-equipment/simple-media-setup-for-hob-filters-r248

That is great thank You, they aren't that acurate though but we will take what we can get :D still see if any of your pets stores will test your water too ;)

Keep us posted if any behavoirs change and that is great on the test strips :)

Edited by MissColonel

I just went to the tank to see how he's doing,and he pooped a lot,I found like 4-5 poops of medium size length,normal in thickness,with a green color,like the spinach green,I think it's from the spirulina tabs because they have the same colour,and 1 with the orange-red sinking sticks color,also normal.He never pooped this much in the last weeks,I think that's good?But he has the same position.

I wil fast him the next 3 days and then feed him with spinach.How should I cook it?By steamed you mean not boiling it directly? :rolleyes:

He thanks you for the compliments!! :wub:

Edited by ncris25

Your fish is beautiful Ncris! I hope he starts feeling better soon and it's great you are working so hard to get him healthy again. Welcome to Koko's by the way! :)

You can boil it but that can take all the nutrients out of it so I steam mine in a basket like this with tank water 6096steamers.jpg

I am not sure if you have one of those? If you don't can boil it in some tank water but not alot so it can keep some nutrients :) Either way it will be fine :)

Edited by MissColonel

Thanks Jenny!When i bought him,he was completely black!!!And after one year he turned orange :D He is a survivor anyway and I love him!

Here's one picture with him from 2010! :)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg88/scaled.php?server=88&filename=dsc00971z.jpg&res=landing

@MissColonel,I get it now!

Edited by ncris25

Other Required Info:

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?:Jbl Cristal Profi i100+Eheim Pickup 2010
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?:Jbl Biotopol at water changes
  • * Water temperature?:25-26 Celsius degrees
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?:Before this problem,once a week,30% of the volume.Now(for one month)20% at 2 days.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?:Today,20 liters,20% from the water.

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 31 gals,126 liters(but now I maintain it with lower level,so they're 100 liters only),I have it for 3 years,in the same form,with the same fish.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?:One goldfish black moor telescope,I think he has 20-25 cm.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?:Before,once a day with Jbl Novo Red for goldfish and 2-3 times a week with boiled frozen peas.Now(for 3 days),Sera Spirulina Tabs-1tablet per day and Tetra Goldfish Gold Japan Sinking sticks-once a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?:No
  • * Any medications added to the tank?:Jbl Furanol (active ingredient nifurpirinol)in long baths(5 days directly in the tank x 2) and 3 short baths(30 minutes,in another container) ,Sera Bakto Tabs(medicated food) for 14 days
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.):He had once ,after one month of purchasing him,a completely red eye,but he recovered completely,and sometimes small and rare disequilibrium
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?:No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?:He mostly stays at the bottom,laying on one side,and seems to have problems with swimming.Also a little swollen on one side of the belly.He eats all I gave him.

Edited by ncris25

Ok after we do the fasting and food. i would like you if you can do a Gel food for this fish. Im thinking that the "Sera Spirulina Tabs-1tablet per day and Tetra Goldfish Gold Japan Sinking sticks-once a day" foods are causing this problem.

We have a wonderful selection of Gel food you can hand make for your fish. This keeps your fish from floating... :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/goldfish-food/share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters-r251

Also we can work with you on making your own recipe depending on how the fish reacts to foods :)

I'm giving him this food only since three days ago :) I'll try to make that gel food these days,sounds very complicated :D