Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

Advice on a spooky goldfish

Guest Mike and Linda

I have a 2½ year old calico fantail who gets spooked very easily and he is starting to get all my others in that spooky mood. What would you do?

They are in a 44g tank. Lots of room light. I removed the backing on the tank. He is near a window.

He has been like this for a couple of years now.

Do you have plants for them to hide in? That could help. Also, you could do small feedings when you come near the tank, so that instead of being skittish, they would be eager.

Guest Mike and Linda

I have tried all that. They all hover near each other because of him. All i have to do is just lift my hand and he spooks. I have to try and come up with a plan but not sure what to do with him yet.

Maybe you could QT that one for awhile and see if the others change. Also, you could work on handfeeding the skittish fish to see if he calms down.

Is the hovering new? Could it be a sign of something? Have you prazi'd in the past year?

Guest Mike and Linda

Yes the prazi pond plus has been done on all my tanks. I just did a reprazi on every one within the last 3 months. These are new fish that have been qt for about 3 months that I added to the tank.

That is why I did the reprazi on all my tanks. I thought that this would have calmed him down. I tried to put him in a 20g and he freaked out so I had to put him back.

The others were fine in QT.

Edited by Mike and Linda

With my my fish, I find a good way to bring them around to you is to hand feed them. I started by holding the food and dropping it when they got close (curiosity and the smell of food will get the better of them at some point), and them working them into taking it from my fingers. My common and comets actually have to eat of the palm of my hand, because 3 of the are so big, but you get the point XD

You should! It takes a bit of patients at first, but once the fish catch on, it's totally worth it! It tickles :P

Your "old" spooky fish has taken on a leadership role. Goldfish follow the leader. The best thing to do is remove spooky fish to another tank for about a month, and allow the others to establish their own culture. Give them lots of attention, and feed those who come to your hand multiple times a day. When they are fully tame, you can return the spooky one who will probably fall in step with the others.

My Spookyfish (that's her name) made every fish she lived with spooky until I put her in a pond with older fish who all ate from my hand. In a week she was tame.

My red cap is a spooky. she is very timid and loves to hide. I put in lots of plants, a bubble wall. I cut on the room light wait a little then turn on the tank light. If i play with the black moore a little and he starts swimming around she will come out to. then i feed them moving slowly, try warm him up slowly and give him time to calm down befor feeding. she is a lot better now and i have had them about seven months.

Guest Mike and Linda

Your "old" spooky fish has taken on a leadership role. Goldfish follow the leader. The best thing to do is remove spooky fish to another tank for about a month, and allow the others to establish their own culture. Give them lots of attention, and feed those who come to your hand multiple times a day. When they are fully tame, you can return the spooky one who will probably fall in step with the others.

My Spookyfish (that's her name) made every fish she lived with spooky until I put her in a pond with older fish who all ate from my hand. In a week she was tame.

I took your advice and removed my largest fish who is spooky. I put him into the 20g cycled tank. I will pay attention to him for one month and see how it goes before I add him back.

Actually, I meant to pay lots of attention to your new fish so they get tame. When you add the big fish back, he will be the newcomer and should quickly learn that the fish that come to you for food get more to eat.

I took your advice and removed my largest fish who is spooky. I put him into the 20g cycled tank. I will pay attention to him for one month and see how it goes before I add him back.

Actually, I meant to pay lots of attention to your new fish so they get tame. When you add the big fish back, he will be the newcomer and should quickly learn that the fish that come to you for food get more to eat.

Or do both. ;)