Sign in to follow this  
Moor

Mistaking Bubbles For Food

What has seemed to be the case for a while now, it seems that my goldfish are chasing a relatively large bubble which is released by a turtle ornament of mine, as the chases it they think it's food and so their mouths are open, since their open they release even more bubbles from within them and this keeps happening until I give them a tad of food to fill them, but it starts all over again. It is basically proven that once the turtle is switched off they stop but...

Removing the turtle is basically not an option because my mum LOVES it but what can I do? EEK I need :help:!

I feed them flakes and pellets, should I switch to slow sinking pellets so that they learn that food doesn't float?

Lots of fish like to eat bubbles for sure. I think switching to sinking food or soaking your pellets is a good idea. That way your fish learn to look on the bottom of the tank for their food, not gulp at the surface. Also, pellets tend to be much more nutritional than flakes :)

issue with ornament is unresolvable if your mother won't allow it to be removed.

always feed sinking food. always pre-soak it so that it doesn't cause your fish problems in their bellies where air is released from the food trying to dissolve. soak the food in a cup of tank water, when the food is soft, add it to the tank. it will sink to the bottom and they will feed with no problems.

Yes I also think pre soaking and or feeding sinking food is best for your goldfish :) and in time they won't even notice your bubbling ornament ;)

Yes I also think pre soaking and or feeding sinking food is best for your goldfish :) and in time they won't even notice your bubbling ornament ;)

Not sure about that, my fish are fed sinking food and Penny still spends large amounts of time eating bubbles from the bubble wand :rofl

If they keep eating bubbles I'd keep an eye for signs of floatiness, in which case it really would be better to remove it.

My fish chase & play with the bubbles in the tank all the time, too. They eat sinking food, and I don't feed them more if they are chasing bubbles. With mine, though, I can't 100% tell if it is that they are trying to eat them, or just looking for something to do to alleviate boredom. It really could go either way with these goof balls. It kind of looks more like they are just playing, at least with the fish in my tank.

Add me for another vote for switching to a pre-soaked, sinking food. Also my vote is to NOT feed them more when they start eating bubbles. Goldies are fairly easy to condition behavior with, and they very well may learn "eat bubbles= that chump giving us more food"... it'd be pretty silly to be punked by a goldfish. ;)