Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Does anyone have a picture of flukes?

I am worried about some reddened veins in Caligos tail. It isn't super noticeable, and she seems normal and healthy. But I would like to know what they look like so I can make sure that it isn't flukes. I have a small bottle of prazi pro. Would it be worth it to give her some? The parameters are normal and I noticed the veins when I picked her up. Generally, should their tail not show any veins, ever?

hun.. you can't see them by eye, do you have a microscope?

hun.. you can't see them by eye, do you have a microscope?

I do not. I guess its more, does anyone have a picture of the outer symptoms, rather than just the flukes? I dont know what flashing or reddened veins look like and I am not having good luck with finding a picture haha.

here is one type of fluke i found on my fish:

here is another type

Oh my gosh, those things are terrifying. Why can't all weird microbugs look like water bears!??

Edited by LovelyChaos

if you're concerned for flukes, the treatment is so mild that it should be done. prazi combined with salt is the ususal mild qt treatment and can be carried out almost anytime. the only time i refrain from advising salt is if a fish has had prior dropsy symptoms and was successfully treated. in my experience dropsy fish remain sensitive to salt.

would you post a video of your fish's behaviour that is concerning you so that we can help you decide?

She does it very sporadically. She will stay in one corner at the very top and just stay there. Also, I can see two redder veins on the outer edge of her tail. She doesn't gasp and I don't know if she is flashing either.

Oh, and I am uploading the video. I think I got a good look at her tail with the veins too....

Veins are a parasite symptom, right?

Edited by LovelyChaos

She does it very sporadically. She will stay in one corner at the very top and just stay there. Also, I can see two redder veins on the outer edge of her tail. She doesn't gasp and I don't know if she is flashing either.

ok.. the symptoms you are describing allude many possibilities.. could you please answer all the questions from the white box at the top of this page by copying it and pasting it into your text?

ok.. the symptoms you are describing allude many possibilities.. could you please answer all the questions from the white box at the top of this page by copying it and pasting it into your text?

Sure thing!

• * Ammonia Level
  • ~.25 (she is getting a water change today.)
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • 8.0, don't have a kH test but the water is moderately soft.
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • 7.6, moderately soft.
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • Mardel Strips, API ammonia drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • No filter yet, just an airstone
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • 2x prime
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • once a day, 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • yesterday, 80%

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • 20gallon long, been up for 3 days
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • 1 4 inch oranda
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • 2 flakes, 2 peas, once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • Oranda, quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • none
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • Slightly reddened veins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • Staying in only one corner
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • Salt at 2%
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

ok.. it seems she may just feeling a little bit of stress from the daily routine, some fish handle the commotion better than others. i have notices the difference in tollerance amongst my fish too. if you have salt at 0.2%, i would go ahead and add the prazi. we normally do this during a qt as most of us don't have microscopes and flukes are so common. it is almost impossible to get a fluke free fish nowdays.

have you considered a series of salt dips for your new fish? the salt dips are normally done once every other day for 3 sessions. they too are harmless and highly successful in resolving any fluke problem. they also compliment well the qt process of salt with prazi.

will you be showing a video of your goldfish?

Video:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid4.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy118%2Fsoy_mocha_latte%2FAnimals%2FDSCN1565.mp4">

Sorry for the darkness, it is dark in my house

Actually this is a lot darker than i thought. I will try to get a better one pretty soon when she does it again.

Thank you moderating team for being so patient with me. I am on the 911 forums too much >:

Edited by LovelyChaos

what a beautiful oranda :heart

it's common that in a white or translucent coloured fin that red veins are more apparent. it's also common that in any coloured fin that the slightest amount of stress will show that vein more. in my honest opinion, i don't see any immediate concern for your goldie.. although the video is quite dark, i think that she's behaving normally through the qt process. so many changes for her every day.

i will still advise that you add the prazi given that it's so mild yet so effective. i would further recommend the salt dips if you feel you would like to go that path.. it's an additional, some think perhaps a little extreme, i think it's ok.. up to you really.. if anything, i would like to see you treating with prazi as a minimum and in addition to current salt treatment.

Yoi, I hope your fish feels better.

Streaks in the tail? Could she have been exposed to nitrites, while still in the petshop?

what a beautiful oranda :heart

it's common that in a white or translucent coloured fin that red veins are more apparent. it's also common that in any coloured fin that the slightest amount of stress will show that vein more. in my honest opinion, i don't see any immediate concern for your goldie.. although the video is quite dark, i think that she's behaving normally through the qt process. so many changes for her every day.

i will still advise that you add the prazi given that it's so mild yet so effective. i would further recommend the salt dips if you feel you would like to go that path.. it's an additional, some think perhaps a little extreme, i think it's ok.. up to you really.. if anything, i would like to see you treating with prazi as a minimum and in addition to current salt treatment.

Thank you! She is absolutely lovely. The prettiest I have seen at my LFS. I had to have her ^-^

Alright, I will do prazi. What is the usual prazi water change schedule, and does it matter if I do not have a filter with that? She will be getting one this week.

oh.. and by the way, you are not on these forums too much.. anything of concern needs to be posted, even if we feel there is no problem.. it's better to be safe than sorry. early detection in any situation, pet or human is the best way. feel welcome to post whenever the need arises.

Yoi, I hope your fish feels better.

Streaks in the tail? Could she have been exposed to nitrites, while still in the petshop?

Very possibly. They don't know too much about quarantine procedures and goldfish sensitivity, though I was happy to see them reading up on it, as I suggested that they do this to keep from having sick fish (: I did not test the water, and I added it in with her because it was clean and a very small amount.

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.

Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.1% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

oh.. and by the way, you are not on these forums too much.. anything of concern needs to be posted, even if we feel there is no problem.. it's better to be safe than sorry. early detection in any situation, pet or human is the best way. feel welcome to post whenever the need arises.

Hehe well I would like to have less of a need to be on ): I would love to have all of my fish healthy and noticeably healthy. 3 in quarantine is making me a little crazy hah.

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.

Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.1% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

And inbetween water changes, I continue to add prime, correct? She doesn't have a filter currently. Should I wait to start this with a filter so the water can at least be filtered somewhat so she doesnt just stew in her waste?

Edited by LovelyChaos

Water bears are still terrifying. :o

I think they are adorable! And very helpful for determining when water is ready to be recycled! But they are a little creepy haha

yes, continue to treat with prime. prime will always be a part of the routine. any water wether qt or normal tank routine requires dechlorinating and binding of toxic chemicals. sometimes it's required even if the water is chlorine free.

Yes ma'am. I will be back on here if she gets worse or needs a salt dip (:

Yes ma'am. I will be back on here if she gets worse or needs a salt dip (:

:heart please post back with any change you feel needs addressing :) good luck :)

She doesn't have a filter currently. Should I wait to start this with a filter so the water can at least be filtered somewhat so she doesnt just stew in her waste?

hun, i forgot to answer this one for you.. ok, whilst there is no cycled filter, yes, you will be needing to do your daily waterchanges and redosing prazi on the prazi days shown on the schedule.

when you receive your new filter for the qt tank, will you be seeding it with cycled media from the main tank? if you are fortunate to establish a cycle in the qt like this, then business as usual, you can treat without the need to be wc'ing every day and follow the schedule as advised above :) hope that makes sense.

She doesn't have a filter currently. Should I wait to start this with a filter so the water can at least be filtered somewhat so she doesnt just stew in her waste?

hun, i forgot to answer this one for you.. ok, whilst there is no cycled filter, yes, you will be needing to do your daily waterchanges and redosing prazi on the prazi days shown on the schedule.

when you receive your new filter for the qt tank, will you be seeding it with cycled media from the main tank? if you are fortunate to establish a cycle in the qt like this, then business as usual, you can treat without the need to be wc'ing every day and follow the schedule as advised above :) hope that makes sense.

No seeding new media, I have to make sure that the 55 is safe anyways, Lord Jabu Jabu took up residence there for a few days and so I want to keep an eye on the tank to make sure no new developments happen.