I need a pushy fish!

Frenzy

I saw a beautiful calico ryukin nymph that was slightly stunted (I will probably get her because this shop does not specialize in fish and "hardly ever makes sales" in the fish department) and I am worried that she may at one point get eggbound.

I have wondering what tankmate I should get her when I realized I needed a pushy male fish to nag her when she had eggs until she released them. Maybe not another part ryukin just for variety.

Are there any types of male goldfish which are particularly pushy but not going to hurt her?

Edited by Frenzy

This topic confuses me.

Why would she get eggbound at the petstore with other fish?

What makes you think she was stunted?

If you really want her, get her, as long as you have enough room. You say you do not own enough goldfish, from this and your user picture/signature I take you already have others? Then why do you need to get a mate for this particular fish, when you have others?

There is no way to say how pushy a male is, and it does not depend on the breed either. It's more of a personality thing. And a female goldfish does not have to have a male push her to lay eggs. I know there are multiple members on here that have only females in a tank, and there are no issues. :)

Sorry everyone, I made a mistake.

Thread Closed.

What do you mean thread closed? Mistake?

I thought that you needed a male fish with females so they wouldn't get eggbound but it is not true and I am kind of embarrassed about it.

There is no need to be embarrassed. We all learn new things every day.

Besides releasing eggs, females also can re-absorb them.

It is true that females will have eggs whether males are around or not. I am actually one of those people who think that having a male fish with these issues when the time comes is a good thing. :)

There is no need to be embarrassed. We all learn new things every day.

Besides releasing eggs, females also can re-absorb them.

It is true that females will have eggs whether males are around or not. I am actually one of those people who think that having a male fish with these issues when the time comes is a good thing. :)

Thanks! :)

Wow, they can re-absorb them?

They can, but whether they do or not is something we can predict.

It's been suggested by Helen Roberts that not feeding the gravid goldfish may encourage the fish to re-absorb the eggs.

They can, but whether they do or not is something we can predict.

It's been suggested by Helen Roberts that not feeding the gravid goldfish may encourage the fish to re-absorb the eggs.

I guess that would make sense, if they need extra nutrition.

Fascinating!